John Marston

X-Men: Days of Future Past OS thread

Can't have 17 main characters can you.

As I have said earlier, in DOFP the main characters got their own big role.

They did it after several movies finally.

I agree that it is difficult to develop as many characters but the main characters weren't developped enough previously and it revolves mainly around Wolverine for the longest time.

TA is more of a team focus than about a central one or duet around which everything always revolved than the depiction of Xmen has ever been until recently.

And as i said, to focus on a team versus one or too main characters requires skills.  You focus on interractions to add depth to the characters and add layers on the personalities of each character, on the dynamic of the group, how they function within that group dynamic.  Then when its done, you can go on and add a richer story on a sequel that will be enriched it with their character developpment developped in the first movie...how they are supposed to act, react, interract whithin a richer deeper storyline.

In that regard, TA is the best, richest origin movie of a team from any comic book movie.  It has succeeded in seting layers and showing personalities and how the group is formed and act coherently with different characters, different tempers, different personalities with different backgrounds and experience, ect...

Edited by Ent

I hate to get drawn into an Avengers vs Dofp argue meant. They're both great movies, but the avengers and the dark knight are standards for me. The best comic book movies. Dofp is up there though. I'm finding it harder to do top 5 lists bc all the great comic book movies coming out. Ca and Dofp are both up there! Both A movies! I really liked Xmen First Class too. At this point. Probably goes something like this. Won't include The incredibles.1. The dark knight2. The avengers3. Spider-Man 24. X men: Dofp5. Captain America: winter soldier6. Iron man7. X men first class8. Batman begins9. X men 210. Superman(1978)

• Like 2

I think Batman Begins, DOFP, Spiderman 1, and Iron man 1 are the best comic book movies. A better Watchmen film might have had the potential to be a contender, but it is extremely difficult to pull that one off. Snyder did a really admirable job, but the film still had many flaws.

500 is not happening, but still awesome. It has a good chance of taking the #1 spot from Cap 2 and holding it for a bit before the TF4 behemoth rolls over it, as that has a mid-July release in a lot of markets.

Edited by reddevil18

500 is not happening, but still awesome. It has a good chance of taking the #1 spot from Cap 2 and holding it for a bit before the TF4 behemoth rolls over it, as that has a mid-July release in a lot of markets.

Great number. Its going to be close but i guess TF4 will make it tough to get there

Nope, not really. They're both great. I enjoy both, but DOFP can't match the spectacle of The Avengers.

The avengers was a ballsy project, and had a lot more riding on it then Dofp ever did. X men was a great movie, but in terms of spectacle, fun, heart, and creativity. The avengers blows it away. There had never been a film like The Avengers.

The writing and the performances in DoFP is just simply better than The Avengers, much better.  Spectacle doesn't mean anything without that.  Look at Man of Steel, it had even more mayhem and spectacle than The Avengers and that didn't keep it from being such a lifeless movie. Also, with DoFP, it was really nice not seeing the same tired visuals of a giant action scene in/over an entire city in the 3rd act of a huge superhero movie.... the perfectly paced rotating back and forth between 1973 and the future during the 3rd act of DOFP was way more thrilling than that tired cliche.  Also, another thing that separates DoFP from The Avengers is that its got dramatic heft to it, The Avengers is basically just a comedy.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 8

The writing and the performances in DoFP is just simply better than The Avengers, much better.  Spectacle doesn't mean anything without that.  Look at Man of Steel, it had even more mayhem and spectacle than The Avengers and that didn't keep it from being such a lifeless movie. Also, with DoFP, it was really nice not seeing the same tired visuals of a giant action scene in/over an entire city in the 3rd act of a huge superhero movie.... the perfectly paced rotating back and forth between 1973 and the future during the 3rd act of DOFP was way more thrilling than that tired cliche.

Yep, the editing in the whole movie is wonderful in DOFP. Ottman deserves huge kudos for that - he kept the movie together well (I have one small complaint about the breakout scene - the cutting between the elevator and Xavier/Wolverine shots needed realignment, switching them up a bit for better flow), but that third act is superb work.

• Like 3