lilmac

What was the first global blockbuster?

You people are either ignorant, or straight up dumbasses. Lion King? Batman? Star Wars? By you're logic Madonna and Prince are bigger than Elvis and The Beatles.

Other have mentioned GWTW, The Golden Age epics (Ben Hur, Dr. Zhivago, etc.), Sound of Music, but no one has mentioned the 2 most obvious choices; Charlie Chaplin and Disney.

• Like 1

You people are either ignorant, or straight up dumbasses. Lion King? Batman? Star Wars? By you're logic Madonna and Prince are bigger than Elvis and The Beatles.

Other have mentioned GWTW, The Golden Age epics (Ben Hur, Dr. Zhivago, etc.), Sound of Music, but no one has mentioned the 2 most obvious choices; Charlie Chaplin and Disney.

Off topic, but outside of the US and UK Madonna's sales and chart histories blow Elvis' out of the water. As do MJ's. (The Beatles trounce everyone everywhere of course.) The big 4 recoding acts of all time globally are The Beatles, MJ, Madonna and Elvis.

• Like 1

How can I forget Ben Hur.  Was GWTW a global, worldwide hit???

But neither of them did even more internationally than domestically like JP did.

But that doesn't mean that on a global scale a film wasn't huge, just because it made less internationally than it did domestically.  ET made 350 upon its first release and then another 350 internationally, in 1982.  If 350 adjusts to over a billion domestically, then it had to of made close to that amount internationally.

• Like 1

But that doesn't mean that on a global scale a film wasn't huge, just because it made less internationally than it did domestically.  ET made 350 upon its first release and then another 350 internationally, in 1982.  If 350 adjusts to over a billion domestically, then it had to of made close to that amount internationally.

Indeed. The fact that a movie makes more DOM than OS does not imply that movie is not a global blockbuster. Spider-man, Shrek 2, The Dark Knight did similar amounts DOM than OS, or even DOM was higher than OS, and I do not think someone can deny those movies were global blockbusters. In order to OS numbers can be greater you need developed markets and it is not the same to be in 1977 than in 1993. Many countries had a huge inflation in that period.

Said this, I consider Star Wars the first global blockbuster and Jaws, the first in US.

Indeed. The fact that a movie makes more DOM than OS does not imply that movie is not a global blockbuster. Spider-man, Shrek 2, The Dark Knight did similar amounts DOM than OS, or even DOM was higher than OS, and I do not think someone can deny those movies were global blockbusters. In order to OS numbers can be greater you need developed markets and it is not the same to be in 1977 than in 1993. Many countries had a huge inflation in that period.

Said this, I consider Star Wars the first global blockbuster and Jaws, the first in US.

Jaws did great OS.

I say it is either GTTW or some one that came out before GTTW.

Jaws did great OS.

I say it is either GTTW or some one that came out before GTTW.

You are right. I have been looking at some numbers that Jaws did OS and were quite impressive (in Spain, for instance, it ranks 18th all time adjusted). I did not remember a so big OS number. So, yes, I change to Jaws as the first global blockbuster (if we talk about blockbuster as we know today). GWTW and Snow White were both enormous, but the behaviour of the market was very different. I consider them different "monsters".

Edited by peludo

You are right. I have been looking at some numbers that Jaws did OS and were quite impressive (in Spain, for instance, it ranks 18th all time adjusted). I did not remember a so big OS number. So, yes, I change to Jaws as the first global blockbuster (if we talk about blockbuster as we know today). GWTW and Snow White were both enormous, but the behaviour of the market was very different. I consider them a different "monsters".

How about:  JAWS = the first modern global blockbuster

Jaws is the first global blockbuster since Hollywood entered the New Hollywood time. Godfather doesnt count.

But back to the Golden Age, there were blockbusters too.

How about:  JAWS = the first modern global blockbuster

Jaws is the first global blockbuster since Hollywood entered the New Hollywood time. Godfather doesnt count.

But back to the Golden Age, there were blockbusters too.

Yes, that is what I wanted to differentiate.

If we talk about massive movies at the box office, independently of the year, then I would say that Snow White was the first movie being huge in many markets.