Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

soooooooo it says "Passengers flops" in the title but are there any numbers?

This is kind of odd to me that it does SO WELL in some countries and really poorly in others.

On 12/27/2016 at 1:17 AM, Spidey Freak said:

I had an interesting discussion with my colleague who is originally from Kochi about why larger Indian audiences scoff at Star Wars as being "too silly" but LOVE other nerdy properties like superheroes, HP etc. She said superheroes are basically modern takes on gods which connects with a society where mythology is such a strong part of the culture. And she said aspects of Potter reminded folks of their own Anglo dormitory/convent school upbringing and also that the books really caught on as well. The other successful blockbusters belong to incredibly universal genres like force of nature (Jurassic Park/World, Anaconda, 2012) or straight up rollicking actioners like Fast & Furious. Her take was that Star Wars fell in a weird place where it was "too geeky" and felt too foreign, without overtly universal hooks like those present in superhero, Potter movies etc.

I don't suppose you or anyone have any insight to what wasn't liked about Passengers? 

Just now, trifle said:

soooooooo it says "Passengers flops" in the title but are there any numbers?

This is kind of odd to me that it does SO WELL in some countries and really poorly in others.

I don't suppose you or anyone have any insight to what wasn't liked about Passengers? 

http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-crosses-900-million-china-sing-passengers-dangal-international-box-office-weekend-1201880724/

India, currently led by Aamir Khan’s blockbuster Dangal, launched with $690K from 635 screens

Passengers flopped because it isn't a brand name, and JLaw and Pratt have no name recognition in India. Not too much more to it than that. Hollywood movies rarely see good legs in India as well - only exceptions are probably Avatar, Titanic and Jungle Book. A Hollywood movie needs to open big to have any chance in this market.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/01/rogue-one-crosses-900-million-china-sing-passengers-dangal-international-box-office-weekend-1201880724/

India, currently led by Aamir Khan’s blockbuster Dangal, launched with $690K from 635 screens

Passengers flopped because it isn't a brand name, and JLaw and Pratt have no name recognition in India. Not too much more to it than that.

Thanks.  I found it:

Adding 12 markets this weekend, Sony’s Passengers saw another frame of growth with $32.7M in 62 markets total. The holdover plays were down just 29%, taking the offshore cume to $104.6M ahead of bows in both China and Japan.

Presented in association with LStar Capital, Village Roadshow and Wanda Pictures, the Morten Tyldum-helmed space pic lifted off with $5.5M in Germany on 887 screens (including previews). The strong start is 65% bigger than Gravity, 27% above The Martian and 21% higher than Interstellar.

Latin America’s $4.5M as a region topped the above comps and was led by Brazil’s $3.2M on 652 screens.

In Asia, Korea bowed Wednesday to $3.5M on 550 screens (Japanese smash Your Name is leading that market). The Philippines took flight at No. 2 with $775K from 153 screens, 22% ahead of Gravity. India, currently led by Aamir Khan’s blockbuster Dangal, launched with $690K from 635 screens.

Russia saw a jump of 7% in its 3rd frame to earn $2.3M from 1,400 screens ($15.1M cume). Italy dipped just 2% for a $4.4M cume; and Spain increased 3% from opening to bring the cume to $4.9M. Australia’s first full weekend was $2.3M for a $5.7M cume with three weeks of school holidays ahead. In the UK, the total on the Chris Pratt/Jennifer Lawrence-starrer is $12.9M. China bows next weekend.

I know that was your prediction, but I'm wondering what the take is of people in India. Are you in India?

Edited by trifle

Just now, trifle said:

Thanks, I meant numbers in India. I have domestic numbers (although I am not sure they are final.)

I know that was your prediction, but I'm wondering what the take is of people in India. Are you in India?

It earned 690k in India, roughly 5 Crore in domestic currency.

• Like 1

Khaidi No 150 was huge on OD

http://boxofficeindia.com/report-details.php?articleid=2627

The Telugu film Khaidi No.150 took an unbelievable bumper opening on Wednesday. The collections were the eighth highest of all time in India and it was the third highest opening ever for a South Indian film. The opening at an all India level was a bit better than Dangal which released a few weeks back

1. Prem Ratan Dhan Payo - 55.03 crore

2. Kabali - 53.96 crore 

3. Sultan - 51.15 crore

4. Happy New Year - 50.78 crore

5. Bahubali - 49.48 crore

6. Dhoom 3 - 45.67 crore

7. Singham Returns - 43.44 crore

8. Khaidi No.150 - 41.75 crore apprx

9. Ek Tha Tiger - 41.29 crore

10. Dangal - 41.19 crore

11. Chennai Express - 40.81 crore

12. Sardaar Gabbar Singh - 37.10 crore

13. Janatha Garage - 36.48 crore

14. Bajrangi Bhaijaan - 36.23 crore

15. PK - 34.24 crore

OK Jaanu and xXx3 both opened decently 

Ok Jaanu fair start in the morning but did not go through with the collections in the evening as it collected around 3.75-4 crore nett.

Hollywood release XXX - Return Of Xander Cage featuring Deepika Padukone released later in the evening post 6pm and managed a decent collection of around 1.75 crore nett from the paid previews. The looks a better bet than Ok Jaanu at least for the weekend but even this will depend on what happens on Monday and it could be tough to sustain. The South had its own big films so including the huge Khaidi No.150 which took an extraordinary start of over 40 crore gross box office on day one.

42 minutes ago, Ash Skywalker said:

RAEES and KAABIL tomorrow. Good luck to both the films.

Going for Raees FDFS ? 

I might watch Raees tomorrow as well. This was an unnecessary clash IMO, there is just one day of holiday to be taken advantage of here, either movie could have moved 2-3 weeks back and taken advantage of Valentine's Day instead which is also a big moviegoing day.

Raees with a pretty big OD, could potentially do 120Cr for the extended 5 day weekend if the OD figure is right

http://boxofficeindia.com/report-details.php?articleid=2655

The clash has turned out to be a very one sided affair on day one with Raees crushing the competition and taking a huge lead. Its unlikely that two major films released on the same day have seen such a big difference in collections on day one. The early estimates are around 21 crore nett for Raees and 7.50 crore nett for Kaabil. The star power of Shahrukh Khan has gunned down the star power of Hrithik Roshan. The latter also came out second best with the clash on Independence Day week as Mohenjo Daro grossed 8.80 crore nett on day one and the competition which was Akshay Kumar's Rustom grossed 13.92 crore nett. Still there the gap was reasonable but here its looking at a difference of over 13 crore nett just on one day.

• Like 1

How was the movie compared to SRK previous movies? Dilwale, Fan etc which also opened big but couldn't sustain well.

A solo release would have given 35crrs tomorrow on 26th Jan or may be even OD record. (now 25crrs can be expected for tomorrow?)

Kaabil seems to be HR's best performance but with clash collections are poor. Now everyone wants to release movie on holidays which is stupid as there are hardly 10-12 holidays in a year. Without clash on non holiday both would have done better. Its becoming ego clash as well so in future many clashes will happen on holidays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Dark Rock said:

How was the movie compared to SRK previous movies? Dilwale, Fan etc which also opened big but couldn't sustain well.

A solo release would have given 35crrs tomorrow on 26th Jan or may be even OD record. (now 25crrs can be expected for tomorrow?)

Kaabil seems to be HR's best performance but with clash collections are poor. Now everyone wants to release movie on holidays which is stupid as there are hardly 10-12 holidays in a year. Without clash on non holiday both would have done better. Its becoming ego clash as well so in future many clashes will happen on holidays.

Haven't seen it yet, but my friends who hate SRK movies are actually liking Raees. 

Agreed that the clash was completely unnecessary. It is not like it is a long holiday like Diwali or Eid where you get 3-4 holiday days not including weekends, here you get one extra holiday day. To earn maybe 5-10Crore more on that one day (maybe Kaabil will earn that much more, not sure), they are losing a lot of box office to the clash. Raees is pretty much maximising its potential currently, will be interesting to see if it can go 30Crore plus on Republic Day. Kaabil has suffered because it needed more space, should have aimed for Valentine's Day weekend instead. There are literally no huge blockbuster movies coming out till Bahubali 2 which will definitely be big, but that is April 28, there was literally 3 months to move a movie into.

Watched Raaes twice!!! Loved certain parts....its pure fans stuff 

First half is laced with racy entertainment 2nd half falters a bit but manages to be decent!

felt it was overplotted at times but anyways its artistically commercial!!

srk proves hes really good at what he does amazing actor! wish he does intense characters like raaes

nawazuddin does good job again hes pretty much like a cool cop with amazing screen presence music and bgm is pretty good and great at times

3.75/5 must watch for fans and good watch for others

Day 2 showed good growth for Raees and Kaabil both. Raees still outgrossed Kaabil by 10 Crore. If I was to guess, I would say 110-120Crore 5 day for Raees and 65-70Crore 5 day for Kaabil

http://www.boxofficeindia.com/report-details.php?articleid=2660

Raaes is set for a huge Republic Day collection of around 26 crore nett as per early estimates. Although this number is not the biggest ever or even near but no film has ever done this sort of business with a clash and with the sort of limited capacity it has. It is the highest day collection ever for a film when there have been two films released on the same day. The growth is around 30% which is excellent comsidering it had a strong day one and its two total is around 46.50 crore nett. The numbers jumped well all over with solid growth at multiplexes and single screens. This was the only holiday and now it will be seen where the film settles on Friday. The trend is solid but it is the next two days that will confirm this. 

Kaabil has shown huge growth on the national holiday as it has doubled up its collections to around 16 crore nett as per early estimates. This was a must for the film considering the poor start and even still despite the huge 100% jump collections are only 24 crore nett. But what this jump does is give the film a chance because if it had jumped just 50-60% which would have ben good but it would have also meant that the film is going nowhere. It still could be the case as this also happened with Shivaay which showed similar jumps on holidays but was flat on the other days. The national holiday number is what the film should really be doing on day one or at least close to it and now it must hold collections over the weekend and then a respectable extended five day weekend could come.

What a waste of opportunity due to clash...I feel although Raees looks easily the winner of two in the clash, it will also be the bigger loser due to clash. After a long time I am hearing good feedback from public for SRK movie...not great feedback but mass pleasing decent entertainer. Without clash it could have been targeting 250crrs+ but will now do around 150-160crrs

On the other hand Kaabil will do around 100-110crrs...while without clash it could have done around 150-160crrs.

5 hours ago, The Dark Rock said:

What a waste of opportunity due to clash...I feel although Raees looks easily the winner of two in the clash, it will also be the bigger loser due to clash. After a long time I am hearing good feedback from public for SRK movie...not great feedback but mass pleasing decent entertainer. Without clash it could have been targeting 250crrs+ but will now do around 150-160crrs

On the other hand Kaabil will do around 100-110crrs...while without clash it could have done around 150-160crrs.

Yup, this will end up being an unnecessary clash. Raees could have used some trimming in the second half similar to Sultan and Dangal (seriously speaking, second halves seem to kind of suck for most hindi movies) but it is definitely his best in quite some time and an out and out mass entertainer for sure. Kaabil was always going to be the runner up ever since they couldn't drum up any interest, it should have moved early IMO. I would agree that about 100Crores total will be lost thanks to the clash.

Kaabil (first 3 days)

Taran Adarsh: 38.87 Cr.

BOI: 31 Cr.

I have been noticing for the past several years, every single movie of Hrithik Roshan is usually underestimated big time by BOI.

The other star numbers seem to be close enough wit the trades.

It is almost certain that BOI deliberately wants to play down Hrithik movie box office. Only god knows why.

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Gosh, why are there no updates of the numbers no matter where I go?

The indian box office sites rarely update Hollywood movie box office collections. It has to come from the Hollywood studios themselves for the most part.

• Like 1