tommycruise

Will 2013 be remembered as the year sci-fi failed?

Gravity is not sci fi.

Astronauts roam the sky of the earth since the 60's.

There is no unexisting technology in it.

2001 had interstellar travel ( never been done) and the monolith ( pure sci fi concept).

Gravity is just two Hollywood superstars lost on a sound stage in hollywood in front of a giant green screen.

• Like 1

We haven't really had many films to get that excited for on the sci-fi front. If Elysium and Gravity both fail then we might have a case. I guess PRim might count but with Del Toro it's always an uphill battle, so it's not really surprising that the GA didn't warm up to it.

just because it's around today doesn't mean it's not science fiction. if you've got a piece of fiction that explores modern technology in a unique way, it's sci-fi.

THG probably falls somewhere in that broad net of things that people sometimes call sci-fi. it's best described as dystopian.

• Like 2

2013 will be remembered as the boring sequel to 2012.

It depends, the first four months were kinda dull, but the summer has been so much better. It really depends on the end and I think November and December are looking very strong.

I think right now a lot of weight is on Elysium, if it succeeds then we will know that audiences haven't totally rejected sci-fi but if it fails then it will make it the 4th original sci-fi in a row to fail to meet expectations casting the genre in a bad light for studios.

It appears the reviews for Elysium aren't looking to great and the boxoffice isn't looking too good either. I think we can handily declare 2013 as the year that sci if failed

I disagree. These are the kind of things historians declare years from now. For all we know, this is just a down year and there'll be an upswing some time later.It's probably also best to let Elysium open first before declaring it a failure. Edited by lab276

On the bright side, if this is the year that sci-fi failed, with the success of The Purge, Evil Dead, The Conjuring and perhaps You're next, it will also be the year in which Horror succeeded.

There's light to be found at the end of the tunnel.

Last year the only thing saving it from failure as you would call it, was Cloud Atlas and arguably Prometheus. I think blockbusters in general have been following such a similar formula these last years we're starting to see resemblances in everything, we need to discard the reused and only pay attention to films that are actually different. instead of explosions and cheesy one liners, we all end up quickly forgetting. I hate to say it but even though I enjoyed Pacific Rim{(more or less because of the idea)big fan of NEON GENESIS EVENGELION} It isn't a very good movie, that has many problems through out(somethings that really bug me), just like every other blockbuster I've seen this year this list includes Mos, Im3, Wolverine, WWZ, and even Star Trek into Darkness(God that ending blew donkey nutz, decent 1st and 2nd act tho)

All in all, I/we mostly end up just enjoying the special effects and the adventure that accompanies(even if it is a predictable as Justin Bieber dying of a drug overdose.(what did I just say That!!) So my question is when these films age on us within time is it something we can re-watch all the time for the outdated S F/X or does/will it become meaningful and/or nostalgic to us? is the predictable plot enough for us to be satisfied, or is it the journey for point A - B that we enjoy so much? What is it that made Star Wars so Nostalgic was it because it was inventive and innovative? or was it because it's ridiculous popularity has made us believe it is the one and only. Jesus(cough) film that every film for the next 50 years has to follow that form. Now i'm not saying star wars is a bad film I think it's great there's truly great feel to all the original films the only problem I have with it, is that it grew so much in  popular(way too Popular) that every film coming out today had to try and be like it, Luke dealing with the pain of growing up eventually accepting and then making the heroic superhero sacrifices to save the world/or the one he loves,  A Han(pretty boy)and Lea Romance and the droids/chewbacca or whoever else to add some comic relief.

I'm not saying all films but take a look at most superhero films and the blockbusters this year I have mentioned above, I really feel that their just rehashed material with different actors special effects, set pieces and lines, going through the same old story.