CloneWars

Why Does Planes Have a $50M Budget

They made changes to the film that they felt were needed to release it theatrically. Those changes made the budget increase. The budget would have been lower if it went straight to DVD as originally planned.

The budget really didn't change much at all due to the theatrical release. It was always going to be around 50m.So I hear...
  • Like 1

Tinkerbell cost more than Planes does, and it was DTV, and made solid profit.Then...all the sequels cost a lot less.The same will happen with Planes. The first film I believe is just absorbing some initial franchise costs which will pay off on the future films.I mean...if I had to guess...

:P

Tinkerbell cost more than Planes does, and it was DTV, and made solid profit.Then...all the sequels cost a lot less.The same will happen with Planes. The first film I believe is just absorbing some initial franchise costs which will pay off on the future films.I mean...if I had to guess...

Source on how much Tinkerbell cost???

They made changes to the film that they felt were needed to release it theatrically. Those changes made the budget increase. The budget would have been lower if it went straight to DVD as originally planned.

this. They had to put more effort in the animation after Disney announced that Planes would be released in cinemas. Just compare the very first teaser with the last trailer, the difference in quality is huge

Edited by Goffe

The animation for DTV films like Open Season 2 and 3 have subpar animation compared to Tinkerbell and Planes but I imagine they cost $15-20m, WB releases loads of animated DTV films ranging from DC to Scooby Doo and I've wondered how much they cost since the animation is pretty decent.