Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

Spiderman 2 says HI!!Iron Man 2 says WHAT UP!!STiD, says WORD!Expendables 2 says F*CK THAT LOGICHow many times are some of you going to get burned by holding on to this notion that IT HAS TO BE BIGGER FOR A SEQUEL.That's a lie, you build up your expectations then go off starting WWW threads mesmerized by how your brilliant box office analysis skills were thwarted.

This post is so right that this thread should be closed and another re-opened.It's a fallacy that the sequel will automatically be bigger than the original. When it does happen, it's usually from a much loved movie that's been well received by audiences and critics alike (except for Transformers that it is). Edited by Deathlife
  • Like 2

With that said, proving that Warner will learn from MOS mistakes and drop David Goyer, MOS2 prospects do look amazing, if they don't wait too long for a sequel.

I am still waiting why you called me immature out of the blueAlso they wont drop Goyer, the most they will do is add Jonathan Nolan

TASM2 certainly looks more anticipated than anything else next summer, so while I don't think it'll break any records, $1B WW is in cards, which is in fact a personal record for the Spider-Man franchise.

ASM2 won't be spending half the movie on Spidey's origin, so it is already a better movie than the first ASM. :bop:

• Like 1

Wow...

I know Nikki's a WB gal and all and probably has her feelings a lil hurt, but still, why did she have to trash WWZ like that after it had taken the #2 spot from MOS?

Her last Friday update said MOS (her est $19M) and WWZ (her est $20M) would be in a neck and neck race but we all know it wasn't even close, but to trash WWZ and Paramount on her latest update... Nikki, Nikki.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/world-war-z-begins-international-roll-out-strongly-in-australia-korea/

Here and overseas, World War Z is in direct competition with Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ 3D Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters in the widest release) which going into today was still the big #1 leader in the worldwide marketplace. Now it’s #3 domestic with $12.7M Friday (-71% from a week ago) and another huge weekend around $42.7M for a cume around $210M from just 11 days in U.S./Canadian release. Global numbers to come. 

Frankly, I’ve never found traditional zombies scary – they’re slow, so just outrun them, right? - although World War Z has fast-moving zombies who swarm. But it’s not like lethal lasers are leaping out of their eyes. And these are PG-13 zombies who don’t look much different from George Romero’s 1968 horror classic Night Of The Living Dead or AMC’s Walking Dead. They’re more like the zombies from Dawn Of The Dead and 28 Days Later. These also are effing expensive zombies. Much has been made of the film’s mega-cost: between $220M-$230M brought down to $200M by tax incentives in locations Scotland, Malta, England, and Hungary, or so the studio claims.

World War Z just might (emphasis on the word might) overperform despite stiff competition. But the big question mark is all that bad buzz which World War Z endured for six months and how much it will affect filmgoers. Paramount is quick to acknowledge that bad-mouthing has created low expectations and is projecting only mid-$40sM this weekend.

...oh Nikki Finke.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

LOL At the meltdowns about the MOS number. That's the same drop as IM3.Actually, that's not a good sign :unsure:

Well, when you add in the previews to MoS (since IM3 had its Thursday previews added to Friday,) we're looking at a worse drop than Green Lantern

• Like 2

Wow... I know Nikki's a WB gal and all and probably has her feelings a lil hurt, but still, why did she have to trash WWZ like that after it had taken the #2 spot from MOS? Her last Friday update said MOS (her est $19M) and WWZ (her est $20M) would be in a neck and neck race but we all know it wasn't even close, but to trash WWZ and Paramount on her latest update... Nikki, Nikki. http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/world-war-z-begins-international-roll-out-strongly-in-australia-korea/ ...oh Nikki Finke.  :ph34r:

Wwz wont make its budget, mos will. Domestically

I know Nikki's a WB gal and all and probably has her feelings a lil hurt, but still, why did she have to trash WWZ like that after it had taken the #2 spot from MOS?

Nikki is just pissed that RTH humiliated her on the MOS estimates, so she is taking it out on WWZ. What a joke! :rulez:

I am still waiting why you called me immature out of the blueAlso they wont drop Goyer, the most they will do is add Jonathan Nolan

I didn't call you immature out of the blue. It's just that Dman7 trollish ways remind me a lot what you used to be last year with TASM and TA. Regardless the fact that you did troll IM3 on the boards a little bit this year, I do think that you are a changed man. Parenthood did you good, so props, I guess? ;)

They were trying too hard to make it like Iron Man, but Hal was too unlikeable. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Hal was a jackass.  The opening scene where he's driving like an asshole kinda ruined him from the get-go for me. 

ASM2 won't be spending half the movie on Spidey's origin, so it is already a better movie than the first ASM. :bop:

I do agree with this, regardless the fact that TASM is my favorite Spider-Man film. I feel like a lot of MoS fans will be able to feel a lot like me in the upcoming years regarding this Superman reboot.

Goyer is part of the same creative team that's made WB over 2 billion. He's not going anywhere

Yeah but everyone know Nolan is the true architect behind all of that. Look at Goyers track record when he rides solo. Its not great, and thats putting it lightly.

• Like 3

Nikki is just pissed that RTH humiliated her on the MOS estimates, so she is taking it out on WWZ. What a joke! :rulez:

No. I've noticed that Nikki talks up WB and downs everything else. But this bad mouthing of WWZ is really disturbing. The movie had a great OD and she trashes it like that? That's a new low, even for her.

Except... IM3's Thursday previews were included in its Friday

And it didn't had a 63% drop on weekend 2...it had a 58.4 % drop from its ow (including previews)...not that it's that important.

• Like 1

Wow...

Her last Friday update said MOS (her est $19M) and WWZ (her est $20M) would be in a neck and neck race but we all know it wasn't even close, but to trash WWZ and Paramount on her latest update... Nikki, Nikki.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/world-war-z-begins-international-roll-out-strongly-in-australia-korea/

...oh Nikki Finke.

:ph34r:

Wonder how much WB paid her to trash WWZ like that, lol.

Yeah but everyone know Nolan is the true architect behind all of that. Look at Goyers track record when he rides solo. Its not great, and thats putting it lightly.

It's downright awful, and I'm sugar coating. If he leaves DC Warner today I doubt he'd be getting a job at Marvel Studios or any other superhero making studio.
  • Like 1

And it didn't had a 63% drop on weekend 2...it had a 58.4 % drop from its ow (including previews)...not that it's that important.

Yeah, compared to the 77% drop for MoS if you count its previews. Green Lantern dropped 72%.

• Like 2

Wow... I know Nikki's a WB gal and all and probably has her feelings a lil hurt, but still, why did she have to trash WWZ like that after it had taken the #2 spot from MOS? Her last Friday update said MOS (her est $19M) and WWZ (her est $20M) would be in a neck and neck race but we all know it wasn't even close, but to trash WWZ and Paramount on her latest update... Nikki, Nikki. http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/world-war-z-begins-international-roll-out-strongly-in-australia-korea/ ...oh Nikki Finke.  :ph34r:

That's pretty petty for Nikki.