This is Brad Pitt's track record:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=bradpitt.htm

Outside the three Ocean's movies, He has:

Inglourious Basterds 200M OS

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 206M OS

Mr. & Mrs Smith 291M OS

Troy 391m OS

SE7EN 227M OS

that's 5 big OS hits, not counting this year's WWZ. That's a profile beyond the reach of Bulllock/Clooney.

That's because they do not star in commercial blockbusters with international appeal. The Blind Side was not designed for overseas audiences. There's a reason she's America's sweetheart after all.But listing a bunch of BO statistics does not change the fact that they're huge stars the world over. I can barely believe the bullshit I'm reading here. There is more than just opening weekend numbers. There is status.Depp and Downey Jr. star in high profile billion dollar hits because that's what they do. They don't have Oscars and it doesn't make them more famous or more A-list than Clooney or Bullock. Some of the greatest stars in Hollywood history barely ever had financially successful films in theaters. Small projects and Oscars on the shelf can generate the same status as a Box office draw.Box Office is not the be-all, end-all of determining an actor's status in Hollywood or their fame outside the US. This is ridiculous.

• Like 2

This is Brad Pitt's track record:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=bradpitt.htm

Outside the three Ocean's movies, He has:

Inglourious Basterds 200M OS

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 206M OS

Mr. & Mrs Smith 291M OS

Troy 391m OS

SE7EN 227M OS

that's 5 big OS hits, not counting this year's WWZ. That's a profile beyond the reach of Bulllock/Clooney.

I remember you being one of the persons saying Pitt was shit and WWZ was going to do half of WHD WW.

Clooney and Bullock were never in a movie like WWZ, Basterds or Mr & Mrs Smith.

Edited by CJohn

Bullock and Clooney America-only? That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. Bullock and Clooney are big in the right project. These weird theories by firedeep leave me shocked.

This isn't the type of movie that appeals too much OS. That is the problem.

Gravity is space epic, right kind the movie that OS audience will like. It is just because Bullock is much a bigger draw in US than in foreign countries, so the movie overperforms DOM.

That's because they do not star in commercial blockbusters with international appeal. The Blind Side was not designed for overseas audiences. There's a reason she's America's sweetheart after all.But listing a bunch of BO statistics does not change the fact that they're huge stars the world over. I can barely believe the bullshit I'm reading here. There is more than just opening weekend numbers. There is status.Depp and Downey Jr. star in high profile billion dollar hits because that's what they do. They don't have Oscars and it doesn't make them more famous or more A-list than Clooney or Bullock. Some of the greatest stars in Hollywood history barely ever had financially successful films in theaters. Small projects and Oscars on the shelf can generate the same status as a Box office draw.Box Office is not the be-all, end-all of determining an actor's status in Hollywood or their fame outside the US. This is ridiculous.

Are Clooney and Bullock known? Probably . Are they DRAWS? No
  • Like 2

Gravity is space epic, right kind the movie that OS audience will like. It is just because Bullock is much a bigger draw in US than in foreign countries, so the movie overperforms DOM.

Space epic? WHAT THE FUCK?! Gravity is nothing like that, and it still may pass all of Pitt's movies OS outside of Troy and WWZ.

I remember you being one of the persons saying Pitt was shit and WWZ was going to do half of WHD WW.

I didnt say Pitt was shit though.

Then prove they can do simialr numbers if they were.

No one says Bullock/Clooney are not stars OS, just not as big stars as they are in US. They are definitely not big A-lister/box office draws internationally.  

Are Clooney and Bullock known? Probably . Are they DRAWS? No

right the point

Space epic? WHAT THE FUCK?! Gravity is nothing like that, and it still may pass all of Pitt's movies OS outside of Troy and WWZ.

Yes, space epci, the words are right on THR's headlines for Gravity:

UPDATED: The Sandra Bullock-George Clooney space epic -- fueled by adults -- does huge business in 3D; Justin Timberlake-Ben Affleck poker thriller "Runner Runner" folds with $7.6 million.

So if Gravity pulls 300M OS, Bullock and Clooney are still no draws? Whatever. This logic makes no sense.

maybe it will make Bullock a draw, but still not as big a draw as she is in US. After all her profile is pretty solid for an actress. 

Clooney still has a long way to go.

I think star power is being overrated here, regardless of how well Gravity does. There is so much more to what makes big numbers for a film than the actors, it's not as if Life Of Pi made its 484M on the back of Suraj Sharma's star power...

• Like 3

so are you saying if Clooney starred in this movies, they would have made the same amount?

I don't know why people are so desperate to make it look like Clooney and Bullock are overseas draws.

Outside of Ocean's. Clooney only has two 100m movies. Batman and Robin and The Perfect Storm. Perfect Storm made LESS overseas than it did domestically Hell most people don't even consider Clooney a domestic draw, nobody is crediting Gravity's domestic opening to him, so WTF would he be an overseas draw?

Bullock's only big overseas hit is Speed. Released before she was well known. Her only other 100m grossers Speed 2, Proposal and Miss Congeniality.  Maybe you can argue Bullock is a draw in some countries like UK or Australia but overseas in general?  Give me a break

there are some actors that are draws in certain countries but not everywhere. Denzel Washington is another. 

This is what the facts show. 

Edited by Robert Stack
  • Like 1