Punishment

Weekend Actuals 7/12-7/14

I think the reason people attack you for your opinions a lot is because you present them as absolute fact. Never an 'IMO' stuck in there for good measure.

Total bullshit.  I almost always say its my opinion.  

Pain & Gain made less than 50m despite two of the biggest stars in Hollywood right now anchoring it. The Bay name can maybe be a draw, but outside of TF it's never been a guaranteed brand. It's always come down to the movies.Then you say del Toro works for fanboys exclusively when he's produced plenty of hits (including Mama this year) over the last decade.

He produces horrible movies too.  Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and Splice are two of the worst films in ages....IMO.

PR tried new things?

Giant robots:  Transformers

Giant monsters: Godzilla

Rag tag bunch of rebel humans ban together to fight aliens:  ID4

Speech given by Elba:  ID4

Young hot shot pilot saves the day:  Star Wars, Top Gun

And this film is basically a rip off of old anime:

Brother dies heroically at the beginning of the story---CHECK

Has to be talked back into the war----CHECK

Meets a cute Japanese girl----CHECK

Girl has unrequited feelings for him----CHECK

Dark skinned commander who takes no guff----CHECK

Crazy/goofy scientist characters----CHECK

Aliens are giants so we need giant manned robots to fight them----CHECK

So, it didn't try something new in the slightest.

Nice try.

Yep, as new as Film-making 101 aka Check Box Film-making is.

Edited by fishnets

Pain & Gain made less than 50m despite two of the biggest stars in Hollywood right now anchoring it. The Bay name can maybe be a draw, but outside of TF it's never been a guaranteed brand. It's always come down to the movies.Then you say del Toro works for fanboys exclusively when he's produced plenty of hits (including Mama this year) over the last decade.

His name has never been a draw outside of Transformers?

So I guess Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and The Rock all had nothing to do with him?

Ok.  Well, I won't rub salt into your wounds too much today.  I'll get out of here so all of you GDT minions can whisk away into a private room and into a cloud of smoke congratulating each other on how successful GDT is with the critics.  Maybe the next time he wants 200 million dollars for a film, he can go to Rex Reed and Ebert's widow.

• Like 1

Are we really mad at PR for using anime tropes? Who got mad at MU for ripping off Revenge of the Nerds? Who got mad at Man of Steel for taking every superhero origin movie trope? Nothing is original anymore, the only thing that matters is how these movies use these story contructs, and that's going to vary depending on who you ask.

• Like 2

Are we really mad at PR for using anime tropes? Who got mad at MU for ripping off Revenge of the Nerds? Who got mad at Man of Steel for taking every superhero origin movie trope?Nothing is original anymore, the only thing that matters is how these movies use these story contructs, and that's going to vary depending on who you ask.

I'm not mad, no one is.  It's just when the poster claims that PR was a film that tried new things...I mean...really?   :rofl:

His name has never been a draw outside of Transformers?So I guess Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and The Rock all had nothing to do with him?Ok. Well, I won't rub salt into your wounds too much today. I'll get out of here so all of you GDT minions can whisk away into a private room and into a cloud of smoke congratulating each other on how successful GDT is with the critics. Maybe the next time he wants 200 million dollars for a film, he can go to Rex Reed and Ebert's widow.

CONSISTENT draw outside of TF. It comes down to the movies. It always comes down to the movies. Bay has made more crowdpleasers than GDT. You have the numbers to show that. Doesn't make GDT (a name that every horror movie in the last few years has attached to its marketing) or the 95% of Hollywood directors less successful than Bay unsuccessful. Geez, you're being a dick today.

Yes but GdT's annoying fandom won't rest until GdT flick makes more money than the highets grossing Bay flick. Cause, for all the chest-thumping that boxoffice =/= quality they want huge boxoffice to prove that their fave's better than _______ whose movies make more. hence why we hear a completely idiotic boistering that "PR is thinking man's TF" whereas there's not a single smart thing in PR nor the movie thinks it's smart. Where does thinking man's shit comes from is one of world's 8 biggest mysteries that won't be resolved anytime soon.

Well, I agree with you that Pacific Rim is not a "thinking mans" movie. In fact, its del Toro's most "Bay-like" movie yet. But, that's fine. The dude wanted to do a movie that was fun and light. Doesn't erase the fact that this is still the director of Cronos, Pan's Labyrnth, and  The Devil's Backbone. The dude's a serious talent.

Total bullshit. I almost always say its my opinion.

Bay is one of the best film makers in the world. GDT is a decent film maker who occasionally reaches greatness and occasionally sinks to the gutter.

Mhm.

CONSISTENT draw outside of TF. It comes down to the movies. It always comes down to the movies.Bay has made more crowdpleasers than GDT. You have the numbers to show that. Doesn't make GDT (a name that every horror movie in the last few years has attached to its marketing) or the 95% of Hollywood directors less successful than Bay unsuccessful.Geez, you're being a dick today.

I'm only being a dick because you are finding it hard to prove me wrong.  That's frustrating.  But it's okay.  We all have our bad days.

Mhm.

What do you want me to do Gopher, put those three little letters every time I make a statement?  Then tell everyone else to do the same, including you.

As long as studios keep letting movies like Pacific Rim, Scott Pilgrim, and so on get made, I guess that it's not really a big deal if studios have to make films that really just 'pay the bills' and not much else. And fortunately, that's how a lot of studios function. For every Happy Madison film we get, we also get a Moneyball/TGWTDT/Zero Dark Thirty.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

As long as studios still find the Oscars profitable, talented directors and writers will be given money with the purpose of creating something good first and will sell second. That's why most of each year's good movies come out in December. (Also, baumer, I became pedantic by the end of our argument there. My apologies.)

• Like 1

Well, I agree with you that Pacific Rim is not a "thinking mans" movie. In fact, its del Toro's most "Bay-like" movie yet. But, that's fine. The dude wanted to do a movie that was fun and light. Doesn't erase the fact that this is still the director of Cronos, Pan's Labyrnth, and  The Devil's Backbone. The dude's a serious talent.

he is a serious talent but his lesser movies are those that are more studio oriented. PR concept didn't leave people cold because it's offbeat but because it's been done to death.

I'm not mad, no one is.  It's just when the poster claims that PR was a film that tried new things...I mean...really?   :rofl:

I didn't claim it tried new things. I was talking about filmmaking in general.

Besides Bay only makes Transformers movies because he wants money. Del Toro made Pacific Rim because he wanted to make a fun movie. That's a big difference IMO.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

The "it made tons of money therefore the most people liked it therefore it's best" argument is really weak. It's like saying McDonald's is the best burger ever because they sell the most. Well, no.

If Transformers hadn't been based on a popular series of toys that a generation of kids knew and loved, would the movie have been as big a hit? No.

If Harry Potter had never been a series of books but was simply a new movie by Chris Columbus, would it have been as big a hit? No.

You can use whatever popular pre-existing property you want: LOTR, Twilight, Marvel movies, DC movies, whatever. The same holds true.

That doesn't mean I think PR is some perfect filet mignon, it's just In & Out to Bay's Mickey D's.

• Like 3