Films

Weekend estimates:Thor 2 $38.4m, TBMH $30.6m

You know that major Oscar nominees get theater expansions post-nominations all the time, right? 12YAS is going to be steadily earning money up until early March. I don't see any way for it to miss $50m, and over $60m is a real possibility. 

Maybe, but I still don't see 60 million.

12 Years A Slave will just keep dropping and dropping methinks.

Edited by Fancyarcher

That's not the point. There is no "basic" sequel effect.

Yup. Into Darkness made that case this summer. The fact that Thor 2 increased shows that Avengers helped retain interest, if not increase it, for the Asgardian franchise. The X-Franchise OTOH wishes it had the same interest as its X2/X3/Origins heydays.

• Like 1

There are some in Chicago, and I live about an hour from it. IDK how bad the storm will be when it reaches my area though.

Best of luck, Blankments! I'm watching the Ravens-Bears game and its in a storm delay right now.  :o The NFL plays in all weather except tornadoes and hurricanes so this is extraordinary. My year in Chicagoland taught me that storms like that are nothing to play with. Stay safe!

THIS. It's not set in stone that sequels increase. SM2, HP2, IM2, AotC, Kung Fu Panda 2, Tokyo Drift, Expendables 2, Cars 2, Scooby Doo 2, Smurfs 2, Percy Jackson 2, INTO DARKNESS etc. etc. all say hi. The very fact that Thor 2 increased despite Thor making a decent amount shows there was Avengers/Loki effect at play, although not as much as some of us thought.

Also, the very fact that it increased despite less 3D share than its predecessor...

• Like 4

Yup. Into Darkness made that case this summer. The fact that Thor 2 increased shows that Avengers helped retain interest, if not increase it, for the Asgardian franchise. The X-Franchise OTOH wishes it had the same interest as its X2/X3/Origins heydays.

Hey! X films are coming back dude! :angry:

Blankments, who's the character in your avatar and what's he from?

He's Verrick from the current season of The Legend of Korra. It's not as great a show as it could be considering A:TLA, but I really enjoy his character. He's a fun guy! (Also, before people go off-topic and talk about Korra, I'm behind five episodes unfortunately :lol: )

Good luck to you.

Best of luck, Blankments! I'm watching the Ravens-Bears game and its in a storm delay right now.  :o The NFL plays in all weather except tornadoes and hurricanes so this is extraordinary. My year in Chicagoland taught me that storms like that are nothing to play with. Stay safe!

Thanks to both of you! I'm watching the Game too, and I know that it's really unusual for the cancellation, and I'm surprised tbh. I've seen a movie in really bad weather before (NYSM earlier this year was the most recent,) but I'm hoping it doesn't get too bad. Thanks though. :)

• Like 1

Fleming is doing a piss-poor job with box office at Deadline. How can he be even worse than Nikki was? At one point he seemed to think that TBMH was a lock for mid-30s and would challenge Thor. Now he's down to pulling for $31M. That's what he gets for regurgitating Harvey's numbers.  :lol:

TBMH is yet another "urban" comedy that Hollywood overlooked. Films like that are exceedingly popular because they cater to an underserved market, not to mention being very well-made. Comedies also do better than dramas overall, so no digs at Black audiences for favoring TBMH over 12YAS are warranted. And the former has higher market saturation, received better promotion, is a sequel to another hit film and stars actors more familiar to American viewers. Were TBMH's numbers for a comedy starring Seth Rogan and Judd Apatow's wife no one would bat an eyelash, but for an "urban" comedy it's a surprise.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Yes, Thor has increased from the first, but based on expectations on different websites (BOM, Coming Soon, BOP, Boxoffice.com) and many others, it will end lower domestic than expected. Worldwide will keep it in the 600-650 range and definitely help overall.

But let's be honest, if "Man of Steel" had opened to 85M and had been at less than 150M after 10 days, the number of "What went wrong?" threads that the mods would have had to close would have been crazy. BKB himself would have opened 10 of them.

• Like 5