baumer

Captain Phillips (2013)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Typical Greengrass film. Nothing really "wrong" with it, but pacing is too slow and in the end it fails to leave a lasting impression for me. I'm once again left not "getting" the hype for one of his films. Also was expecting more from Hanks after the raves he got. The last half hour is the only part where he had any real acting to do, and even then it's a far cry from his prime stuff. Last half hour is pretty good, though I really don't think I could ever sit through the first 3/4 of the movie again. Still waiting for Greengrass to stop being strictly technical, put down his "how to make a movie" guide, and make me actually feel something in his films for once.  A seriously overrated director, imo.

B-

Edited by MovieMan89

Enjoyed it very much. I thought the pacing was appropriate for the events and the docudrama style worked very well for the film. The last half hour wrung out every bit of tension possible and Hanks' outburst of emotions in the last ten minutes pretty much had me all teary eyed. It was slightly distracting however that Henry Jackman straight up ripped off Time in the last few minutes of the movie.

I'd like to give special mention to the actor who played Bilal, as I actually felt really bad for him by movie's end. The actor who played Muse got a lot of mentions, but there was an aura of sympathy around Bilal that I gravitated towards.

A-.

Pacing issues?  Wow!  I thought this was on par with Gravity with the excellent pace and intensity.  In fact, the last two weekends have given me two of most intense films I've ever seen.  Hanks is a shoe in for a nomination and Greengrass is too.  And don't be surprised if the guy who plays Muse is too.  I thought he was pretty brilliant.  

9.5/10

• Like 3

Holy shit, this was intense. Greengrass was definitely the right guy to make this as his style is well-suited to the chaos and uncertainty that defines this story. I'll echo everyone's praises for Hanks as well as the soon-to-be-regularly-employed actors who played the pirates. The ending was an emotional gutpunch.

A

• Like 3

It's a punch to the gut for sure.  The movie is excellent throughout but the final 10-15 minutes is about as intense a film as I've seen.  Hanks and Abdi are simply awesome throughout.  Hanks made me lose it at the end.  He brought the tears streaming down my cheeks and (this is rare) I didn't even try to stop them once they came.  I felt his shock, his anxiety, his fear, his terror, his emotional roller coaster he went through.  He's just brilliant.

• Like 2

Strong film. I think you could have cut out about 10 minutes of stuff (the whole failed escape scene kinda felt padded in). I second Mr. Pink on the Hans Zimmer riffing music-wise at the end.

Apparently that happened during the operation which I didn't realize. I guess Greengrass felt compelled to include that for authenticity's sake. It did feel a tad long, about 5 minutes or so though. Maybe Wikipedia is failing me, but I don't think there were two hijacking attempts, the pirates got on the ship on the first try, so perhaps they should have done away with that.

That's what makes it so great for me- it STILL managed to be so intense and exciting even though everyone knew what would happen. That's also the highest compliment I paid to Argo, as well. Argo kept me on the edge the whole final scene even though I knew what would happen. It's about the journey, not the destination.

• Like 3

I don't understand how people are saying this was so intense and nail biting when we all knew Phillips lived? I mean I guess unless you don't follow real world events at all, but the story was massive news all over the place when it happened and it only happened 4 years ago.

Because of the way it was directed.  You can know the movie is true and the results and still be riveted.