AniNate

Pixels | Chris Columbus | July 24, 2015 | Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Michelle Monaghan, Josh Gad, Peter Dinklage

It really is a wild card for sure, probably THE wild card of summer. I know a lot of people are predicting high for it, but after an awful summer I've been having, I want to go a but more conservative and say 130.

However my gut is still telling my this will do high 50s low 60s on opening weekend, and maybe 170 total.

Edited by DAJK

It really is a wild card for sure, probably THE wild card of summer. I know a lot of people are predicting high for it, but after an awful summer I've been having, I want to go a but more conservative and say 130.

However my gut is still telling my this will do high 50s low 60s on opening weekend, and maybe 170 total.

Considering it's the last major family-friendly film of the summer, less than a 3x would surprise me. 

From a $60 million OW, I'd say $195-205 million DOM. $55 million OW... $175-185 million DOM. 

I could see this going as big as $230-250 million DOM, though... especially if Ant-Man disappoints with $50-55 million OW. 

Considering it's the last major family-friendly film of the summer, less than a 3x would surprise me.

From a $60 million OW, I'd say $195-205 million DOM. $55 million OW... $175-185 million DOM.

I could see this going as big as $230-250 million DOM, though... especially if Ant-Man disappoints with $50-55 million OW.

Out of the 4 back to back openers (Ant-Man, Pixels, MI5, and F4) how many of them do you think the market can sustain breaking out beyond expectations? And which do you think have the most potential?

Worst case scenario for all films I would say is

Ant-Man: $130M

Pixels: $115M

MI5: $130M

F4: $100M

I think Pixels could drastically outperform expectations, Ant-Man will end up somewhere mid range, and F4 will be the lowest grossing despite doing better than some people think. MI5 will do what most people expect (190-210).

Out of the 4 back to back openers (Ant-Man, Pixels, MI5, and F4) how many of them do you think the market can sustain breaking out beyond expectations? And which do you think have the most potential?

Worst case scenario for all films I would say is

Ant-Man: $130M

Pixels: $115M

MI5: $130M

F4: $100M

I think Pixels could drastically outperform expectations, Ant-Man will end up somewhere mid range, and F4 will be the lowest grossing despite doing better than some people think. MI5 will do what most people expect (190-210).

MI5's low end is the same as Ant-Man's :mellow:

MI5's low end is the same as Ant-Man's :mellow:

Subjectively speaking I think so. I really don't think it's possible for Ant Man to become a real domestic flop and gross sub 100. MI5 has a better chance of grossing 180+ I think, but even with that, I don't really see it breaking out much beyond that 210 mark.

Subjectively speaking I think so. I really don't think it's possible for Ant Man to become a real domestic flop and gross sub 100. MI5 has a better chance of grossing 180+ I think, but even with that, I don't really see it breaking out much beyond that 210 mark.

I agree. If SA had released May 22, Spy/IO released 5/29, and Terminator to 6/26, with MI5 taking July 4th, then I could see $230-270 million for MI5

Pixels - $240 million

MI5 - $220 million

Ant-Man - $175 million

Fantastic Four - $145 million

I think they can co-exist. Pixels is a family comedy, and MI5 is for older adults.

F4 and Ant-Man go for the exact same fanboy demo so they'll hurt each other the most.

But I think there's room if every major film targets a different sub demo and there's some space. July 2015 ought to be one of the most highly attended on record

• Like 1

For sure. I also forgot about Paper Towns. It won't be a huge 150+ grosser but it is targeting the younger female audience which haven't been exactly served since PP2 really. It could also pull solid 80-110 numbers.

Remember Bedtime Stories?

Exactly, this will also be forgotten by the end of the year. Wreck-It Ralph and The Lego Movie explored these concepts already in much better ways. No one ever watched Wreck-It Ralph and said: "You know what? This needs more Adam Sandler!"

No amount of Peter Dinklage can save this thing.

• Like 1

Remember Bedtime Stories?

Exactly, this will also be forgotten by the end of the year. Wreck-It Ralph and The Lego Movie explored these concepts already in much better ways. No one ever watched Wreck-It Ralph and said: "You know what? This needs more Adam Sandler!"

No amount of Peter Dinklage can save this thing.

I think concept of Pixels is way more appealing than Bedtime Stories and it will bring in larger crowd than that. Plus this is directed by Chris Columbus who is right at home doing these kind of movies. I think its gonna surprise lot of people. I dont think this is hyped that much.

• Like 1