Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

2 hours ago, Olive said:

Figures below are for films in all languages they were released in. 

1. Bahubali 2 - The Conclusion - 155 crore apprx

2. Prem Ratan Dhan Payo - 55.03 crore

3. Kabali - 53.96 crore 

4. Sultan - 51.15 crore

5. Happy New Year - 50.78 crore

6. Bahubali - 49.48 crore

7. Dhoom 3 - 45.67 crore

8. Singham Returns - 43.44 crore

9. Khaidi No.150 - 41.64 crore

10. Ek Tha Tiger - 41.29 crore

11. Dangal - 41.19 crore

12. Chennai Express - 40.81 crore

13. Sardaar Gabbar Singh - 37.10 crore

14. Janatha Garage - 36.48 crore

15. Bajrangi Bhaijaan - 36.23 crore

Is that single biggest OD for a movie in market not US/Canada or China?

2 hours ago, jb007 said:

Probably 5 to 6 times its "True" OD.

The Nizam/Andhra Nett is being reported as Rs. 45 Crores. That would mean about a Rs. 55 Crore gross (15% Entertainment tax). The cost of multiplex tickets are about 150 and Single screens average less than Rs. 70.  The overall Average maybe Rs. 75. That would mean it sold about 7.5 Million tickets on OD from just 2 states. I have my doubts.

this is not correct. in some districts in AP single screen prices were hiked to 200. Also in some screens tickets were sold as high as 1000 rupees.

So the current Estimate is that Baahubali 2 did around 121 Cr Nett.

Breakdown (Estimated gross figures in bracket):

Telugu (Andhra/Telengana): 50 Cr (55 Cr)

Telugu (Karnataka): 16 Cr (19.2 Cr)

Tamil (Tamilnadu): 9 Cr (10.8 Cr)

Malyalam (Kerela): 5 Cr (6 Cr)

Hindi (Rest of India): 41 Cr (57 Cr)

Total: 121 Crore (148 Cr) = $23M

Overseas it looks like:

USA: 30 Cr (incl. Thu previews)

Others: 30 Cr

Total: 60 Crore ($9.3M)

So... $32M+ WW.... Wow!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Fake said:

Overseas it looks like:

So... $32M+ WW.... Wow!

Dont think anyone expected this big a performance. I've been telling @Tele Came Back @baumerand others on WhatsApp that we were primed for a huge huge increase and a lot of records being broken. Even with the expectations, this was way beyond all rational increases.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Fake said:

Overseas it looks like:

So... $32M+ WW.... Wow!

is that 23m a net figure post-tax , or ? 

I am loving this.  Just goes to show the shit that bollywood offers that caters to a certain audience. They can't make a pan india film let alone pan worldwide film. Rajamouli has shown how it is done. I would say good on karan to present both the films to a wider audience, but in that too there must have been some greed associated...not out of good heart.

Oh and I am very sure the KHANS must be shitting their pants at this very moment. None of their upcoming films will come close to doing Bahubali business in India let alone overseas. The fun part will be to see them try to do it by manipulating/inflating figures. 

Bollywood barring Karan must be a very sad town right now for all the wrong reasons. 

Edited by marveldcfox

20 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

I am loving this.  Just goes to show the shit that bollywood offers that caters to a certain audience. They can't make a pan india film let alone pan worldwide film. Rajamouli has shown how it is done. I would say good on karan to present both the films to a wider audience, but in that too there must have been some greed associated...not out of good heart.

Oh and I am very sure the KHANS must be shitting their pants at this very moment. None of their upcoming films will come close to doing Bahubali business in India let alone overseas. The fun part will be to see them try to do it by manipulating/inflating figures. 

Bollywood barring Karan must be a very sad town right now for all the wrong reasons. 

I think this will prompt other bollywood stars to join mahabharat or other south indian projects like akki in 2.0

32 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Would be great if this teaches Bollywood that you can invest in a big budget and epic scope and make bank.

I'm personally hoping for a Mahabharata trilogy or a Ramayana two-parter. Those 2 epics have never been translated on a big budget yet and there is definitely a market for them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Dont think anyone expected this big a performance. I've been telling @Tele Came Back @baumerand others on WhatsApp that we were primed for a huge huge increase and a lot of records being broken. Even with the expectations, this was way beyond all rational increases.

Well... one factor that helped it was the astronomical ticket price hikes.... My nearby IMAX used to charge Rs. 325 for a 2D movie... when I checked showtimes for Baahubali 2, the price was increased to Rs. 500!

• Like 1

Just now, Fake said:

Well... one factor that helped it was the astronomical ticket price hikes.... My nearby IMAX used to charge Rs. 325 for a 2D movie... when I checked showtimes for Baahubali 2, the price was increased to Rs. 500!

True, but the fact that they sold out shows the demand was there. I remember paying 400 rupees to watch Ghajini way back in 08, so 500 sounds like a bargain :P

IMAX in the US increased prices from 20$ to 40$ as well.

1 hour ago, Fake said:

That's the Karan Johar effect! Even lame shit like Ae Dil hai mushkil had jacked up price tickets.

But TBH 500 for Imax doesn't sound bad. The ticket price for a newly released movie on a normal screen is usually around that.

Edited by marveldcfox

Bahubali is telling a very relatable and simple storyline and has mass appeal

Story of Ramayan and Mahabharat crosses across many Asian cultures as well.

Personally I am not even Hindu and know the two stories inside out.

• Like 2

Day 2 sets another record in Hindi. No movie has had 2 40 Crore days even post inflated reporting. This is truly unprecedented. South collections will drop on day 2 but that is to be expected for sure

Bahubali - The Conclusion held on extremely well on its second day as it collected around the 40 crore nett region again after a 40.75 crore nett day one. After such an extraordinary opening you would expect a drop but there is hardly any drop. The records continue to fall as after an all time record day one, it also has an all time record on day two with the highest collections ever on day two for a Hindi language film. The most astounding thing about these collections is not that they are coming on non holidays as Dhoom 3 has set huge records on non holidays but that they are coming with 12-15% of the market are missing.

This is because there are limited shows of the Hindi version in Nizam /Andhra, Mysore and Tamil Nadu / Kerala. Real value of these collections are in excess of 45 crore nett. The business of Bahubali - The Conclusion over the first two days is as follows.

Friday - 40,75,00,000

Saturday - 40,00,00,000 apprx

1 hour ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

According to komal nahta first day was 36.5 in hindi and not 40.5 as reported.

All of a sudden Komal Nahta talking about real collections...Lol at these Bo pundits. Maybe some actor called him up and said to make Bahubali lesser in hindi heartland than what it is. Truth is on a non holiday it has done humungous business with zero stars..Just the vision, hype and marketing of film was enough.

Our so called Khan superstars need holiday+solo release to get 35+ or 40+ opening. Overrated bunch. 

34 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

All of a sudden Komal Nahta talking about real collections...Lol at these Bo pundits. Maybe some actor called him up and said to make Bahubali lesser in hindi heartland than what it is. Truth is on a non holiday it has done humungous business with zero stars..Just the vision, hype and marketing of film was enough.

Our so called Khan superstars need holiday+solo release to get 35+ or 40+ opening. Overrated bunch. 

Why would he do that when bahubali 2 is well above any record. Now it's not about record but how high bar will this set.

And I think after fake numbers from krish 3 and kabali producers, trade analyst are seeing every number with scrutiny.

46 minutes ago, Olive said:

Indian BO tracking is so complicated...

I agree, why must a box office tracking be so complicated? the net gross from tax and rental gross are the most annoying figure that dwarf the spectacular performance from indian movies in the eyes of world