baumer

We're The Millers

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

When you take a film about 4 misfits, mash them together and then watch the hilarity ensue, it works if you have a good script and if the actors are fearless to try new things.  We're The Millers is one of those films.  A fake family traveling across the border to bring drugs home is ripe with possibilities.  And they pretty much go for a lot of them.  There's a scene with Aniston, Roberts and Poulter where the two women are teaching him how to kiss properly as he is not only a virgin but he has never kissed a girl before.  Sudekis is standing by eating something like popcorn while it's happening.  It's very well done and one of the funnier scenes of the year.  

Much is made of Aniston and her stripping in the film and it has to be said here that she looks fantastic.  Her stripping is very pg in here so there is nothing to get really excited about. But she is really well cast and she does a nice job as the stripper with the no so heart of gold.  She's tough but sweet, bitter but wise.  

We're the Millers is the second best comedy of the summer next to This is the End.  I'm not sure what the critics were watching when they gave this a bad review but it certainly wasn't the same film I watched.

8.5/10

• Like 5

It has a ton of problems (poor plotting, runtime about 30 minutes too long, darkly comic tone becomes way too broad and schmaltzy by the end), but there were enough funny jokes and setpieces to keep me entertained. I liked it more than Horrible Bosses, but both films seemed caught in between something dark, perverted and hilarious and a big happy studio comedy.

Just got back from watching it. I have to say that it wasn't the 'dumb stupid no point' comedy that I thought it was going to be. I mean, there are problems that I had with the film, but since it was a comedy, I was prepared for the somewhat poor plots and the attempts at making it 'scary' at times. I felt the the first 20 minutes or so kind of dragged,  I guess since they were setting the story up. But once the family actually comes together (or 'fake' family), then it get funny. In fact, I'll give the film credit, there are some drop dead hilarious moments. Overall, it's a pretty good comedy film, but that's about it. I'd give an 8/10, not funnier than The Heat, but still entertaining.

It joins the rank of the heat, h3 and internship as mildy good comedies this summer. But as breaking bad premieres tom made me think alot of that. Rv, drugs and DEA lol. It was funny and entertaining but the funniest scene in the movie was the credits.3.5/5

Edited by Michael Gary Scott

We're the Millers is the second best comedy of the summer next to This is the End.  I'm not sure what the critics were watching when they gave this a bad review but it certainly wasn't the same film I watched.

8.5/10

2 in a row this week that we have the exact same feeling about a movie.

I loved Millers, my 2nd favorite comedy as well. It was surprising weirdly cute and endearing. 

B+

• Like 1

As Gopher alludes to, it's caught between a darkly comic drug comedy and big mainstream comedy. The result is a very uneven comedy with highs and lows littered throughout. There are some funny scenes, but when viewed as a whole We're the Millers is nothing more than a middling viewing experience.C+/C

Edited by mattmav45

As Gopher alludes to, it's caught between a darkly comic drug comedy and big mainstream comedy. The result is a very uneven comedy with highs and lows littered throughout. There are some funny scenes, but when viewed as a whole We're the Millers is nothing more than a middling viewing experience.C+/C

I think you're very close to liking it.  Maybe you should give it another try.  :)

Not gonna bother.  Looks like a very typical, generic family comedy.

It's a very generic family comedy about a small time drug dealer who hires a stripper and a promiscuous street kid to help him smuggle 2 tons of weed across the border.  They discuss anal sex, lap dances, bad sex and putting money into Aniston's crotch.  One of the kids gets his dick bit by a giant spider and his sack gets to the the siz of a grapefruit.  It's very much like Home Alone/Cheaper By The Dozen.

• Like 3

I didn't laugh as hard or as consistently as I did with a few other comedies this year, but it's an enjoyable way to spend a couple hours. It helps that I like Aniston and Sudeikis a lot. I probably won't remember the gags in a month, but hey, some of them got a laugh outta me while they were there.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Just finished watching it. Yeah, it wasn't the killer comedy I expected it to be. It had jokes, some of them I didn't find funny (I mean, I smiled... but no real laughs), apart from a few of them that killed me. When it made me laugh, it made me laugh real good.

The three way kiss scene was pretty... wow. Lucky bastard. (I still don't understand why they didn't sugar that scene up with a Jen/Emma kiss... I mean, COME ON!)

Didn't like the ending where everybody just magically kisses the person they liked or stuff like that. The ending blooper with Friends theme song was pretty hilarious.

Overall, B+/B

Edited by ChD
  • Like 1