Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

This is still only a teaser. Trailer should show more. Simon Pegg wrote the story.

If anything the fact that pegg had a hand in the writing gives me hope it's aiming for that dumb, fun b-movie vibe I was talking about earlier. he gets it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

This is still only a teaser. Trailer should show more. Simon Pegg wrote the story.

So no more magic blood? I feel like I should be sad about that somehow.

9 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

The storytelling is complete. It doesn't have the most logical story, sure, but it's entertaining as heck, has great action sequences, and it does have some pretty good arcs/moments from the characters. But it does tell a complete story. You don't have to like it but there is a beginning (Khan attacks the Federation), a middle (Khan gets captured, Kirk finds out the truth, the Vengeance attacks, they infiltrate the Vengeance with Khan), and an end (Khan betrays them, the Enterprise is damaged, Kirk saves the Enterprise by sacrificing his life, Spock goes after Khan and beats him to submission, takes Khan's blood which was previously established as having miracle healing properties, and uses it to save Kirk).

Incomplete storytelling would imply there's no Act Three or the end of Act Three (which is Kirk is made captain again and they get the five-year mission). Nice try.

What about unresolved? They hint at a Klingon war conflict, but aside from one little battle, that merely ends up as a talking point. Then they freeze Khan again as if to hint at a return that may not happen.

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

So no more magic blood? I feel like I should be sad about that somehow.

It really is amazing how many 2013/2014 blockbusters were centered on magic blood. Literally half of them

• Like 2

Just now, Chewy said:

It really is amazing how many 2013/2014 blockbusters were centered on magic blood. Literally half of them

Mad Max : Fury Road.

Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

Magic Blood is kewl at people's convenience.

:ohmyzod:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

If anything the fact that pegg had a hand in the writing gives me hope it's aiming for that dumb, fun b-movie vibe I was talking about earlier. he gets it.

For a comedy with dumb moments, The World's End was actually smartly written.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

And of those, I legit enjoyed half of them. It wasn't the plot device so much as it was how it was utilized.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Mad Max : Fury Road.

Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

Magic Blood is kewl at people's convenience.

:ohmyzod:

Zod's magic blood as the focal point of BvS :wub:

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

What about unresolved? They hint at a Klingon war conflict, but aside from one little battle, that merely ends up as a talking point. Then they freeze Khan again as if to hint at a return that may not happen.

Have you ever seen TOS? They were always on the verge of conflict with the Klingons and they had small skirmshes here and there. That fits the period of time that the current Star Trek movies are set in. In the movie, they avert the war by not firing the torpedoes (them not being in starfleet uniforms and the klingons never finding the Enterprise gives them plausible deniability for what happened on the surface) but the Klingon War threat is still there. That's...actually a smart move.

In TOS, they stranded Khan and his people on an abandoned planet. The idea was that they would build a colony. They had no intentions of bringing him back in a future episode and the idea of them making movies wasn't in their head. I guess that episode is incomplete then and sucks for daring to have such an ending. Yes, Khan might never return to a future Star Trek movie. But the possibility is there. So what?

Just because you don't resolve every single thing in a movie that's a part of a franchise doesn't make it a bad movie. The Klingon Empire potentially going to war with them was meant to increase the stakes but not what STID was about. Them freezing Khan makes sense since despite the Admiral who had gone rogue wanting to finish him, the Federation doesn't have the death penalty and they might have doubted their ability to contain him in prison.

So basically STID was actually honoring lore. And yet you attack the movie for it. Yes, STID is a part of a franchise. No, it can't resolve every tiny little thing. But guess what? Every franchise movie does this. And even if it's not a part of a franchise, it's key to leave tiny things unresolved to make the world feel more real and alive. But especially in Star Trek, the Khan ending fits the franchise perfectly and the Klingon War threat remaining fits the time period.

• Like 3

The problem with Abrams is that while he's great at making the action fun, he's super serious about his references. And nostalgia never becomes more annoying than when it's being beaten over my head.

Lin's equally great at making the action fun (perhaps better, actually). And this has a more playful feel to it. I get a bit of a sense of Star Trek VI along with the TOS.

Also, this seems to have significantly less lens flare. That alone makes it an improvement over the previous efforts.

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Zod's magic blood as the focal point of BvS :wub:

LOL, really? Kurtzman and Orci's school of writing is going strong. 

Maybe General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross will dig up a vial of Banner's blood somewhere to become Red Hulk in CW. Gotta balance the playing field somehow.

• Like 3

I was never a huge fan of Star Trek and i don't know much about it but the last 2 films were pretty enjoyable to me. This one looks lighter but more fun. So i'm ok with it.

And i didn't mind Sabotage. I love that song so much that i don't care in whatever trailer they place it! :)

• Like 1