Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

3 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

I'm old enough to remember when 65% RT was considered good. Now unless a movie is close to 90's people say it's trash and not worth watching. Some of the best movies from before the 2000's had 60-70RT scores. Video game culture has people brainwashed.

nothing to do with videogame culture, all to do with the increase in the number of critics and especially who those new critics are

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

I'm old enough to remember when 65% RT was considered good. Now unless a movie is close to 90's people say it's trash and not worth watching. Some of the best movies from before the 2000's had 60-70RT scores. Video game culture has people brainwashed.

The problem is that it used to be hard for blockbuster action films to get acclaim and good scores, but in the last 15 years the critic spaces have opened up and become less formal. The MCU got nothing but fresh scores for over a decade for instance, whereas other franchises had to struggle to stay in fresh territory in the 2000s.

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hmm, considering I would have been “younger” audiences at the time, I can definitely say CS felt far more “cool” and culturally relevant leading to release than this ever has. Never thought about it having a trending young star at the time being any factor, but maybe I guess. Though Shia got trashed to death on the internet for it. 

LaBuff def. had some fans post-Transformers but I don't think it moved the needle much at all for Indiana Jones. He was hardly in the marketing. Crystal Skull felt bigger because it was coming off the flawless OT and many of the OT original die hards still flocked to theaters. There were a lot of people who were in their 20s foe the OT that were then in their 40s and took their kids to see Crystal Skull. That obviously is not the case any more.

Without question, the biggest difference between STAR WARS and Indiana Jones is Star Wars stayed highly culturally relevant in its dormant phase with toys, commercials, etc. It was another level to begin with and then stayed around. Indiana Jones, on the other hand, has disappeared from the pop culture scene since 2008. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Gen Z grew up with Star Wars because of the prequels and Clone Wars. I don’t think Indiana Jones is a good comp at all. Indiana Jones is more comparable to Ghostbusters. 

Ghostbusters is actually a perfect comparison, albeit Indy was a tad bigger in the 80s. Back when it was green lit in 1988, there were some people who thought the film would drop a bit from DOOM given the 5 year weight. Connery's presence post UNTOUCHABLES really gave it a boost.

Edited by excel1

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

nothing to do with videogame culture, all to do with the increase in the number of critics and especially who those new critics are

Everything to do with Video game culture. It all started with video games getting 90% + reviews regularly. 80's for video games is considered mediocre. That mentality transferred over to movies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The problem is that it used to be hard for blockbuster action films to get acclaim and good scores, but in the last 15 years the critic spaces have opened up and become less formal. The MCU got nothing but fresh scores for over a decade for instance, whereas other franchises had to struggle to stay in fresh territory in the 2000s.

MCU movies did not deserve those reviews in my opinion. Critics want to be the ones who get asked to attended fancy screenings where they get free shit and they know that wont happen if they disappoint a big studio like Disney. If you're not the one giving the movie good reviews there are others at the publications who will.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

MCU movies did not deserve those reviews in my opinion. Critics want to be the ones who get asked to attended fancy screenings where they get free shit and they know that wont happen if they disappoint a big studio like Disney. If you're not the one giving the movie good reviews there are others at the publications who will.

Yep, but those days seem to be ending. I hope critics develop backbones again and stop overhyping some of these movies. A certified fresh score should be rare IMO. 

• Like 3

A $140M WW OW would be nothing short of a humongous disaster. $400M might not even happen which would probably make it the biggest flop of all time. If Kathleen still sticks around after this then it’s 100% that she has blackmail material on all of Hollywood.

Edited by JohnCarterofEarth
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

A $140M WW OW would be nothing short of a humongous disaster. $400M might not even happen which would probably make it the biggest flop of all time. If Kathleen still sticks around after this then it’s 100% that she has blackmail material on all of Hollywood.

I don’t care at all about Kathleen Kennedy, and think she has made many miscalculations in the Star Wars and possibly the Indiana Jones franchises, but to be fair a lot of these franchises are simply old as hell, with whiny fanbases that are impossible to please due to decades of nostalgia. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnCarterofEarth said:

The only good Star Wars film has been Rogue One, then again it had to be filmed almost twice, The Mandalorian has already tanked, her talent to destroy Lucas Film is very surprising. 

WB and their chaotic DC film universe is also surprising, I guess talent is lacking in Hollywood these days.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I don’t care at all about Kathleen Kennedy, and think she has made many miscalculations in the Star Wars and possibly the Indiana Jones franchises, but to be fair a lot of these franchises are simply old as hell, with whiny fanbases that are impossible to please due to decades of nostalgia. 

I agree with you I think Disney should honestly just resell Lucasfilm to another studio. They’ve pissed off the conservative white audiences and the boycott probably hurts Indiana Jones a lot. Indiana Jones attracts mainly an older and whiter audience and that demographic is pissed off at Disney. You can say kind of the same with Star Wars. The company clearly overextended with Lucasfilm and Fox purchases and are now suffering the consequences. 

Edited by JohnCarterofEarth

This obsession with Kathleen Kennedy is so funny 

She had an insanely well made career, i mean sure LucasFilm have problems but some of you simply ignore the job is nearly impossible when you keep having to please an audience that is completely bizarre and act like childs crying for anything 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Belakor said:

The only good Star Wars film has been Rogue One, then again it had to be filmed almost twice, The Mandalorian has already tanked, her talent to destroy Lucas Film is very surprising. 

WB and their chaotic DC film universe is also surprising, I guess talent is lacking in Hollywood these days.

Studios are now much more in control. The age of Hollywood stars is largely over I mean the biggest A list actress could only open a comedy to like $15M and that’s considered a success nowadays. Just 10 years ago it would’ve been considered a huge flop. Studios don’t run on talent and creativity they run on $$$. 

4 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

I agree with you I think Disney should honestly just resell Lucasfilm to another studio. They’ve pissed off the conservative white audiences and the boycott probably hurts Indiana Jones a lot. Indiana Jones attracts mainly an older and whiter audience and that demographic is pissed off at Disney. You can say kind of the same with Star Wars. The company clearly overextended with Lucasfilm and Fox purchases and are now suffering the consequences. 

I do think WB would’ve handled these franchises better tbh, but KK can only be blamed so much. I think the overall Disney brand is just too nostalgia based for any of the subdivisions to really try anything fresh anymore. 

23 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Ugh stop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This obsession with Kathleen Kennedy is so funny 

She had an insanely well made career, i mean sure LucasFilm have problems but some of you simply ignore the job is nearly impossible when you keep having to please an audience that is completely bizarre and act like childs crying for anything 

The way she’s run Lucasfilm seems to be a total mess. Directors get replaced and projects get shelved left and right. The sequel trilogy was a mess and it’s clear she had no plan on how it was going to go. She’s also pissed off the fans, I mean all the signs are there that she gotta go. I don’t know who they’ll replace her with because I don’t see anyone who can right the ship. Most of the damage that’s been caused is permanent. 

• Like 1

Just now, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Why? This is a box office website and I’m talking box office…

You're using box office to spout the "Kathleen Kennedy is getting fired" nonsense that has plagued this site since 2017.