Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

• Founder / Operator

1. Underrated: Stoker (not seen/loved enough)Overrated: Star Trek Into Darkness (the best reviewed movie of the summer, which BAFFLES me)2. Barrel of Monkeys from Iron Man 3 immediately comes to mind. Other contenders:hotel room scene in Before Midnighthotel room scene in Great Gatsbytank scene in Fast & Furious 6Paris scene in Frances Haclimax scene of Monsters Universitythe end of This Is the End''Look at all my shit!'' scene in Spring BreakersShower scene in Stoker3. I saw The Way, Way Back today and I was head over heels in love with Sam Rockwell's performance (the rest of the movie is perfectly fine).Also loved:Matthew McConaughey in MudJames Franco in Spring BreakersDanny McBride in This Is the EndLeonardo DiCaprio in GatsbyGreta Gerwig in Frances HaAmy Seimetz in Upstream ColorEthan Hawke/Julie Delpy in Before MidnightRooney Mara in Side EffectsRDJ in Iron Man 3 (the best he's been in all four movies)Harrison Ford in 42The Rock in Pain & Gain

It's funny how we'll all have different perspectives on this stuff. You feel STID is overrated because of critics, but I think it's easily the most underrated movie of the summer based on Internet reactions.

• Like 5

Stoker was Freudian-psychobabble  bullshit.

Utterly useless, laughable, pointless & terrible.

Cool camera angles though but that s it.

And the blond girl who played Mia Wasikowska's mother looked funny, anybody knows her name ?

Edited by The Futurist

The Britney montage in Spring Breakers is probably the best thing I've seen at the movies this year. 

That was just surreal to see ... I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie, but I'll definitely check it out as it looks so out there ... I've heard such divisive opinions about the movie ... some people thinks it's one of the best of the year, others think it's trash. ;)

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

I do feel that Stoker was trying to be perverse just for the sake of it. 

Everything was so forced and fake (the acting my god !) in this movie, I didn't believe in ONE situation.

It was unintentionnally burlesque.

It's funny how we'll all have different perspectives on this stuff. You feel STID is overrated because of critics, but I think it's easily the most underrated movie of the summer based on Internet reactions.

I think the general public quite liked it. Legs were solid and the Fandango rating is a ''Must Go!''. All my friends thought it was better than the first one, too. I wonder if we watched the same movie. In my mind it feels like I saw it so long ago as there was nothing to take away from it. I remember IM3 way better.

The Britney montage in Spring Breakers is probably the best thing I've seen at the movies this year.

Yeah, forgot to mention that one. Blew my mind when I watched it. So flipping cool/grabbing.

I do feel that Stoker was trying to be perverse just for the sake of it.

There's not a lot to the story, I'll grant you that, but I just find it a satisfyingly creepy coming of age story with amazing direction/cinematography. Park Chan-Wook knows his shit. Every shot in this movie has such a clear, deliberate purpose. I saw it twice and liked it the same both times. Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Good scenes this year:

- The long opening take in Place Beyond the Pines

The bike/cop chase in Place Beyond the Pines

- The hotel room scene in Gatsby

- The first time the alien dude appears in the kids bedroom in Dark Skies (scared the piss out of me)

- The silent terrorist attack in STID

• Like 1

There's not a lot to the story, I'll grant you that, but I just find it a satisfyingly creepy coming of age story with amazing direction/cinematography. Chan Woo-Park knows his shit. Every shot in this movie has such a clear, deliberate purpose. I saw it twice and liked it the same both times.

A shit script with shit characters can haz purpose ?

Color me fascinated.

I might be alone in this, but I wish Pixar had been the one to create Planes--and I wish it had been in place of Cars 2 (though somehow still bringing back McQueen and a few other characters).

Not alone.Any Cars story that pretty much left alone the characters from the first movie would have been better than Cars 2. Edited by whoot
  • Like 1