#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

Armageddon had an underwhelming opening weekend when it came out. Strong legs saved it

Armageddon had a 5 day weekend and it only fell 12% on its first Thursday.  I don't think the opening was weak at all.

• Like 1

-44% would be Pixar's best second weekend hold since Up. Add in MU's great weekdays and WOM is really solid. I think it's going to position itself as THE alternative to Despicable Me for families instead of Lone Ranger. 40m is damn good for The Heat. I see no less than 140m total. Dub Dub Z continues to overperform. 200 could fall. I really don't want to live in a country where White House Down isn't a hit. If 50% for Man of Steel is called 'stabilizing' then WOM obviously ain't special. Should still get to 300, though. A very good weekend to close off a very good month.

Have just checked. MONSTERS UNIVERSITY opened in just two new markets, Hungary and Taiwan. Those aren't majors and the movie only dropped by 18.9%! Crazy!

54.5 M last weekend

44.2 M this weekend

• Like 1

Yes and no. Disney has TV/animation rights to Spidey. But Sony handed that over willingly if the Mouse agreed they wouldn't push trying to get the film rights.

I think The Futurist was talking about licensing rights, which Sony sold back to Marvel, not animation rights.

It's not just DM ll breaking records after all.

#MonstersU breaks all-time toon opening record in Taiwan. Top Pixar debut in Philippines. Beats ToyStory3 in both. Japan next wk.

https://twitter.com/giteshpandya/status/351364249043484672

Love my country. lol DM ll will hit it hard though this Wednesday.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

Have just checked. MONSTERS UNIVERSITY opened in just two new markets, Hungary and Taiwan. Those aren't majors and the movie only dropped by 18.9%! Crazy!

54.5 M last weekend

44.2 M this weekend

Crazy indeed.

54.5 M last weekend

44.2 M this weekend

And it still has UK and Japan left to open. 500M OS can happen, if it really breaks out on either territory.  :D

• Like 1

It was THE REASON and ONLY REASON.

I really don't know who came up with this idea. How could Sony be so stupid?

They thought it would be MM/SWATH part ll. The bigger budgeted film, the winner. They were wrong.

• Like 1

And it still has UK and Japan left to open. 500M OS can happen, if it really breaks out on either territory.  :D

France too. Latin America and a bunch of European countries. Will it be released in China? I'll take even 5 M. lol