grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

• Founder / Operator

Christmas was good to Mission: Impossible. Thinking Paramount may want to keep it there.

Very true. I just can't think of where they'll put it. Christmas is booked through 2018 (assuming Cameron sticks with his current plan).

I would imagine Inferno would have been shot summer 2014 for the previous December 18th release date, its possible that they simply move back a week to December 11th or December 23rd but I think either Summer 2015 or Spring 2016.

I think either Dec 25, 2015 or May '16. March '16 could work if they figure they could earn more money in a less competitive environment. Angels & Demons didn't fare as well as they'd hoped in May '09.

Very true. I just can't think of where they'll put it. Christmas is booked through 2018 (assuming Cameron sticks with his current plan).

I think Spring or Summer 2015, they're filming next year so Paramount must be aiming for a 2015 release.

I think either Dec 25, 2015 or May '16. March '16 could work if they figure they could earn more money in a less competitive environment. Angels & Demons didn't fare as well as they'd hoped in May '09.

Angels and Demons was never going to be as big as DaVinci Code simply because the book isn't as known whereas Inferno was a top seller, its interesting that they skipped The Lost Symbol but they were developing it. March 2016 only has animated films scheduled so far but I think if Warcraft moves to Spring 2016 then I think it'll either move to Summer or stay in December and just delay it by a week.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

March 20 or April 3, 2015 could both work. So could early October if they're feeling adventurous enough. (Another huge, attention-grabbing set-piece or two shot in IMAX would really help as well). I don't really think there's a good spot left for it during Summer '15 unless Paramount decides to push Monster Trucks or Terminator 5 to a different part of the year.

March 20 or April 3, 2015 could both work. So could early October if they're feeling adventurous enough. (Another huge, attention-grabbing set-piece or two shot in IMAX would really help as well). I don't really think there's a good spot left for it during Summer '15 unless Paramount decides to push Monster Trucks or Terminator 5 to a different part of the year.

I think they'll more likely move Monster Trucks as Mission Impossible is a proven franchise. Spring is more likely than October, no way will Paramount put a $150m tentpole in October. 

• Founder / Operator

I'm definitely betting on a May 2015 release. Better to open three weeks after Avengers in summer than one week after Star Wars at Christmas.

Not to mention that Disney will fight to keep IMAX longer than one week for SW, a format Paramount won't want to lose for MI5.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

I'm definitely betting on a May 2015 release. Better to open three weeks after Avengers in summer than one week after Star Wars at Christmas.

Not to mention that Disney will fight to keep IMAX longer than one week for SW, a format Paramount won't want to lose for MI5.

I agree, MIB3 opened well considering it was coming out a less well received previous film ten years previous so Mission Impossible 5 coming off the well received previous film and only 3 and a half years later should do better business on Memorial Day 2015.

Bourne 5 might also release in 2015. I wonder if Renner is planning to be in all three of these movies. (Avengers, Bourne, MI) 

Think Bourne will likely be August 2015 like the previous film.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

I agree, MIB3 opened well considering it was coming out a less well received previous film ten years previous so Mission Impossible 5 coming off the well received previous film and only 3 and a half years later should do better business on Memorial Day 2015.

Think Bourne will likely be August 2015 like the previous film.

yeah so since Renner will likely be in Avengers and Bourne I can't see him reprising his role in Mission Impossible

Aw, I'm late, just caught up on the numbers. That's a bit disappointing for TDW, I was hoping it could push past 90M after yesterday's first estimate. 

Still couldn't find time to watch it yet  :(

• Founder / Operator

Lack of competition will definitely help, but I'm assuming Sunday will be a bit inflated due to Veterans' Day (whereas IM3 didn't have an inflated 1st Sunday and dropped over 58% next wknd).

• Like 1