A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

I agree that the last (sneak) trailer was the best (and I don't know why it wasn't featured more prominently), but I think we overestimate the allure of a dragon. Again, if you really didn't like AUJ (to the point where you weren't sure if you wanted to bother with DOS), does a dragon really change all that much?

I agree that the last (sneak) trailer was the best (and I don't know why it wasn't featured more prominently), but I think we overestimate the allure of a dragon. Again, if you really didn't like AUJ (to the point where you weren't sure if you wanted to bother with DOS), does a dragon really change all that much?

not sure but I must admit the posters with the dragon and the mountain were more eye catching than the other ones.

not just this one

Posted Image

but also this one

Posted Image

and this one

Posted Image

yet all released only after the movie came out

The best HOBBIT trailer remains the very first teaser promoting the whole project.

yes . I remember when that came out. The hype looked insane. I remember everybody posting it on Facebook.  Then they went seven months without releasing anything.. and then finally released one very bland trailer.

• Like 1

The best HOBBIT trailer remains the very first teaser promoting the whole project.

Nope. The DOS internet trailer kicks its ass so bad it's not even funny. The hype was there because it was the first ever footage from Hobbit. I remember back then thinking "that was lackluster".

• Like 1

Nope. The DOS internet trailer kicks its ass so bad it's not even funny. The hype was there because it was the first ever footage from Hobbit. I remember back then thinking "that was lackluster".

We'll agree to disagree. There's an elegance to that first teaser that, more than anything I've seen since, managed to feel like LOTR.

I liked the first Hobbit's teaser, but I do not think it came close to, for instance, LOTR teaser, which is one of the best trailers I have ever seen. The Misty Mountains song part is great, but I think that the final part is quite average. I agree with Elessar: being a trailer of just one movie, I think the sneak peek trailer of DOS is the best of this trilogy by far.

WIth the first teaser, you mean the one with the Dwarven song? Yeah, that was refreshingly different, beautiful and interesting. I wish more of the actual movies had that much atmosphere and character ...

Yes. The song part was like I had imagined when I read the book.

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug reached an even $600m on the back of a $2.7m session through Warner Bros Pictures International. Germany leads on $87m, the UK on $70m, France on $50.5m, Russia on $45m, Australia on $33.4m and Spain on $23.4m.

• Like 1

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug reached an even $600m on the back of a $2.7m session through Warner Bros Pictures International. Germany leads on $87m, the UK on $70m, France on $50.5m, Russia on $45m, Australia on $33.4m and Spain on $23.4m.

Is at 854m ww. I guess it will be at 865m with the current markets + domestic. Needs 58.5m to go over TT ww from China + Japan. Looks likely.

one thing they could have done was release this trialer in theaters instead of only  online

I just can't get over this trailer. It is totally on par with the amazing LOTR trailers or the Potter trailers. It really makes the movie look like an epic event yet WB didn't release it in theaters. Imagine if this trailer (at least a slightly shortened version of it) played in IMAX in front of Gravity and Catching Fire.

in fact I feel WB marketing for the Hobbit films are very subdued compared to a lot of their other films or other blockbusters in general. Where are the epic trailers? Where is the final trailer tied in with Nokia or some other company lol? Where are the tie ins with various companies? Why is the cast and director not travelling to Japan or China to promote the film there? 

I feel the marketing for the first was bad as well. WB released an excellent trailer a year in advance then went seven months without releasing anything. For some reason not releasing a new trailer with TDKR (wtf WB?). The final trailer was bland as hell, even I who was looking forward to the movie greatly could see that. 

Then they release terrible posters like this

Posted Image

http://impawards.com/2012/hobbit_an_unexpected_journey_ver4.html

a guy holding a sword. Really eye catching design! A big step down from something like this

Posted Image

http://impawards.com/2003/lord_of_the_rings_the_return_of_the_king_ver7.html

and they release this monstrosity

Posted Image

http://impawards.com/2012/hobbit_an_unexpected_journey_ver5.html

I remember seeing this hanging in a theater as a huge banner. Just why?

• Like 2

I feel the marketing for the first was bad as well. WB released an excellent trailer a year in advance then went seven months without releasing anything. For some reason not releasing a new trailer with TDKR (wtf WB?). The final trailer was bland as hell, even I who was looking forward to the movie greatly could see that. 

I remember seeing this hanging in a theater as a huge banner. Just why?

Yeah, even though it opened to 37m on Friday, that's just 5m more than RotK's wed opening, after 3D + 9 years of inflation. Irrespective of the quaility, the opening should have gone higher.

I know it broke the Dec record, but adjusted of inflation it's as big as Narnia, behind RotK, TT and I Am Legend, that too with the 3D boost & RotK, TT opening on wednesdays.

I am quite agree with you. Marketing have been quite weak. For AUJ was awful, IMHO. And for DOS, the trailers have been quite good (specially, the sneak peek trailer, which is on par with LOTR trailers). But if you do not show it attached to big movies, you have nothing. I expect WB reconsiders the strategy for TABA, since trailers will probably be the most spectacular of the trilogy by far.