#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Yeah, but I feel like those scenes are just as bad as what you'll get in 80s classics like Temple of Doom and such.

And I chill with that friend like once every two months when we see a prestige film and talk about in the car (last time was Fruitvale.) She only focuses on characters in film and was like "Both Clooney and Bullock's characters were so dull so it was hard for me to like the movie." I kept insisting Gravity's not necessarily about characters (since she wasn't gonna budge on them being "dull") but about the story and themes, but she just kept on saying it was an okay film, and Prisoners was much better... :unsure:

It's okay, different strokes for different folks. Like you said, she's into character study movies in general, so Prisoners works better for her. It's fun to have dissimilar opinions and lively debates sometimes.

• Like 1

Oh God, I hated Babel.

You and me both. I thought it was a tremendously manipulative film (not in a positive way). The script forced the characters into extremely dubious choices that didn't make sense from a character perspective for the sole purpose of creating a "grand tragedy". I felt insulted watching it, for the most part.
  • Like 3

Amores Perros is pretty great though. The rest of Inarritu's work is eh.

21 Grams is okay but Babel is the Triceratops dung in Jurassic Park.

• Like 3

You and me both. I thought it was a tremendously manipulative film (not in a positive way). The script forced the characters into extremely dubious choices that didn't make sense from a character perspective for the sole purpose of creating a "grand tragedy". I felt insulted watching it, for the most part.

What is a manipulative film in a positive way?

When there are shots of a Mexican band playing the wedding for 15 minutes, the film has officially jumped the shark.

Doesn't Babel have the kid in the desert masturbating to the thought of his sister and the Japanese chick flashing her cookie at some dude?  That film is a mess.

For all the shit The Futurist gives McQueen for making films about misery and suffering I really do think Inarritu is a worse offender. At least when I'm watching one of McQueen's films I understand why it's happening to the characters and it all has a point.

It's almost as bad as Passion of the Christ. God that was an awful movie if I've ever seen one. Not to mention I almost puked at the crucifixion scene.  

Yep. That movie is fucking shit. Honestly, it didn't shock me much, after about 75 minutes of watching Jesus get whipped I just pretty bored by the time they got to the crucifixion.

• Like 2

Doesn't Babel have the kid in the desert masturbating to the thought of his sister and the Japanese chick flashing her cookie at some dude?  That film is a mess.

LMAO, yes. That year on the awards forums, posters made a lot of puns on Rinko Kikuchi's name, considering her role in Babel. Babel's the worst kind of high-minded drivel, a real shame it got a Best Picture nod back when there were only five slots. I mean, I guess if you want to see it to know what it's like, though, knock yourself out.

What kind of Saturday jump is Gravity looking at?

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1