Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

I give up.MoS simply got destroyed by WWZ and MU.No room for it in the market.We're headed to a 40M weekend. (-65% drop).Terrible.

I think it will still do at least 45m. And it may look bad for MOS, but WWZ and MU overperformed and took a lot of the box office away from it. I personally don't see WWZ having good legs.

As I said, it was always going to be a tough weekend for MOS.

I think it will still do at least 45m. And it may look bad for MOS, but WWZ and MU overperformed and took a lot of the box office away from it. I personally don't see WWZ having good legs. As I said, it was always going to be a tough weekend for MOS.

Absolutely it's because of the openers. 3 movies can't coexist if 2 of them does what the 3rd one has.

SR definitely still has imo one of the best superhero-reveal moments in movie comicdom (or is it comic moviedom? movieverse? :P ). That sequence wherein Supes catches the crashing passenger plane in the middle of a major league baseball game and carefully sets it down on the field and the crowd jumps up in applause. That was pretty awesome.

that was a lovely moment but Im not into such obviously heroic moments to be fair

the applause was cheesy :ph34r:

• Like 1

SATURDAY 3 AM, 3RD & 4TH UPDATEHere’s how the domestic box office shaped up for Friday, according to my sources. Disney/Pixar’s 3D toon prequelMonsters University (playing in 4,004 theaters) received a coveted ‘A’ CinemScore from audiences to keep the positive chatter flowing. It opened to a gargantuan #1 with $29M Friday (including Thursday’s $2.6M late show tally) and a likely $79M weekend. That would make it Pixar’s second highest opening ever, behind only Toy Story 3. Yowza!

Placing #2 is Paramount’s 3D World War Z (3,607 theaters) co-financed with Skydance Productions which received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from audiences to help word of mouth. It’s overperforming with $24M Friday and at least $62M for the weekend. That has the studio giddy with relief after all that pre-release bad buzz for Brad Pitt’s zombie pic. Paramount execs claim statistics show only one original movie a year opens at $50+M. “Franchises open bigger but originals play to better multiples as people start discovering them.”

In #3 is last weekend’s top opener, Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ 3D Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters in the widest release), with $13.2M Friday (-71% from a week ago) and around $42.7M for a cume around $210M.

Summer 2013 is still sizzling with total moviegoing this weekend around $225M which is a big +44% over last year. I’ll have the Top Ten based on Friday estimates with fuller analysis later this morning.

SR definitely still has imo one of the best superhero-reveal moments in movie comicdom (or is it comic moviedom? movieverse? :P ). That sequence wherein Supes catches the crashing passenger plane in the middle of a major league baseball game and carefully sets it down on the field and the crowd jumps up in applause. That was pretty awesome.

MoS lacked that big crowd cheering action beat. SR was a dull and mellow movie overall but I must give credit when credit is due. That plane saving sequence got me at the edge of my seat. Pure Superman's awesomeness. Like the stadium crowd, you just want to applaud Superman.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

SATURDAY 3 AM, 3RD & 4TH UPDATEHere’s how the domestic box office shaped up for Friday, according to my sources. Disney/Pixar’s 3D toon prequelMonsters University (playing in 4,004 theaters) received a coveted ‘A’ CinemScore from audiences to keep the positive chatter flowing. It opened to a gargantuan #1 with $29M Friday (including Thursday’s $2.6M late show tally) and a likely $79M weekend. That would make it Pixar’s second highest opening ever, behind only Toy Story 3. Yowza!

Placing #2 is Paramount’s 3D World War Z (3,607 theaters) co-financed with Skydance Productions which received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from audiences to help word of mouth. It’s overperforming with $24M Friday and at least $62M for the weekend. That has the studio giddy with relief after all that pre-release bad buzz for Brad Pitt’s zombie pic. Paramount execs claim statistics show only one original movie a year opens at $50+M. “Franchises open bigger but originals play to better multiples as people start discovering them.”

In #3 is last weekend’s top opener, Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ 3D Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters in the widest release), with $13.2M Friday (-71% from a week ago) and around $42.7M for a cume around $210M.

Summer 2013 is still sizzling with total moviegoing this weekend around $225M which is a big +44% over last year. I’ll have the Top Ten based on Friday estimates with fuller analysis later this morning.

13.2 m ......,ok  better than 12.5

You need to check into rehab if you think TA2 isn't going to make a dent in AVATAR 2's box office.. You are stoned dude and need to step back and re-evaluate what your saying... :sherlock: 

First off, this is my new signature. 2ndly how can a movie coming out in May make a dent in a movie coming out in December. Then you got the possibility of Avatar 2 coming out in 2016 and you say it will still make a dent a year apart? Avatar 2 is on another level. There are 3 levels to box office. It goes: Titanic, Avatar and everything else and Avengers is in this third level. That is a fact. End of discussion.

• Like 2

lol what battle? I think its going downhill. I've always said MoS needs to have a big opening because the legs will be shit.Most here said "All other movies should be worried about MoS"....Hopefully my theory of WWZ being front loaded is true. MoS can potential jump 40% today and get it passed 40M otherwise this shit is turning into a disaster.

Imo 40% jump will be tough. But even so, a TS3-type hold (+25.8% for Sat, -16.8% for Sun) takes it past 41M. An Abraham Lincoln: VH (+24.6%, -20.1%) or Jonah Hex (+22%, -18.3%) -type hold will take it past 40M, but barely.

TS3 as far as i know still has the best holds for both 2nd Sat and 2nd Sun among top 9 Father's day weekend openers between 2010-2012. The average in that same time span i think is 17.5% Sat increase, and -23.5% Sun drop.

Edit: this is off 12.5M Fri, now Nikki is saying 13.2M?

Edited by jse

wait , this souce is come from NIKKI FINKE?

right?

13.2M as opposed to 12.5M is definitely closer to my 14.35M prediction. But even then, it falls quite a bit short