Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

Any Dhoom 3 Prediction?

250 crore guaranteed! Even 300 crore is possible. So it doesn't matter whether Krrish 3 outgrossed Chennai Express or not, Aamir is taking the crown back.

Reasoning behind the prediction: Back in 2006, Dhoom 2 grossed about 30% more than Krrish. I don't see why it will gross less now. Plus Aamir Khan was the first one to get past 100 crore and 200 crore marks, so it would not be unreasonable to say that he shall be the first one to cross 300 crore.

• Like 1

Except Boxofficeindia.com, every single tracking outfit in India  has put Krrish 3 well over Rs. 200 Crores (obviously including Telugu and Tamil version grosses). Hrithik Roshan himself confirmed the Rs. 206 Cr in 10 days number. I would take that over some biased boxoffice site even to this day does not include other language version grosses to the total. Total losers.

Not quite. Boxofficeindia.co.in is reporting 185 crore for two week gross while boxofficeindia.com is reporting 180 crore (170 crore Hindi + 10 crore regional). Compare that to the 226 crore so called official figure. I know boxofficeindia.com has done some biased reporting in the past and may do so again in the future, but this time I don't think they are the one who is lying.

And about separating out the Tamil & Telugu gross, why is it a problem? they do specifically mention those grosses in their report. Well, if you can't add 170 crore and 10 crore to get to 180 crore, then it is your problem, not theirs.

Only reason to take the 200+ number is due to Hrithik officially releasing the box office data to the media. Those kind of statements will certainly used be against them by tax authorities. Tracking outfits can afford to lie. Producers cannot at least not officially.Anyway, I have fair amount of trust on boi.co.in where as boi.com posted bogus reports this past Friday. Just showed that they and/or their sources are not trustworthy. You can believe whomsoever you want. Believing a bogus outfit is your problem not mine.

Edited by jb007

Hrithik never said any amount to be the 'nett' gross. He posts figures in crores and other sites just assume that it is nett gross he is talking about. It is very much possible that he is talking about total collections and the actual nett is around what BOI is reporting, because producers generally report total gross, not nett.And you seem to have checked up on every theatre in Gujarat to declare so confidently that most of the places didn't open. You need to read the timesofindia article a bit carefully. It says that shows went normally past afternoon. Some places may not have opened and BOI mentions that as well. The shows that did take place, and their numbers were significant, had excellent occupancies. You really need to brush up your comprehension skills, or you link me to an article that says most of the shows all over Gujarat were cancelled. Your one theater is not all of Gujarat.

Hrithik never said any amount to be the 'nett' gross. He posts figures in crores and other sites just assume that it is nett gross he is talking about. It is very much possible that he is talking about total collections and the actual nett is around what BOI is reporting, because producers generally report total gross, not nett.And you seem to have checked up on every theatre in Gujarat to declare so confidently that most of the places didn't open. You need to read the timesofindia article a bit carefully. It says that shows went normally past afternoon. Some places may not have opened and BOI mentions that as well. The shows that did take place, and their numbers were significant, had excellent occupancies. You really need to brush up your comprehension skills, or you link me to an article that says most of the shows all over Gujarat were cancelled. Your one theater is not all of Gujarat.

So what is the actual nett collection of K3?

Obviously Fake does not want to accept the facts. I did notice in Cinepolis that the shows were cancelled. But several newspaper reports clearly stated that the showings were cancelled at many places (One is quoted here). Most that showed did not even start till later in the afternoon. But BOI was reporting strong start for the movie in Gujarat when the shows had not opened for the public. That is lying at its very best. Obviously you would rather take the lies. 

Unlike your BOI, my report was based on my eyewitness accounts and actual newspaper reports of the same elsewhere. I cannot help it you did not the read my entire post and assumed it was based on one multiplex report. 

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ramleela-screened-amid-tight-security/1195573/0

Ram-Leela' screened amid tight security

Express News Service : Rajkot, Ahmedabad, Surat, Sat Nov 16 2013, 09:03 hrs

Bollywood flick 'Ram-Leela' opened to packed houses in cinema halls across the state, where the film was screened amid tight security on Friday.

Fearing violent protests, several theatre and multiplex owners had to cancel shows during the day, while some others screened the movie under heavy police security.

In Rajkot city, that saw the most vehement protests against the movie by the Kshatriya community, it was released in three multiplexes.

Cinemax and Cosmoplex started screening of 'Ram-Leela' in their morning shows as city police guarded the entrances of the cinema houses. However, Big Cinemas, the third multiplex in the city, waited till afternoon for starting its show at 1 pm.

"We did not want to take any risk so we waited till afternoon to watch as to how the release of the movie goes at other places. We also lost some business," said an officer of Big Cinemas.

Incidentally, the outer façade of Crystall Mall, which houses Big Cinemas, was vandalised last month during a rally by Kshatriya community to protest the release of the movie claiming it portrayed the community in bad light.

Alpesh Solanki, business head of Cinemax said that they had planned 10 shows on Friday and 14 shows on weekend. "Our shows for Friday is almost houseful. The response for Saturday and Sunday too has been good as I believe the controversies drew people to cinema houses," he said. True to Solanki's claim, long queues were seen at these multiplexes.

"We have made enough bandobast to keep situation normal. They (owners of cinema houses) were also little apprehensive so we made deployment at cinema houses," city Police Commissioner Harjeshwar Pratap Singh. The commissioner further said that five persons have been a

rrested in connection with vandalisation of Cosmoplex booking office on Thursday evening.

Manubhai Patel, president of Gujarat Multiplex Theatre Association said, "Till yesterday, we had decided not to screen the film in multiplexes across Ahmedabad. We were also not sure of police protection. But when larger multiplex chains like PVR and Cinemax screened the early morning shows today, we also started showing the movie. Police arrangements have been made by the state government."

Cinepolis unit head in Ahmedabad Manish Karanwal said, "We have been given orders to screen the film. However, on police's recommendation, we cancelled four out of total 15 shows during the daytime," he said.

Avinash Shashidhar, a duty officer at PVR cinemas said that the multiplex has kept the police on stand-by because of apprehensions that the screenings might be stopped mid-way or the cinema halls vandalised. "Despite the threat perception, the film has got a positive response. The first show was a houseful," he added.

In Surat too, police were seen posted outside multiplexes. President of Surat city Multiplexes Association Ajit Jain said, "We hired extra security guards and posted them both inside and outside the multiplexes. We also have the assistance of CCTV cameras and the local police. Our people are also present inside the hall in plain clothes to identify and stop people who may try to create disturbances."

(Inputs from Gopal Kateshiya, Asavari Sharma, Harita Dave and Kamaal Saiyed)

Release leads to violent protests in twin city

AHMEDABAD: The screening of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Ram-Leela led to violence in Gandhinagar and Ahmedabad on Friday.

In Gandhinagar, the protest turned violent as a group of people vandalised ticket windows and booking offices of Cine Max multiplex late on Thursday night.

Vishwa Hindu Parishad coordinator in Ahmedabad Raju Patel said, "We held a meeting with the multiplex owners on Thursday night and requested them not to release the movie in their respective multiplexes.

However, some of them released it, while some have cooperated with us. The single screen theatres have not screened the movie in Ahmedabad and district areas like Sanand, Dholka, Viramgam, among others." The protests in Ahmedabad were not violent, he said.

The protesters allegedly broke glasses of Cine Max multiplex at Sector 11 in Gandhinagar, using iron rods and stones at midnight after they found that the theatre group had decided to screen the movie in the morning. Sector 7 police registered a case of clashes against unidentified persons in this regard.

Edited by jb007

The articles don't say that most of the shows were cancelled, for example the Cinepolis Unit in Ahmedabad cancelled 4 out of 15 shows, which is just 27%. And you seem to have missed the words like 'packed house' and 'houseful'. Near-100% occupancies in over 70% shows will still be called excellent opening.

Obviously, again just selective reading. Most places cancelled their shows.  Check the highlighted part  Big Cinemas did not even open till 1 PM. Even cInepolis did not have any shows till 12:45 PM. The first report on BOI came at about 10 AM when majority of the showings had not even taken place due to protests.  How did they report a fantastic opening in Gujarat? That was my point to begin with which is obviously lost on you.

The same BOI reported the next day, losses due to cancelled shows to be about Rs. 50 Lakhs. Is this small for one day from one region? You are just grasping at straws.

G
oliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela Opens Very Well At Multiplexes

Frisday 15th November 2013 11.00 IST
Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela open very well at multiplexes at most places. The occupancies on average were around 60%.

The film did not have an advance as plans opened on Thursday due to a court judgement where the name of the film had to be changed. So despite this, the film has managed to open very well at multiplexes.

The film has a very good start in Mumbai circuit with Gujarat being excellent due to film having local content wile Mumbai city also opened very well which does not happen for many films. The opening in Maharashtra was less than Gujarat and Mumbai city.

The film also opened very well at most multiplexes in Delhi NCR while UP was a bit lower. The opening in East Punjab was also less as Punjabi film Bhaji In Problem took the lead though Bhaji In Problem did not take a huge start as some Punjabi films have over the last year or so. Overall its a very good start for Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela and should go past the 10 crore nett mark on day one on this start.

The other release Rajjo opened poorly at around 10%.

http://boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=6234&nCat=

This report was posted at 11 AM on Friday, which was bogus given that most of the shows had been cancelled or not started yet. The fact that at this point these guys were not even aware of the fact and just posting some glowing report for Gujarat shows their duplicity.

Okay in that case, maybe they were wrong. But it maynot have been necessarily lying but only lack of awareness at that point of time. Maybe the theaters they get their initial numbers from were open and recorded great occupancies.

I have no special love for BOI nor do I claim that their reporting is always the best and without any faults. It is just that I have found they 'lie' less than others.

I have a question about Indian box office.

Chennai Express broke 3 idiots record and such?

Do these films make a lot of money by really high ticket prices or actually big admissions hits like past hits like HAHK and DDLJ and such /

Now I think it is a combination of:

- Hiked ticket prices

- Carpetbombing theaters (extremely wide release)

- Releasing on a holiday

I think Sholay, Mughal-e-Azam, HAHK, DDLJ and Gadar will be among the top admissions if something like that was ever tracked.

• Like 1

I think so 3 idiots was a craze but Chennai Express does not seem to be a film that is like one of the most watched bollywood films ever. 

3 Idiots was leggy. It opened small but sustained over a long period. Chennai Express, shockingly enough, outdid all predictions. No one thought SRK still had it in him to open a movie big. It may not be one of the most watched, but it did not die on the vine either.

The best run this year IMO was YJHD. Completely unexpected, considering that it had no help from holidays or anything.