53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Horrible. I hated it. I was shocked at how uninventive, unimpressive, riddled with cliches and just flat-out boring it was. There is nothing, nothing in here that you havent seen done better in another sci-fi movie. I noticed bits of at least WALL-E, 2001, District 9 (obviously), Robocop and Inception. It has nothing exciting or new to offer, not at all.

I think its actually a bit worse than Man of Steel, because MoS had at least some good bits in the first 30 minutes. This is just the same unengaging crap from beginning to end.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 3

Horrible. I hated it. I was shocked at how uninventive, unimpressive, riddled with cliches and just flat-out boring it was. There is nothing, nothing in here that you havent seen done better in another sci-fi movie. I noticed bits of at least WALL-E, 2001, District 9 (obviously), Robocop and Inception. It has nothing exciting or new to offer, not at all. I think its actually a bit worse than Man of Steel, because MoS had at least some good bits in the first 30 minutes. This is just the same unengaging crap from beginning to end.

So let me guess, does Damon's character eventually get to elysium, fucks people up and instead of saving himself he sacrifices himself to save the little girl?

Well yes, thats exactly what happens. You've seen the movie?

No, but I saw a sick girl in the script and I know Damon's characters isn't perfect so I just put 2 and 2 together. In the trailer it mentions how he can 'over-ride the system' so I'm guessing then naughty robots ended up being over-ridden too and the poor can start using the healing machines. Is that right?

No, but I saw a sick girl in the script and I know Damon's characters isn't perfect so I just put 2 and 2 together. In the trailer it mentions how he can 'over-ride the system' so I'm guessing then naughty robots ended up being over-ridden too and the poor can start using the healing machines. Is that right?

Yeah something like that. Matt Damon, the mother and the sick girl end up in Elysium and the mother cures her daughter with one of them cancer curing tanning beds you see on the trailer. Then Matt Damon and this mexican dude that got him in Elysium try to get some info out of Matt Damon's head that will somehow corrupt Elysium's system but Sharlto Copley wants to be the president of Elysium so his thugs start to blow shit up around the place. Jodie Foster, who's super useless in this movie, is killed by Copley who then fights Matt Damon and the mexican guy but Matt Damon throws Copley off a balcony and he explodes. Then something something and finally Matt Damon sacrifices himself in the process of uploading the info from his head to the Elysium (dont ask me how that works) and all the man fascist robots turn nice and before anyone can say "This actually doesnt solve shit" ships are sent to Los Angeles to fetch poor and sick people to be flown the Elysium

Yeah something like that. Matt Damon, the mother and the sick girl end up in Elysium and the mother cures her daughter with one of them cancer curing tanning beds you see on the trailer. Then Matt Damon and this mexican dude that got him in Elysium try to get some info out of Matt Damon's head that will somehow corrupt Elysium's system but Sharlto Copley wants to be the president of Elysium so his thugs start to blow shit up around the place. Jodie Foster, who's super useless in this movie, is killed by Copley who then fights Matt Damon and the mexican guy but Matt Damon throws Copley off a balcony and he explodes. Then something something and finally Matt Damon sacrifices himself in the process of uploading the info from his head to the Elysium (dont ask me how that works) and all the man fascist robots turn nice and before anyone can say "This actually doesnt solve shit" ships are sent to Los Angeles to fetch poor and sick people to be flown the Elysium

Well it could be worse, at least no-one gets their face blown off then gets resurrected because that would make things stupid..
  • Like 2

That happens in Elysium.. You sure you havent seen this?

I honestly haven't seen it. But I did read the script lol.Did they keep the scene where Matt Damon steals the cash the mother had saved for her sick daughter to get to elysium? I heard they cut it out.

No that scene wasnt in the movie.

Thats a shame, it was one of the good ones. After he gets shot, he finds that women (i forgot what his relationship was to her) who takes him back to her house and this is where he meets the sick girl. She then asks him to stay there with the girl whist she goes back to work a shift. He then raides through the cuboards and finds the stack of money the mother had been saving for her child, runs off with it so he can pay to get himself up to Elysium without having to do it the hard way. If i remember correctly, he can't because by then, all flights had been cancelled.

as boring as Mos 

Can't believe its directed by the same guy who was behind Distict 9 :(  :( :(

the end while manipulating got me but 10 seconds isnt enough to make it better

Edited by Leyla
  • Like 1

I gave it a B+

Pluses: With one notable exception, the gritty realistic technology featured throughout the movie was a treat, same goes for the weapons.  Besides the tech, most of what I liked were the performances.  Sharlto Copley did an impressive turn as the nasty Kruger.  He ranks up there as one of this year's Best Villains.  Jodie Foster, William Fichtner, and Wagner Moura (Spider) did very well in their respective roles as well.  I really liked the concept, the overall story and the fact they didn't lay on the apartheid undertones too thick.  

Minuses: generally speaking, for me, whenever a movie uses children/wives, let alone sick children/wives, to move a plot along and give the hero something to care about, I dunno, it just seems a bit hamfisted,manipulative, and forced.  I kinda wish his initial self preservation motive was, ahem, preserved, throughout the flick and at the end he sacrifices himself.  

The med bays, cmon, seriously...Prometheus now this?  I don't think we'll ever have the technology to reconstruct someone's face within seconds.  Seems too unrealistic...too out there.  

Overall, a strong film.  One of this year's best although that isn't saying much.  

• Like 2