Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

I'm surprised about some of your reactions here. Pay attention. Check the highlighted part. By Everything Else Rakesh clearly is talking about ancillary income. Seasoned Box Office followers cannot be naive enough to ignore revenue from ancillary sources.

Let me do some quick calcs here:

Domestic:

The last net number I saw was around Rs. 241 Crore.

Using the universally accepted rate of 30% as entertainment tax in India,

Gross = 241/0.7 = Rs. 344 Crore

Overseas:

Gross = Rs. 50 Crore

Satellite Rights:

The number was reported as Rs. 40 Crores in the media. It is certain to have an escalation clause and since Krrish3 has crossed Rs. 200 Cr Net, it is bound to have escalation as high as 50%. Conservatively, I will use 25% escalation.

Satellite+Escalation: Rs. 50 crores

Music and Video Rights (As Reported in the media):

Music: Rs. 6 Cr.

Video Rights: Rs. 2-3 Cr.

Music+Video Rights: Rs. 8 Crores

In Film Branding/Tie-Ins and Merchandising:

http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/super-moolah-riding-on-bollywood-superhero-krrish-113110200584_1.html

In Film Branding/Tie-Ins Revenue: Rs. 40 to 50 Crores. 

Further, I have not even accounted for licensing revenue for the proposed animated Krrish show on Cartoon Network.

Add the revenue from all sources, Krrish3 is at about Rs. 500 Crores. That is my 2 cents.

I Don't think he was referring to Merchandise and TV/music video rights and etc. At that moment he was only talking about BO, not anything else. 

I Don't think he was referring to Merchandise and TV/music video rights and etc. At that moment he was only talking about BO, not anything else. 

Obviously you did not comprehend his statement. What do you think Everything Else means? 

I'm surprised about some of your reactions here. Pay attention. Check the highlighted part. By Everything Else Rakesh clearly is talking about ancillary income. Seasoned Box Office followers cannot be naive enough to ignore revenue from ancillary sources.

Let me do some quick calcs here:

Domestic:

The last net number I saw was around Rs. 241 Crore.

Using the universally accepted rate of 30% as entertainment tax in India,

Gross = 241/0.7 = Rs. 344 Crore

Overseas:

Gross = Rs. 50 Crore

Satellite Rights:

The number was reported as Rs. 40 Crores in the media. It is certain to have an escalation clause and since Krrish3 has crossed Rs. 200 Cr Net, it is bound to have escalation as high as 50%. Conservatively, I will use 25% escalation.

Satellite+Escalation: Rs. 50 crores

Music and Video Rights (As Reported in the media):

Music: Rs. 6 Cr.

Video Rights: Rs. 2-3 Cr.

Music+Video Rights: Rs. 8 Crores

In Film Branding/Tie-Ins and Merchandising:

http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/super-moolah-riding-on-bollywood-superhero-krrish-113110200584_1.html

In Film Branding/Tie-Ins Revenue: Rs. 40 to 50 Crores. 

Further, I have not even accounted for licensing revenue for the proposed animated Krrish show on Cartoon Network.

Add the revenue from all sources, Krrish3 is at about Rs. 500 Crores. That is my 2 cents.

'Gross collection' means only theatrical business not satellite rights/merchandise etc.

Even if he is including all those figures when he is being asked about theatrical business without clarifying explicitly what he means by 'everything else', he isn't being honest.

It is not just BOI who is contradicting these numbers, I have by now seen a few other sources as well.

• Like 1

Rakesh Roshan has clearly indicated that his box office net figures are about 40 to 50 crores higher than some trade pundits (or inflated as claimed by some of them). So obviously he is talking about reports of 180 to 190 Cr net from some outfits to his 241 Cr Net figure. He also chastises trade pundits for calling his numbers Gross instead of Net.

Based on Rakesh Roshan's numbers, the gross worldwide theatrical gross would be about 400 Cr. The rest is ancillary income which BTW is real money.

I would say Rs. 500 Cr. gross revenue from all sources is realistic.

Finally, I would take a producer like Rakesh Roshan's numbers over any trade pundits' numbers. If Rakesh Roshan were inflating his Net numbers, he would have to pay taxes on 40 to 50 crores  of income that he has not actually earned. Also he is bound to that figure with the tax authority, since he has released the box office numbers to the media .

Edited by jb007

Rakesh Roshan has clearly indicated that his box office net figures are about 40 to 50 crores higher than some trade pundits (or inflated as claimed by some of them). So obviously he is talking about reports of 180 to 190 Cr net from some outfits to his 241 Cr Net figure. He also chastises trade pundits for calling his numbers Gross instead of Net.

Based on Rakesh Roshan's numbers, the gross worldwide theatrical gross would be about 400 Cr. The rest is ancillary income which BTW is real money.

I would say Rs. 500 Cr. gross revenue from all sources is realistic.

Finally, I would take a producer like Rakesh Roshan's numbers over any trade pundits' numbers. If Rakesh Roshan were inflating his Net numbers, he would have to pay taxes on 40 to 50 crores  of income that he has not actually earned. Also he is bound to that figure with the tax authority, since he has released the box office numbers to the media .

Actually, he wouldn't have to pay taxes based on anything he says - the only tax he will pay will be based on the books of his company. He can freely go around saying any figure he wants, even saying "The collections may be 1000 Cr", the tax authorities are not allowed to take public statements as facts.

Actually, he wouldn't have to pay taxes based on anything he says - the only tax he will pay will be based on the books of his company. He can freely go around saying any figure he wants, even saying "The collections may be 1000 Cr", the tax authorities are not allowed to take public statements as facts.

That is not true. If the producer officially declares the collections, he will have to abide by it. I will give you 2 instances.

Mungaru Male producer had declared Rs. 33 Crore collections and used a lower gross during the tax filing. His offices were raided and he was forced to pay the taxes for the actual he had reported along with penalty.

Raghavendra Rajkumar officially released Rs. 47 Crore gross for Jackie in 2010. They had to pay taxes on that amount. The only leeway they have is how they show the production and marketing costs. The producers do show higher costs to reduce the tax burden  Due to this, Raghavendra Rajkumar did not officially announce the gross of their next movie Hudugaru.

Similarly, Rakesh Roshan cannot officially release a net of Rs. 241 Cr and later on claim a lower number. The tax collection nowadays is tough.nFurther, there is not much leeway in reducing the collections ,since the majority of the revenue for Bollywood movies comes from Multiplexes. Since most of the multiplexes are publicly owned, they release actual grosses for all movies.

As long as there is no transparency in the process, this will continue.

Whoever is right or wrong, Its a pity that, such mediocre movies like CE and K3 became highest grossing movies of all time, this year!

+1

I rarely watch bollywood movies or for that matter many Indian movies other than 4 to 5 Kannada movies per year. I have seen less than 10 Bollywood movies in the last 3.5 years and had not watched any bollywood movie between Tezaab (1988) and Rajneeti ( 2010). Also I have not watched Chennai Express and Krrish 3 either. I just follow box office of these movies and seldom have any interest in watching them. 

Of 2013 Hindi films I've seen:

Go Goa Gone (for the ridiculousness factor)

Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani

Had no expectations going in for YJHD and it actually surprised me.  Best Hindi film of the year by far (of 2  :lol: ). I've heard some praise for Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, so I might give that a shot, but that's going to be it for 2013.

There's been a handful of films in the last 5-6 years that I've thought were actually pretty good.  To name a few:

Excellent

Paan Singh Tomar (2012)

Dev D (2009)

Delhi 6 (2009)

Rockstar (2011)

Aamir (2008)

7 Khoon Maaf (2011)

Good

Barfi (2012)

Kaminey (2009)

Rocket Singh (2009)

A Wednesday (2008)

Tahaan (2008)

There's a few others I've wanted to check out (Udaan, Gangs of Wasseypur, etc.) but have never really gotten around to.

Edited by spizzer

Just noticed that Dhoom 3 is directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya, not Gandhvi.  That has me a little more interested now, as I enjoyed Tashan more than either Dhoom film.  Haven't been too impressed by the trailers, but Aamir typically knows what he's doing when it comes to script selection.

Just noticed that Dhoom 3 is directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya, not Gandhvi.  That has me a little more interested now, as I enjoyed Tashan more than either Dhoom film.  Haven't been too impressed by the trailers, but Aamir typically knows what he's doing when it comes to script selection.

Acharya directing it is why I am cautiously optimistic instead of really looking forward to it. Tashan was completely mindless and just seemed to have things because "Well, that seems cool".  However, we all know Aamir and Aditya Chopra will have way more input into Dhoom 3 than Tashan did.

Looks like Dhoom 3 is getting a pretty decent release in the US. 

Bollywood flick DHOOM 3 will launch in 200+ theaters on December 20. #Dhoom3

Widest Domestic releases (>150) by BOM:

Besharam - 217

Krrish 3 - 208

Kites -207

Ram Leela - 204

Chennai Express - 196

Raa One - 189

Talaash - 172

Don 2 - 167

Dabangg 2 - 166

Jab Tak Hai Jaan - 164