baumer

Nebraska (2013)

12 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

One of the better films of a fantastic year. Quoting myself from the Best Actor thread 

I loved Nebraska. Incredibly touching movie. Still think Election is Payne's best, but if we're talking his comic dramas, Nebraska is definitely on the level of About Schmidt and Sideways (I still haven't seen The Descendants), in some ways it's even better due to B&W cinematography and no Hollywood charisma (which Nicholson couldn't entirely hide no matter how hard he tried) - it feels more lived-in and intimate. Just a wonderful old-fashioned drama/comedy that has a lot to say about old age, mortality and missed opportunities without explicitly stating it.

Really enjoyed this. More low-key than The Descendants but compensates with a multi-layered yet all-around satisfying story with a boatload of three-dimensional characters. Dern and Squibb's interplay reminds me all too much of my own grandparents. Good theme tune, as well.

A-

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I thought it was good. Maybe my least favorite of the best picture nominees I've seen (though I think about half of the films are all closely grouped together, American Hustle, Captain Phillips, 12 Years, and this), but I found it to be a really fascinating look at relatively rural life. I also grew up in Nebraska, so when they hit Lincoln, they showed a Walgreens and Subway which I used to go to all the time while I was visiting my brother in college. Kinda made me feel a bit emotional thinking about my younger life there.

Also, while Bruce Dern was amusing, and perhaps most importantly for the role, odd and ornery, I thought June Squibb was the highlight of the film. B/B+

Charming movie and enjoyable. Nebraska hits all the right notes thanks to good acting and screenplay. Bruce Dern and June Squibb are Oscar worthy.The only thing wrong with movie it fail to go in the area of greatness. I think this is a movie that has something for everyone it. It was also nice to see were Saul Goodman got started. 

B+ 

It's not easy to be caring and affectionate with someone who brings a lot of trouble to your life and it's even harder to realize that sometimes we have to sacrifice ourselves for our loved ones. Nebraska is a heartwarming movie that manages to show us that, it's a story of a guy who dedicated himself to help his old grumpy almost senile father, who just needed some compassion from his uncooperative family. Plus, the rural life of all these old folks is beautifully depicted by the black and white cinematography, sometimes a bit melancholic, but still beautiful.

8.5/10

Simply a damn good film.

Let's face it, nobody does dramedy quite like Alexander Payne.  Dude is simply a master at finding the perfect balance of hilarity and genuine drama.  This quiet and personal film is a return to form for Payne after the mediocore Descendants release a couple years ago.

I was surprised at how funny the film was.  Let's be clear, this is the funniest movie of 2013.  For me, there's nothing funnier than situational comedy so this was right up my alley.  Just how funny is the Mom here?  Talking about all these men wanting to get into her "bloomers" and such.

In the end it is the small details that make this film great.  The nuances at play here are so well-defined and every character feels genuine.  It's one of those rare films that succeeds in unabashedly wearing its heart on its sleeve.

One of the most enjoyable films of 2013.
  • Like 1