#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

From Guru:

Budgeted at roughly $150M, Incredible stars Edward Norton as Bruce Banner with Liv Tyler, Tim Roth, and William Hurt co-starring. Reviews were mostly good and were much better than those for Lee's film. Initial audience reactions have been encouraging too as the actioner's CinemaScore rating was an A-.

Yep, you are right.  And that got a 2.43X. 

But it was a defacto sequel to a film with even worse legs. I think MOS falls right in line with average first in franchise SH films with the ol' reliable 2.65 multis. Which would put 300m squarely in its sights if you factor in the 12m.

Another Father's Day SH film:

Fantastic Four 2. If MOS emulates that film's multi: 273m(if you factor in the 12m)

But, again, that's a sequel so...

• Like 1

I agree with you AA.  There are a lot of variables here.  I don't think we can know definitively what it will make from here on out.

And there is no tension between me and AA, we love each other.  :)

• Like 3

... these aren't really good reasons, except for the last one... but whatever. :P

I'm silly so silly reasons :P

but srsly I cant watch a movie & root for the hero/actor who is bland for me :ph34r:

Like compared to RDJ or Garfield or other charismatic men (imo) Cavill is so not my taste

the visuals are not enough

I want to unintentionally laugh @ the sight of him cant help it & I'd probably end up rooting for the bad guy :lol:

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 1

The ultimate comparison film for MOS is of course BB.  BB was a reboot of one of the biggest SHs and started on Father's Day weekend. But BB started on Wed, however, if you consider the extra previews MOS got, it  may be a better comparison film than most are probably thinking. We'll see...

• Like 1

What does everyone think about this... Steven Spielberg's Nightmare Scenario For Hollywood Is Already Coming True (Business insider)

A spiritual follow-up article to Steven Spielberg Predicts 'Implosion' of Film Industry (The Hollywood Reporter)

Of all the Studios, Marvel seems to be the only one that doesn't really do small budget films, but then again (so far, aside from TIH) they really hadn't had trouble making money, especially OS.

TL;DR: Steven Spielberg says pretty soon you'll have to pay something like $25 a ticket for high-budget high-risk movies (e.g. Iron Man) and $7 for relatively lower-budget fare (e.g. Lincoln). Follow-up article says WWZ can be viewed 2 days early by anyone who wants to pay $50 per ticket (includes popcorn, digital copy of movie in 3 months, and other "freebies".. no thanks).

That will never work. So many people would not go to the films. The ones that bomb, would probably bomb harder.

I agree with you AA.  There are a lot of variables here.  I don't think we can know definitively what it will make from here on out.

And there is no tension between me and AA, we love each other.  :)

Posted Image

• Like 1

There are really no other 3-day comparable titles to MOS. The more comparable, TASM, Begins and Returns titles opened on a weekday so it's best to wait till we have an idea of the full first week. The question is if we count walmart or not in projecting totals.

Edited by Louis Lux

The ultimate comparison film for MOS is of course BB.  BB was a reboot of one of the biggest SHs and started on Father's Day weekend. But BB started on Wed, however, if you consider the extra previews MOS got, it  may be a better comparison film than most are probably thinking. We'll see...

I don't know if it's a great comparison, as this was built off the hype of the Nolan Bat trilogy to an extent. So it's not a true "starting over" point the way BB was

I don't know if it's a great comparison, as this was built off the hype of the Nolan Bat trilogy to an extent. So it's not a true "starting over" point the way BB was

So how about IM1? I think the hype for MOS is definitely way bigger, but WOM remains to be seen. With the big OW and 3D/IMAX boost, I think it can pass IM1. But 400M+ will depend on the WOM, if it is as good as IM1, then there's a chance.

Baumer, is this you on this article?

Here's a better breakdown of that figure:

@baumer72 @ScottMendelson $44M FRI, $56M including presales

— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) June 15, 2013

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/man-steel-already-crushing-previous-184758258.html

Yes, ERC responds to tweets all the time.

• Like 2

Okay, heading out for a matinee show of MOS with my friends. Hope that I like it  :) 

Watching IM3 and NYSM again too. My Saturday is looking good  :D

• Like 8

I'm going to MOS as well....nothing to do on this Saturday and its cheap, so maybe I'll like it more this time.

• Like 3

I'm going to MOS as well....nothing to do on this Saturday and its cheap, so maybe I'll like it more this time.

Just purchase ticket and don't see movie.

Oh wait, your ticket won't count towards Saturday's gross since you didn't actually see movie, according to some people here.

Edited by VGPOP
  • Like 4

Okay, heading out for a matinee show of MOS with my friends. Hope that I like it :) Watching IM3 and NYSM again too. My Saturday is looking good :D

This may be the first time in a while in which I may watch 3 movies this weekend. Saw The Internship late last night. Fun movie after a few drinks :lol: probably catch TiTE or NYSM today and thinking MoS tomorrow.