Rush (2013)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The movie is really excellent. Hems and Bruhl are brilliant, especially together. I found myself changing who I sided with more countless times over the course of the film. Racing scenes were exhilarating and it's Zimmer's best score since At World's End.

I had a big beef with the ending though. It was sappy and unnecessary. The two completely verbalize their relationship to the point of embarrassment, yes Ron Howard we did pick up on all of it, it wasn't subtle, no need to hit us around the head with it. And the info that Hunt died at 45 etc seemed forced, a postscript would have worked more naturally.

But yeah, brilliant movie overall. 9/10

• Like 5

I'm no Formula 1 Racing fan, heck, I don't even know how to drive but despite all that Ron Howard's latest film Rush made me care about the world of racing in ways I never thought I would. Rush is based on the true story of the intense rivalry between racers James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda (Daniel Bruhl) during the 70s. You don't even have to be a racing fan to appreciate the film as it tells a universal story about the essence of competition and how it drives you be the person you want to be.The first part of the film started with little focus and I was not sure what direction the story is heading as its structure of shifting its attention rapidly between Hunt and Lauda felt a little confusing at times. But after the first half hour, the film settles into a more focused rhythm as we get to know more about Hunt and Lauda and why they are so passionate with F1 racing. The script does a good job telling the stories of our two leads as both of their weaknesses and strengths were both displayed on screen. I'll say that there's no protagonist not antagonist between the two of them. What we see on screen are believable humans who are not perfect at all but they're driven to succeed. They could be selfish and arrogant at times just to get their goal but they will do everything to satisfy the hunger in their heart. It's a great character study on why people strive to be on top.My full review is published herehttp://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/content.php?r=772-Review-Rush-%282013%29 

• Like 2

Blah blah blah.  Is Olivia Wilde naked?  That will determine whether or not I see it.

From IMDb:

The film has at least three scenes showing the main character James Hunt having sex with multiple females and joking about it. There are also multiple scenes showing naked women where we clearly see their naked breasts and full body shots from behind clearly showing the naked buttocks of males and females. James also talks about having sex with one of the other drivers' wife.
Edited by CJohn

Yes, but Wilde is a main character, this doesn't explain to me whether or not she went full on nude.

True. I did a quick search and this is the closest thing I found:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/957271/olivia-wilde-reveals-the-naked-truth-about-undressing-on-set-of-rush.jhtml

• Like 1

I'll pass then.   :(

She is not naked in the movie.

The chick from Game of Thrones & Mockingjay, Natalie Dormer, is for a quick fuck with Thor though.

That 1976 season was crazy and Nikki Lauda's life story incredible. The  relationship between Lauda and Hunt in the movie is great, full of gentle hatred and mutual admiration.

I chocked hard at the end when you see the real guys ...

The races were really well done with a lot of Michal Bay's signature shots.

Thor was great as the playboy pilot with a heart of gold.

Bruhl totally owned Lauda and the movie, what a fantastic part he got there. You are going to see him a lot in the coming years.

Olivia Wylde.

One of Ron Howard's best movie.

A-

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

I can't wait to watch this 

This is such an amazing story and its ashamed americans are into that going around in circles racing thing instead of F-1 

Rivalries like this one are absent now from F-1 which is such a shame ... but I guess when there are less higher stakes its not as thrilling 

I heard Bruhl nails Lauda 

It's fantastic. The movie works because it gives equal strength to both Hemsworth and Bruhl, and the two play off their scenarios and each other in a brilliant way. In any other year, I could see an oscar nod for Hemsworth, that guy can really act. Ron Howard's direction here is also fantastic. The race scenes are exhilirating, the period flair looks great, and every sound and bit of music contributes to the intensity of the film. My one criticism is that it kind of takes a bit of time to get things going, but once it does, it never lets go.

Strongly reccomended.

A-

• Like 2

Everyone's right, the film is great. The camera work during the racing sequences was especially riveting, both the cinematography and how many different perspectives we got of the tracks and cars. 

What I liked most is that the film presents two rivals with very distinct ideologies and doesn't ask the viewer to pick sides but rather explore the successes and tragedies these men faced. 

• Like 5