Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

spizzer: I have been tracking box office since 1978. I have also produced 2 Kannada movies. I have known the difference between Gross and Nett as it relates to Indian movies since forever. So .....

http://www.boxofficecapsule.com/collection

That's awesome dude  :D

So what do you make of BOI's discrepancy with other films, do you believe they were underreporting CE, YJHD, ETT, etc. as well?  They're lower on all of the top tier grossers for the last few years.

Part of the discrepency is due to the inclusion of tamil and telugu version collections by other outfits. The other part depends on their sources.BOI has a history of underreporting collections. They are always lower for some movies by as much as 10% compared to other outfits. After they continued to report bogus numbers for Avatar and refused to correct themselves even after the studio released their numbers, I stated to take BOIs numbers with a grain of salt. Outfits like boxofficeindia.co.in even compile actual collections for all major multiplexes. Those are accurate since my movie collections from all multiplexes reported was 100 percent correct. Further, they also list the gross and nett collections of individual movies for each chain based on location. Check it out, it is quite good.Hollywood studios report accurate grosses for all their indian movies. With indian production houses the single screen numbers are always a crapshoot. The only people who have access to DCRs (Daily Collection Report) are exhibitors, distributors and producers. Finally, exhibitors will have accurate data only for their own theaters. Distributors will have accurate data only for their distribution areas. Only the production house has access to accurate data for all distribution areas or at least as reported by the other two. Exhibitors and distributors do on occasion report lower numbers and pocket the difference. It is common for distributors to underreport, if they have to share collections with the producer contractually beyond a "Minimum Guarantee" paid by them to the producer to acquire the distribution rights.

Edited by jb007

Well, it is difficult to say who is right and who is wrong in this case, but we all know that numbers do tend to be manipulated and inflated by producers (with some help of the analysts too), just to claim some records and to show that the movie is more successful than it actually is.

What we need is a more ptransparent and regular system of reporting like most of the countries have. I don't understand what is the bottleneck in getting such a system in place.

Indian movies are mostly produced by individuals and there is no accountability. So it leads to this kind of issues regards to box office collections. In hollywood, movies are produced by studios which are publicly owned and are accountable to their share holders. Further, the ticketing system is recorded in real time.

Even in India, the multiplex grosses are recorded in real time leading to accurate collection records. Single screens are the problem.

No doubt about it. i'm 48.  :P

Good to see a fellow Kannadiga here.

The Kannada movie industry is always treated as the lesser of the 4 southern industries. Tamil and Telugu have the bigger openings, stars and collections, and the Malayalam industry has the award winning movies. Kannada had a pretty bad phase in the late 90s to mid-2000s when every poster of every movie had the hero covered in blood and catching a Macchu. I was hoping that "Mungaru Male" would change all that, but it was an aberration almost. I loved "Lifeu Ishtene" last year, and also "Lucia" this year. Being from the Konkan coast, my movie tastes are not leaning toward Kannada, as Kannada is effectively the 3rd language in my city behind the 2 local languages and Hindi and English movies are preferred over Kannada.

• Like 1

Good to see a fellow Kannadiga here.

The Kannada movie industry is always treated as the lesser of the 4 southern industries. Tamil and Telugu have the bigger openings, stars and collections, and the Malayalam industry has the award winning movies. Kannada had a pretty bad phase in the late 90s to mid-2000s when every poster of every movie had the hero covered in blood and catching a Macchu. I was hoping that "Mungaru Male" would change all that, but it was an aberration almost. I loved "Lifeu Ishtene" last year, and also "Lucia" this year. Being from the Konkan coast, my movie tastes are not leaning toward Kannada, as Kannada is effectively the 3rd language in my city behind the 2 local languages and Hindi and English movies are preferred over Kannada.

Good to know you are a kannadiga too.  :)

I agree. Other than Puneeth Rajkumar nobody has the star value to compete and beat out other language movies in Karnataka. 

Only his movies and Yograj Bhat's movies do well at multiplexes.This year there have been some low budget movies that have done very well including Victory, Lucia and SOLS. That is a good sign.

Unless the multiplex audience take to Kannada movies in a big way, it will be tough for the industry to produce consistent blockbusters from just single screen grosses.

Hey Grim, BOI says K3 made 123 crore nett in 7 days. And someone called Taran Adarsh says it has made 166 crores. What is this confusion? Is 166 crores are gross? And if so, how much gross CE made in 7 days? (only domestically)

KRRISH 3 Crosses 200 Cr Worldwide & 166 Cr Nett Domestic In Week One

‘Krrish 3’  is rewriting box office history and despite not so great pre diwali release time, film has tremendously well at box office with some real solid consistency. 

Film has collected 13.44 cr nett on day 7 which is awesome. Film has collected 166 cr nett plus in week one. Film has broken all week one record with some distance and managed to remain in double figure all 7 days and 20 plus cr nett for 5 days.

Film has almost zilch competition in week two from ''Satya 2'' and that is why minimum 50 cr nett from here looks realistic. If film finishes with 250 cr nett domestic figure that will be a new milestone and at the moment anything less than that will be disappointing.

This is real superhero stuff at box office!

Below are the collections for the film -

Domestic Collection

Friday 25.50 cr nett
 Saturday 23.00 cr nett
 Sunday 24.30 cr nett
 Monday 35.81 cr nett
 Tuesday 26.26 cr nett
 Wednesday 18.11 cr nett
 Thursday 13.44 cr nett
 Total Domestic Collections 166.52 cr nett
 Total Overseas Collections 36.00 cr nett
 Total Worldwide Collection 202.52 cr nett

http://www.boxofficecapsule.com/collection

http://boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=6223&nCat=

Krrish 3 Holds Strong On Day 8

Saturday 9th November 2013 10.30 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Krrish 3 held up well on day eight with collections around the 7.50 crore nett mark. The Gujarat area is still on holiday which is an advantage to the film. The weekend collections should go to 30 crore nett or higher. The record for second weekend is 33 crore nett by 3 Idiots. The business of Krrish 3 so far is as follows.

Friday - 18.75 crore

Saturday - 15.50 crore

Sunday - 15 crore

Monday - 31.50 crore

Tuesday - 20.50 crore

Wednesday 13 crore

Thursday - 9 crore nett

Friday - 7.50 crore nett

TOTAL - 130.25 crore nett

Two different sites, but also two different nett collections? What is this difference?

Actually, there is a third tracking outfit that is good and their numbers are in between the above two. This third site is more extensive and they compile daily data.

http://www.boxofficeindia.co.in/weekly-collections-%E2%80%93-box-office/

Krrish 3 Rakesh Roshan 1 139.68 Cr 139.68 Cr 2524
Mickey Virus Arun Rangachari, Vivek Rangachari 2 48.06 L 7.50 Cr 123
BOSS Viacom 18 Motion Pictures, Cape Of Good Films, Ashwin Varde 3 32.06 L 52.33 Cr 95
Grand Masti Indra Kumar, Ashok Thakeria 8 5.53 L 93.74 Cr 26
Shahid Ronnie Screwvala, Siddharth Roy Kapur, Anurag Kashyap, Sunil Bohra 3 5.14 L 2.17 Cr 46
The Lunchbox Guneet Monga, Anurag Kashyap, Arun Rangachari 7 2.71 L 20.16 Cr 28
War... Chhod Na Yaar AOPL Entertainment 4 2.34 L 6.52 Cr 17
Phata Poster Nikhla Hero Ramesh S Taurani 7 1.66 L 36.52 Cr 11
Shuddh Desi Romance Aditya Chopra 9 91.73 K 45.24 Cr 6
Dilli Gang Shweta Tyagi 2 45.26 K 6.25 L 11
Ishk Actually Sunny Khanna 2 37.04 K 32.88 L 3
Wake Up India Kanishka Films 2 7.39 K 3.70 L 3
Amdavad Junction Nextgen Enterainment? 2 6.39 K 3.90 L 1
Sooper Se Ooper Jigsaw Picture, Reliance Entertainment 2 2.00 K 5.77 L 2
Besharam Himanshu Kishan Mehra, Sanjeev Gupta, Reliance Entertainment 5 2.00 K 54.02 Cr 1
Edited by jb007