Punishment

Weekend Actuals: 8/2-8/4

Damn it, still no Sharknado numbers to be found.

With something like 200 screens and actual sell outs reported I'm very curious to see what it made. It's kind of a unique situation, has a made for TV movie that aired on TV ever gotten a theatrical release afterwards?

Damn it, still no Sharknado numbers to be found.

With something like 200 screens and actual sell outs reported I'm very curious to see what it made. It's kind of a unique situation, has a made for TV movie that aired on TV ever gotten a theatrical release afterwards?

It is a Fathom release. We probably won't get numbers till mid-week. Some sources are saying less than 200,000 but we won't know till actual numbers are reported.

Sharknado did get record ratings  in its 3rd telecast, becoming the only SyFy original to break 2 million viewers: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/showbiz/tv/sharknado-ratings-record-ew

The campy horror film delivered a record 2.1 million total viewers and 791,000 adults 18-49 on Saturday night. That's the most-watched encore for an original movie in Syfy history.

What's particularly impressive about the performance is that the film's debut telecast -- despite generating massive buzz on Twitter, clocking a whirlwind 5,000 tweets per minute during its peak -- initially delivered a somewhat disappointing 1.4 million viewers a few weeks ago.

But the social buzz continued after the film's premiere. Then the second airing climbed to 1.9 million viewers. And now it's crossed the 2 million mark.

• Like 1

India's first Superhero sequel "Krrish 3" gets a trailer and posters. This will be huge in 2 months time, easy 100 Crore earner (probably in record time as well). The plot looks like Superman vs. Iron Man though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

It is a Fathom release. We probably won't get numbers till mid-week. Some sources are saying less than 200,000 but we won't know till actual numbers are reported.

Sharknado did get record ratings  in its 3rd telecast, becoming the only SyFy original to break 2 million viewers: http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/30/showbiz/tv/sharknado-ratings-record-ew

Thanks for the info. I wish it had gotten a theatrical release here, but it would have to be in a theater that serves alcohol. Watching this while half in the bag would have been perfect.

It certainly has become a phenomenon, I was watching the Discovery Channel (where they were trying to photograph and tag a possible living Megalodon that sunk a fishing boat back in April this year, really fascinating stuff) and they were advertising Discovery will be showing both Jaws and Sharknado this weekend.

India's first Superhero sequel "Krrish 3" gets a trailer and posters. This will be huge in 2 months time, easy 100 Crore earner (probably in record time as well). The plot looks like Superman vs. Iron Man though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks eerily similar to Ryan Reynolds under there.

• Like 1

It's not showing at my local dollar theater yet either. Isn't it going to be out on Blu Ray really soon though?

EDIT: I lied, September 24th, typical Marvel release date.

Edited by Carlos Danger

ah ok. Hadn't seen any numbers for a while. Total seems low for the first week.

Yeah I don't know a good comparable myself so just looked at THG.  It's first weekend in dollar theater expansion did 518K and it added a little 2M to the gross so if I had to guess IM3 will probably half that.  Maybe it's not totally in all dollar theaters so let's see how it falls.

Edited by WileECoyote

Actually, I think it returned to some theaters. None of my dollar theaters were showing it, and it came back to the rave cinema I live by.

Maybe they expand theaters in time for a Planes double feature. It's Disney after all.