Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I agree with this. Still think it was the right move if it was supposed to give Ford a chance of getting the recognition of his peers, despite how it was clearly naive and a bad business move. I feel like Ford has earned that kind of praise, and I say that without knowing how I’ll personally feel about the film. It was a naive move in a cynical industry, but I’m kinda glad it happened. We don’t know how many years Ford has it on him.

No one's gonna remember him getting recognition at cannes for a movie that's probably gonna be a massive bomb. If anything it's gonna make it even sadder.

Edited by screambaby
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Decent legs might be possible, but I’m worried about how tepid even the positive reactions are. 

hmm, If i'm remembering right she loved The Flash and hated Mario. But, after seeing the movie I kinda feel the same as her. The movie is okay. It felt soulless (not sure if thats the right word) like something was missing. The wit and charm of the first 3 were missing IMO.  It didn't feel like it earned the ending. Hmmm, i love the first 3 movies and this was better than Crystal Skull but not much better.

• Like 1

I don't get this salute to Ford either. If you want to give him praise, you give him an honorary award. A badly written film that's going to semi-bomb is not the way to do him right.

I think it's going to open a bit better than most expect, but don't have hopes on good legs. It's going to be slaughtered by MI, BARBIE and OP. Cruise literally moved DR up by a week, most countries now doing previews in their largest screen the second weekend of Indy.

If - and it's still most certainly an if at the moment - this movie doesn't do well, it'll be for a variety of factors, the same way The Flash was. Primarily though, I think audiences are getting sick of the Disney factory line. And they're savvy enough to see this film for what it is - a rather cynical cash grab on a storied franchise that should have been allowed to end a long time ago.

Ford's age must be a factor as well. The visceral thrill of the original trilogy is impossible to replicate with a man in his 80s. You can suspend your disbelief to think that Harrison Ford is the guy going under the truck in Raiders - but no one can do that with any stunt in this film. Also, there's a lot of hate being projected Waller Bridge's way, but that is also because Ford is so old, that her character has to take a fair share of the burden.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

If - and it's still most certainly an if at the moment - this movie doesn't do well, it'll be for a variety of factors, the same way The Flash was. Primarily though, I think audiences are getting sick of the Disney factory line. And they're savvy enough to see this film for what it is - a rather cynical cash grab on a storied franchise that should have been allowed to end a long time ago.

Ford's age must be a factor as well. The visceral thrill of the original trilogy is impossible to replicate with a man in his 80s. You can suspend your disbelief to think that Harrison Ford is the guy going under the truck in Raiders - but no one can do that with any stunt in this film. Also, there's a lot of hate being projected Waller Bridge's way, but that is also because Ford is so old, that her character has to take a fair share of the burden.

Even if I’m the last one standing, I think that the whole Disney factory line argument is a bunch of bullshit. Disney factory line isn’t different than WB’s factory line, or Universal’s, Paramount’s and Sony’s for that matter. It’s a bunch of crap that is used to sustain a narrative that has literally no merit when we look at the facts, since the numbers that Disney keeps getting at the box office doesn’t sustain the narrative. 

If you think that The Batman or what have you prefer as "standalone stories for DC characters" isn’t a cynical cash grab made by WB just like cinematic universes or sequels like Indiana Jones, then I have a bridge to sell it to you. Studios are in the business of making films that give them profits, and that’s all of them. Not just Disney. Singling out Disney only serves to feed a narrative that puts Disney as this big bad that it’s "replacing" and "killing" whatever some old farts think what the "American way" is.

• Heart 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Pretty much all major movies are cynical cash grabs.  No studio is out there making "passion projects" for "the sake of art".  Of course, this is a cash grab. Take my money!  I love Harrison. I'm looking forward to seeing one more ride with Indy. Yay for older actors and actresses getting to do things like this. As long as I'm entertained for a couple hours, I got my money's worth.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Even if I’m the last one standing, I think that the whole Disney factory line argument is a bunch of bullshit. Disney factory line isn’t different than WB’s factory line, or Universal’s, Paramount’s and Sony’s for that matter. It’s a bunch of crap that is used to sustain a narrative that has literally no merit when we look at the facts, since the numbers that Disney keeps getting at the box office doesn’t sustain the narrative. 

If you think that The Batman or what have you prefer as "standalone stories for DC characters" isn’t a cynical cash grab made by WB just like cinematic universes or sequels like Indiana Jones, then I have a bridge to sell it to you. Studios are in the business of making films that give them profits, and that’s all of them. Not just Disney. Singling out Disney only serves to feed a narrative that puts Disney as this big bad that it’s "replacing" and "killing" whatever some old farts think what the "American way" is.

This idea people hate Disney is frankly a load of rubbish. It's a studio with some of the best IPs known to man,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't hate Disney, but I don't like them enough to watch what's a completely unneccesary sequel in theaters. It's possible to make a movie for profit but also not make it look like a pure nostalgia grab.

I mean, but you do seem interested on The Flash, Batman and Superman sequels. That’s fine, you don’t have to justify you enjoying a franchise over the other, but saying that you are beyond movies that are made for profit (newsflash, literally ALL of them are, especially and more distinctly every single major blockbuster films made by literally any of the Hollywood studios or otherwise)and most of all "pure nostalgia grabs" is just tribalism. There are good and bad films made by all the studios, there are overrated and underrated films made by all of them. Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, just don’t be an hypocrite.

Speaking of Disney, it's so funny that in the same year as three Marvel films, an Indiana Jones revival, a remake of The Little Mermaid, all the hoopla about the company's centennial, and general talk about Iger's plans for more film/TV/theme park IP and strengthening Disney+: they're also releasing a new Yorgos Lanthimos film.

15 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I mean, but you do seem interested on The Flash, Batman and Superman sequels. That’s fine, you don’t have to justify you enjoying a franchise over the other, but saying that you are beyond movies that are made for profit (newsflash, literally ALL of them are, especially and more distinctly every single major blockbuster films made by literally any of the Hollywood studios or otherwise)and most of all "pure nostalgia grabs" is just tribalism. There are good and bad films made by all the studios, there are overrated and underrated films made by all of them. Like what you like, enjoy what you enjoy, just don’t be an hypocrite.

You're awfully uppity for someone with no financial stake in any of this. I can like and dislike what I please.

• Like 2