baumer

Daily "ESTIMATES" as we know it might be a thing of the past

• Founder / Operator

FWIW, we've been told nothing about this by the studios. This leads me to believe it only applies to weekdays and not the weekends, since we only report unconfirmed estimates on Friday (and sometimes Saturday).

Since Rth sees the numbers directly but isn't an official reporter, it's possible they also haven't been told anything either.

Edited by ShawnMR

While we all like having numbers to kick around it will also decrease the amount of, sometimes, premature meltdowns. The roller coaster will not be in as full affect

It also means a thread won't be started with just one estimate spat out at 10/11am est with pages of nothing being said. 

I see some positives. 

The Friday thread will still exist, just without any numbers and it's not like on Friday we weren't going to speculate anyway. Shaky numbers just made things zany. 

• Like 1

EDIT: Yeah, I forgot about that. He does have direct access to numbers though, which was my main point.  :)

:blink:

Edited by ShawnMR

On my phone and haven't read through this whole thread but does that mean weekend/Fri-Sun estimates may not happen either now?? It would really suck if we get nothing about weekend numbers until Mondays.

FWIW, we've been told nothing about this by the studios. This leads me to believe it only applies to weekdays and not the weekends, since we only report unconfirmed estimates on Friday (and sometimes Saturday).Since Rth works for Rentrak-like source, it's possible they also haven't been told anything either.

Ok hopefully you're right and it only means Mon-Thurs.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Ok hopefully you're right and it only means Mon-Thurs.

I'm fairly sure it will be, but we'll see. I also fixed my original post to be a little more clear on the Rentrak comparison.

I'm fairly sure it will be, but we'll see. I also fixed my original post to be a little more clear on the Rentrak comparison.

Alfred has posted WB estimates this week which he receives in the morning. Is WB following suit with this?

• Founder / Operator

Alfred has posted WB estimates this week which he receives in the morning. Is WB following suit with this?

WB always sends early estimates around 6-7am Pacific, we just don't report them usually... that could change now, though.

WB always sends early estimates around 6-7am Pacific, we just don't report them usually... that could change now, though.

So you guys get MoS numbers that early and we get them at 2PM EST?

:angry:  :lol:

• Founder / Operator

So you guys get MoS numbers that early and we get them at 2PM EST?

:angry:  :lol:

Well, not early on during the run. We tweet out the numbers for first week or so of big movies. But also, up until now, early estimates always came out around the same time from other sources from WB. :)

I'm not understanding how this topic makes any sense.

Rentrak (the source for pretty much all of our "early" information) is a public company that has nothing to do with the studios.  The exhibitors provide the data, afaik.

• Like 1

Well, not early on during the run. We tweet out the numbers for first week or so of big movies. But also, up until now, early estimates always came out around the same time from other sources from WB. :)

:o

• Founder / Operator

I'm not understanding how this topic makes any sense.

Rentrak (the source for pretty much all of our "early" information) is a public company that has nothing to do with the studios.  The exhibitors provide the data, afaik.

Right, but there are numerous sources throughout the chain that send that information to reporting websites. The studios have apparently asked the reporters to stop posting it. It doesn't mean they aren't getting the information, it just means they can't talk about it--from what I'm understanding.

Again though, I'm speculating here. BoxOffice hasn't been contacted about this situation as far as I'm aware.

Edited by ShawnMR

Nah, just living life. Work, kids, boxing, separating from my longtime gf.. didn't have time for this place. Just came back recently. I never really left though - just stop posting for a good while. Always lurked though 

Who am I talking to by the way, no offense?  :lol:

Tawasal. I am always changing my name around. 

• Like 1