Dementeleus

Weekend estimates-on PG 11. Cloudy 2@35M

So an $80m film is only going to do $90-100m domestically and probably double that overseas? OMG, how terrible.  :rolleyes:

That's not happening; the first one made more in the US than OS, and I don't see it changing this go around. It'll probably do 180M WW, which is terrible for such a huge film from Sony

Every studio goes through bad times. WB and Fox have had quite a bit.And of course Universal in 1998.Oh and then after Battle: LA Sony had no number one film till Underworld 4 :lol:

Despite none of their films after Battle LA being number 1 in 2011, two of them Bad Teacher and Smurfs were hits so I guess they didn't complain too much. Most studios go through bad patches, Universal had a bad few years but has turned it around with franchises like Fast and Furious and Despicable Me as well as smaller films.Sony had an amazing 2012 with the return of Bond, Spider-man and MIB plus smaller hits like Hotel Transylvania, 2013 was a crappy year but they will bounce back.

That's not happening; the first one made more in the US than OS, and I don't see it changing this go around. It'll probably do 180M WW, which is terrible for such a huge film from Sony

Why not? The overseas market has changed a lot from 2009 to 2013. Even assuming it's closer to your assumptions, $200m WW on a $80m budget isn't bad at all. It might not be a juggernaut, but it's going to be a really solid money-maker for Sony. (Kids films sell very well and run endlessly on TV).

• Like 2

Why not? The overseas market has changed a lot from 2009 to 2013. Even assuming it's closer to your assumptions, $200m WW on a $80m budget isn't bad at all. It might not be a juggernaut, but it's going to be a really solid money-maker for Sony. (Kids films sell very well and run endlessly on TV).

80M budget without marketing. This is Sony's animated tentpole this year; I bet marketing costs is extremely high. I don't see how it gains much of a profit in theaters

• Like 1

It has no competition here, yet it had a horrible opening...

Cloudy will be opening in many places during local holidays and $35m is great OW for a quiet month, under $20m would have been a horrible opening, this is higher than summer openers like Turbo and Epic.