baumer

Captain Phillips (2013)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just saw this picture. It's truly a fantastic and tense film.Everyone has basically said what I wanted to say. The one thing I do want to highlight though is the characterization. Nearly every character in this film is perfectly written to the point that I could have seen a film about any of them. I could've watched a film about any of the pirates in the lifeboat, I could've seen a film about Phillips' second in command and how he deals with the guilt over giving his captain away, I could've watched a film about the third captain (the one sent to rescue Phillips) and all of the pressure on him, heck the list of great characters in this film just goes on and on.9/10 

• Like 1

Tom Hanks is a god, the first 45 minutes are fucking fantastic, the rest of the movie is great but it looses steam by the end in the life boat. We spend about 70 minutes until Hanks is captured then about 50 in the life boat, I thought pacing wise it would have been better had Hanks only been locked up for the 3rd act. 

B (86)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Tom Hanks is a god, the first 45 minutes are fucking fantastic, the rest of the movie is great but it looses steam by the end in the life boat. We spend about 70 minutes until Hanks is captured then about 50 in the life boat, I thought pacing wise it would have been better had Hanks only been locked up for the 3rd act. 

B (86)

Pretty exactly my thoughts of it. But when you rewatch it the last act is the better of them three: the film is becoming less convulsive but more sad. And a this is (in the end --literally) a sad movie bout... I guess you've already figured it out. But since the movie is so action packed the 90 first minutes I think it's hard for the film nerds to accept that it at heart is a fast moving film in a slow moving mind which circulates around the tragedy of mankind. 

• Like 1