Gopher

Rex Reed: Worst Prominent Film Critic Working Today?

The man who called Melissa McCarthy a hippo and used his Pacific Rim review to hate on all of del Toro's work has hit a new low: he's reviewed the new horror anthology film V/H/S/2, even though he walked out after 20 minutes, at the end of the first short story.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rex-reed-reviews-movie-he-only-watched-for-20-minu,99973/ (linking to AV Club because the Observer doesn't deserve clicks for this kind of garbage) 

Is this guy worse than Armond White was at his prime? Is there a film critic more ignorant and elitist than this jerk? 

He's been a joke as long as I can remember. At least I can buy Armond White's just being a clever troll.

I do have a competitor to Rex Reed, though -- Michael Medved. There are few people who have a face you just wanna punch. Medved is one of them, with his sneeringly condescending moral idiocy.

• Like 2

I am going to be a Contrarian and say that there is nothing wrong with what Rex Reed did. He didn't try to fool anyone. He watched the movie for 20 minutes, couldn't take it anymore and then wrote a review that accurately reflected his views on the movie. Since we are on the topic of bad critics there are plenty of fanboy critics who get free shit from the studios and then write glowing reviews in return. Reed is an asshole but he isn't an unethical asshole.

I am going to be a Contrarian and say that there is nothing wrong with what Rex Reed did. He didn't try to fool anyone. He watched the movie for 20 minutes, couldn't take it anymore and then wrote a review that accurately reflected his views on the movie. Since we are on the topic of bad critics there are plenty of fanboy critics who get free shit from the studios and then write glowing reviews in return. Reed is an asshole but he isn't an unethical asshole.

He is an unethical asshole,he insults not only a  movies cast but the audience as well.

Edited by Azazel

Rex Reed's summary of FIGHT CLUB: "A film without a single redeeming quality, which may have to find its audience in hell."

Rex Reed's on OLDBOY: "What else can you expect from a nation weaned on kimchi, a mixture of raw garlic and cabbage buried underground until it rots, dug up from the grave and then served in earthenware pots sold at the Seoul airport as souvenirs?"

Rex Reed on CABIN IN THE WOODS: "The kind of time-wasting drivel designed to appeal to electronics nerds and skateboarders addicted to Xbox 360 video games whose knowledge of the arts begins and ends with MTV2."

There are plenty of other examples.

• Like 3

He's been a joke as long as I can remember. At least I can buy Armond White's just being a clever troll.

I do have a competitor to Rex Reed, though -- Michael Medved. There are few people who have a face you just wanna punch. Medved is one of them, with his sneeringly condescending moral idiocy.

MM, Isn't he the guy with the beard, who even had a tv review show after the Siskel & Ebert copy jobs started. Or maybe he was one of the replacements they tried???

Well that is a major difference than some above portrayed????

Rex Reed's summary of FIGHT CLUB: "A film without a single redeeming quality, which may have to find its audience in hell."

Rex Reed's on OLDBOY: "What else can you expect from a nation weaned on kimchi, a mixture of raw garlic and cabbage buried underground until it rots, dug up from the grave and then served in earthenware pots sold at the Seoul airport as souvenirs?"

Rex Reed on CABIN IN THE WOODS: "The kind of time-wasting drivel designed to appeal to electronics nerds and skateboarders addicted to Xbox 360 video games whose knowledge of the arts begins and ends with MTV2."

There are plenty of other examples.

Well on Fight Club, I just looked it up and reception was very mixed with a 66 on MetaCritic....

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/fight-club/critic-reviews

and here is the blip from Roger Ebert.....

But the second act is pandering and the third is trickery, and whatever Fincher thinks the message is, that's not what most audience members will get.

That's the guy.

Posted Image

Yeah that is him, and he took over teh chair for 12 years with J Lyons, accotding questionable tv reviewer for me...as he was also New York TV news....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Medved

In 1984, Medved joined Sneak Previews, the weekly movie review show originated by Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert, co-hosting the program for 12 years with Jeffrey Lyons.

In 1993, Medved became chief film critic for the New York Post, a position he held for five years, during which he reviewed more than 700 movies for the newspaper.

Edited by West Hollywood

Well on Fight Club, I just looked it up and reception was very mixed with a 66 on MetaCritic....

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/fight-club/critic-reviews

and here is the blip from Roger Ebert.....

But the second act is pandering and the third is trickery, and whatever Fincher thinks the message is, that's not what most audience members will get.

Yes, FIGHT CLUB got hammered by all sorts of critics. Forever to their credit, for the first DVD release, the cheeky guys on the Fox marketing team put nothing but anti-quotes on the box, so instead of seeing the usual glowing quotes, you'd see stuff like "deeply fascist art", "The movie is not only anti-capitalism but anti-society, and, indeed, anti-God", and "A witless mish-mash of whiny, infantile philosophising and bone-crunching violence". Which, of course, fit the movie's attitude perfectly. :D

(Those are all real quotes, btw).

• Like 1

Yes, FIGHT CLUB got hammered by all sorts of critics. Forever to their credit, for the first DVD release, the cheeky guys on the Fox marketing team put nothing but anti-quotes on the box, so instead of seeing the usual glowing quotes, you'd see stuff like "deeply fascist art", "The movie is not only anti-capitalism but anti-society, and, indeed, anti-God", and "A witless mish-mash of whiny, infantile philosophising and bone-crunching violence". Which, of course, fit the movie's attitude perfectly. :D

(Those are all real quotes, btw).

Genius. 

• Like 1