grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

I think we've hit a point where the domestic gross is becoming rapidly irrelevant in a still growing global marketplace. Foreign totals for Thor obviously make it a massive success compared to just a success from its domestic opening.

It remains the biggest market compared to other countries' grosses so in that regard, it is still important.

The moment a major tentpole film starts pulling in bigger numbers in, say, China alone compared to its domestic earnings is the moment it has truly become irrelevant. But for now, I think it still matters.

• Founder / Operator

How can domestic be irrelevant if it is still the biggest market in the world and studios receive the most money of domestic gross as compared to international

Excellent point. That's exactly what will keep domestic grosses very relevant for the foreseeable future, regardless of how big the overseas market is. And eventually, those markets are going to hit a ceiling.

• Like 1

It remains the biggest market compared to other countries' grosses so in that regard, it is still important. The moment a major tentpole film starts pulling in bigger numbers in, say, China alone compared to its domestic earnings is the moment it has truly become irrelevant. But for now, I think it still matters.

It does to a point, the bigger movies no longer need the US to launch franchises. They are a part not THE part that matters in the foreign finish.

So can some dissect that $31.5M number? Is 80M still in play? I see half of yall panicking and the other half just chillin

So, the Friday number is 31.6M including 7.1M midnights. Which means that the "True" Friday number is 24.5M

Now, let's assume Thor plays like a family movie i.e. gets a multiplier of 3 from the true Friday, it will be at 73.5M, add in the 7.1M, and the weekend becomes 80.6M.

Or, if we follow Skyfall from last year, Skyfall had a 23% increase on Saturday from the true Friday and fell 30% on Sunday. If Thor follows that, we get: 30M Saturday, and 21M Sunday which adds up to 82M.

If it follows IM3, then we get, 78M.

If it follows Thor, then we get 79M.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1