A Marvel Fanboy

Dredd (September 21, 2012)

Anyone who actually lived through the 80's wouldn't say that. So I assume you didn't. NOTHING about Dredd reminded me of the 80's at all. Well except that maybe when I was TWELVE all the ultra violence would have been enough to hold my interest.

Hahahaha. Well... mate, *I* "lived through the 80's", I was a kid exactly then. And I can assure you that most action movies in that time period are extremely DUMB AND CRINGE-WORTHY. I hate them now, and wasn't impressed by them even as a kid.Of course, this might have something to do with me being extremely intelligent (IQ 150+) back then - and hopefully now. Dredd 3D is written by a great writer (Alex Garland) and every line is a gem. JD was a corporative mess.
  • Like 1

Hahahaha. Well... mate, *I* "lived through the 80's", I was a kid exactly then. And I can assure you that most action movies in that time period are extremely DUMB AND CRINGE-WORTHY. I hate them now, and wasn't impressed by them even as a kid.Of course, this might have something to do with me being extremely intelligent (IQ 150+) back then - and hopefully now. Dredd 3D is written by a great writer (Alex Garland) and every line is a gem. JD was a corporative mess.

Spongeworthy said Dredd included some deadpan humor that evoked thoughts of the 80's. I disagreed. Nowhere did I say that action movies from the 80's were great cinema. And MY IQ goes to infinity so my opinion MUST be right.As a general rule I like what Alex Garland has worked on in the past, but Dredd isn't anywhere near his best work.
  • Like 1

...and this new Dredd is so loved, so why the severe decrease? £3.6m is not very good at all for a British movie of a British character and with 17 years of inflation. Pitiful. It didn't even put up a contest.

To offer my perspective here Algren, as a bloke of 20 living in the UK and able to actually give an honest idea of what its like, nobody in my generation knows of Dredd whatsoever outside of the two movies. The people that would have turned out for a dredd movie in 95 couldn't give less of a shit now, and my generation haven't been introduced to him. THAT is why it hasn't done gangbusters here. Didn't stop it from being freaking awesone though!
  • Like 1

To offer my perspective here Algren, as a bloke of 20 living in the UK and able to actually give an honest idea of what its like, nobody in my generation knows of Dredd whatsoever outside of the two movies. The people that would have turned out for a dredd movie in 95 couldn't give less of a shit now, and my generation haven't been introduced to him. THAT is why it hasn't done gangbusters here. Didn't stop it from being freaking awesone though!

We are the same age and nationality, and my opinion differs from yours, therefore your perspective is no more representative of the UK than mine is.

From Wikipedia-

The film received extremely negative reviews and retains a 4% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 23 reviews.[2][3][4] The film found more success on VHS and DVD.[5] Stallone claimed it was the worst film he ever made.[6] In an interview with Ain't It Cool News, Stallone referred to it as "maybe one of the worst films in the entire solar system, including alien productions we’ve never seen", that "a flatworm could write a better script", and "in some countries – China, I believe – running [the movie] once a week on government television has lowered the birth rate to zero. If they ran it twice a week, I believe in twenty years China would be extinct."[7]

You have to learn one thing about Stallone. He ridicules all of his unsuccessful movies. Doesn't mean they aren't good. In fact, Stallone ridiculing it only means it wasn't successful, and is no way a determinant of the quality.I really don't see your point here. It's not illegal for me to like any film I want, so I don't understand why you are posting stuff like that. It's wasting my time.

I like all of his movies apart from No Place to Hide and A Party at Kitty & Studs, and Rhinestone isn't great either.

Why do you have to be like that, Gopher? Can't you accept that I like his films just like I've accepted that you only like arthouse fare and Oscar winners.

Judge Dredd (95) aint bad seen it a few times and its typical low range stallone but I think more an indication of how film studios treated these type of films in the mid 90's.But if someone really likes the film who am I to disagree...my fav star trek film is insurrection!