#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

I still Believe WWZ would hae open big without Pitt. IMO

IMO, it wouldn't have.  Pitt is gold when it comes to big budget tentpoles.  He just doesn't do enough of them.  But every film that was really a major studio film has done really well with him.  Mr and Mrs. Smith, Troy and Benjamin Button all did well because of him imo.  Even Ocean's 11 was helped because of him.  IMO, WWZ doesn't do as well without him.

• Like 8

Do you know anybody that pays attention to commercials? Because I don't. Especially with TiVo.

TV advertising is the difference between big studio movies and smaller indies. Guess which ones NEVER make any money?

• Like 2

I was just saying he was lucky to be in those films.

(And its funny since everyone was saying Smiths career was over a few weeks ago because of one bomb)

Will smith isnt over. He just have go back to films that made him a movie star. Bad boys 3 he is in.

Edited by Dragon

Depp, Downey, and Pitt aren't only A listers because they have had multiple 100m movies, but they have also all received multiple academy award nominations, and have been around for decades to develop that sort of status.

While, I have no doubt that CT is a box office draw, he's still new to Hollywood.  He's been around a few years.  It remains to be seen if he'll become the next Depp or if he'll become the next Josh Harnett.

Sorry, but outside of Pirates and a 3D crazed Alice in Wonderland, what has Depp done to make him a bigger draw than anyone?

• Like 3

Will smith isnt over. He just after go back to films that made him a movie star. Bad boys 3 he is in.

Yeah I know-but there were those saying this a few weeks ago (nothing can beat people saying Cruise was a bigger draw and had no bombs-ignoring Rock of Ages :P)

• Like 1

IMO, it wouldn't have.  Pitt is gold when it comes to big budget tentpoles.  He just doesn't do enough of them.  But every film that was really a major studio film has done really well with him.  Mr and Mrs. Smith, Troy and Benjamin Button all did well because of him imo.  Even Ocean's 11 was helped because of him.  IMO, WWZ doesn't do as well without him.

I see i see

TV advertising is the difference between big studio movies and smaller indies. Guess which ones NEVER make any money?

Erm no. Smaller indies don't have trailers in front of big movies. I see plenty of TV ads for indie films if they're expanding, like Mud or The Bling Ring. 

Edited by tonytr87

No, more people hate commercials then pay attention to them.

You should tell that to me and my friends. We have most commercial jingles memorized and we comment on a new commercial if we see one. It's pretty strange around this apartment.

Ok he had one good year where 3 of his films made 100 million and then suddenly like everybody says. OMG he is the biggest draw in hollywood, which is simply not true in my opinion. 

But in this case it's not a matter of opinion.  Your opinion can be that he is not the biggest draw, that's debatable for sure, but to say that he is not a draw is simply not true when his roles were all diverse and they all made a shit load of money. 

A  Nicholas Sparks romance

A male stripper movie

A teen action comedy

An amnesia romance

You can't deny that he had a huge hand in the success of all of these.

Why. Cable guy was awesome

It was a disappointment. And it got really bad reviews in 1996. (I also remember it having a really odd controversy with actual cable guys)

• Like 1

Nobody was disappointed with that opening. Everybody saw it coming. Same with Internship. To me Star Trek  and WHD take that.

Star Trek is going to make about 85-90% of the original, far  from a disappointment.

Magic Mike is the only one he "opened." The Vow had a perfect release date and 21 Jump Street had brand recognition, a funny trailer, and good WOM. 

Revisionist history here.

• Like 4

Sorry, but outside of Pirates and a 3D crazed Alice in Wonderland, what has Depp done to make him a bigger draw than anyone?

The Tourist was huge WW, and I really don't see how Dark Shadows would have done 250M WW without him.

EDIT: Public Enemies did 220M WW, mainly because of Depp.

Edited by CJohn