baumer

Captain Phillips (2013)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Just from a techincal standpoint Phillips perfectly constructed, craftsmanlike filmmaking, but in the end it also manages to be an emotional juggernaut. After the absolute hell Phillips and the viewer had gone through for the last two hours, the moment of catharsis that comes in the last ten minutes feels utterly devastating.

• Like 3

I didn't love Greengrass' Bourne movies but thought this was pretty damn good - any conceivable tension was wrung out for all it was worth. The first attempt and second, actual boarding of the ship was very well done.

I didn't know the ins and outs of the operation so had no idea how it would conclude once they were in the lifeboat. I even thought it would end when Hanks jumped out, but there was still 20 minutes left. If he got an acting nom it would be well deserved, it was an understated performance that nonetheless carried the movie.

And yes, the Inception score rip off at the end made me laugh out loud.

Edited by Hatebox

I understand how the film was intense, but since no film can really get me on the edge of my seat (not even Gravity), I wasn't that impressed with that part.

Still, It's a well made film that was a little bit too long. They could've done everything right in just 1 hour and a half, or a tad more, but not 2 hours and 10 minutes. Still, the third act was very slow and was entirely dedicated to humanize the bad guys, thing that didn't really work for me. Yes, they were desperate and stuff, but just by repeating 'It's okay, captain' you won't make me feel for you when you die.

Now, to our man... TOM freaking HANKS. Damn... After they were shot, the entire movie became so brilliant, and that just because we were focusing on Phillips. When he ended up on that ship and he was so shocked, the theme started and I was simply blown away by that man's acting. It worked so well with the music that I actually started crying. One of the few times where I actually cried at a happy ending. Honestly, I'm rooting for Hanks to take the Oscar home now. I still haven't watched 12 Years a Slave (Well I watched a bit of it), but unless the main character (forgive me for I have forgotten his name - and no, it's not because he's black. He has a hard to remember name) pulls off something unbelievably good, Hanks should take it home.

A

• Like 1

I thought it could have been trimmed by 10-15 minutes - and should have lost the Inception music - but it still held my attention even in the more drawn-out moments. In essence this is Greengrass doing what he does best: an amazingly intense and harrowing dramatization of actual events, subtly raising difficult questions of why such events were allowed to happen and what could the consequences be. I wouldn't say it's quite as good as Bloody Sunday and United 93, but it's very close to their level, and a massive improvement over the lackluster Green Zone.

Oh, and I don't even know if Hanks was ever better in anything than in the final 10 minutes of this movie. And the whole performance, wonderfully restrained and almost badass at times, is by far his best work in at least a decade. 

• Like 1

I was really anticipating this movie but as often happens imo it's waay overhyped  :ph34r:

Hanks is great here as is the villain but I dont see it as an awards film or Top 10 material for me

suspenseful thriller action movie but it really didnt stay with me so maybe Im a cold heartless **** :P

B

Its a solid film it drags a bit in the start of the lifeboat chase however the film ends strongly.

About the Somali Pirates, it was quite interesting.

2 people I watched it were glad they all were dead, one said he felt bad for them.

Personally the film does look from their pov which was good however Hanks clearly indicates the morality of the film with the epic line 

"You are no Fishermen" 

That is what I liked about the film the most, is how the film manipulates emotionally about the plight of Captain Phillips and the Pirates.

A-

I have a question when the pirates where shot and he yells at out "Oh GOD!"

Is it because he like "yeah its over" or "oh god the Violence!" 

Anyways Muse got lucky, he had three options..

A. Made it to Somalia and get killed by his boss

B. Seals shoot his head off.

C. Get Captured and sent to an American Jail. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Saw this 2 months ago seems I forgot to review it

Its excellent and gripping and all but it lacks something to make me go ' you HAVE to watch that movie ' when I'm recommending it to someone

Mattmav and me are usually in agreement but I disagree here I thought this was much better than Gravity ... this one had substance

Main Somali pirate was fuckin brilliant and Hanks was naturally great too but his role kinda had him contained till the last 30 minutes ... there was nothing wrong with him or the way it was presented ( I understand he had to play the everyman - something which comes as natural to him as breathing - in order to get that effect in the climax when he just lets it rip )

I'd say its a very strong 8/10