#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

I think people are forgetting that Superman is huge bait for fathers/sons, so I wouldn't be surprised by a soft drop on Sunday.

MOS will have summer weekdays ahead of it and July is wide open, very few surefire or monster hits on the way. Plus WOM seem  to be pretty good so a 3.0 multiplier is possible (same as 300 btw).

Edited by Louis Lux

I think people are forgetting that Superman is huge bait for fathers/sons, so I wouldn't be surprised by a soft drop on Sunday.

MOS will have summer weekdays ahead of it and July is wide open, very few surefire or monster hits on the way. Plus WOM seem  to be pretty good so a 3.0 multiplier is possible.

Hey guys, 

New to the forums and just wanted to ask what the multiplier means? Does it mean the final gross will be 3.0x OW (using the example above)?

300m does appear to be the goal right now. That would probably be what BB adjusts to with inflation and 3D. Obviously it can go lower or higher than that. It just appears to be a good target for it after an opening like this.

I think it should be shooting for 325 million, but maybe that's a bit optimistic. But I think 300 million shouldn't be a problem with this kind of opening.

Edited by #MrPink of Steel

Is that Saliva? Not as offensive as Nickelback, but that TV spot clearly blew its chances at a 50% increase on Father's Day.

Surely a GAF'er such as you would appreciate that song given our raging hard on's for Sony :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0XxGF2x-0o

EDIT: In retrospect, maybe not given the Master Chief avatar

Edited by #MrPink of Steel

Hey guys, 

New to the forums and just wanted to ask what the multiplier means? Does it mean the final gross will be 3.0x OW (using the example above)?

Welcome. :)

Yes, a multiplier is basically how many multiples of its opening weekend a movie will gross. Breaking it down further, an "internal multiplier" is the multiplier within the opening weekend, based off the opening day.

btw, I think $350 is the realistic target starting off, not $300.

I think it should be shooting for 325 million, but maybe that's a bit optimistic. But I think 300 million shouldn't be a problem with this kind of opening.

Jury's still out on what the WOM will be. Right now I would say it is positive but still a bit early to tell. And how much of a rush factor there was for this. Right now I would agree that 300m should happen but look at IM3. People thought it was gonna pass DMC no problem and that's not happening.

Yes, a multiplier is basically how many multiples of its opening weekend a movie will gross. Breaking it down further, an "internal multiplier" is the multiplier within the opening weekend, based off the opening day.

Thanks! When people are talking about drops of 10% or 20% for Saturday or Sunday is that a drop from the previous day or is it always referring to the Friday number?

Thanks! When people are talking about drops of 10% or 20% for Saturday or Sunday is that a drop from the previous day or is it always referring to the Friday number?

It's the daily drop. You'll also see a lot of comparisons to previous weekends and/or previous week days, but those are usually easy to figure from the context ("this Thursday's down only 27% from last week", etc).

350m? A little high don't ya think?

Jury's still out on what the WOM will be. Right now I would say it is positive but still a bit early to tell. And how much of a rush factor there was for this. Right now I would agree that 300m should happen but look at IM3. People thought it was gonna pass DMC no problem and that's not happening.

Word of mouth domestically for IM3 is not as great as some here on the forums believe. It's actually quite average. If the WOM was great it would have had better holds so far.

Edited by ACCA

Best Movie of the Decade so far is TTSS. Most emotionally gripping and affecting is a tie between Weekend and Amour. And probably the most memorable are those three plus WNTTAK and Skyfall. Skyfall especially, I can still remember everything about that movie. It was an expertly crafted movie that juxtaposed modernity and moving into the future with tradition and empire. The writers totally outdid themselves, and absolutely drove in the message with the Tennyson quote (which I loved before the movie), "We are not now that strength which in old days moved heaven and earth. That which we are; we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive to seek to find and not to yield." That was beautiful and made me tear up a little. 

SF is amazing :wub: