grim22

Monday Numbers 11/18/2013: BMH 2.4M, Thor TDW 2.2M

R.I.P. Thor Dark World :(

Yeah. But look at the bright side E. Marvel needs to up their game. They know they cant just throw anything down our throats. This was just mediocre and legs will show it

Yeah. But look at the bright side E.Marvel needs to up their game. They know they cant just throw anything down our throats.This was just mediocre and legs will show it

I like the first Thor better.

The first movie had:

Better story

Better music

Better personal story for Thor

Better villain with Loki compared to the poorly developed Malekith

Hopkins wasn't sleepwalking though his role in the original

Sunny New Mexico was a better setting than gray London for me

Less Darcy

The humor wasn't too much.

The only thing the sequel did better was the action and that is not as important to me as the story or characters.

• Like 1

I like the first Thor better.

The first movie had:

Better story

Better music

Better personal story for Thor

Better villain with Loki compared to the poorly developed Malekith

Hopkins wasn't sleepwalking though his role in the original

Sunny New Mexico was a better setting than gray London for me

Less Darcy

The humor wasn't too much.

The only thing the sequel did better was the action and that is not as important to me as the story or characters.

I agree with this. What makes it worse is that apparently Malekith was actually well developed initially but everything got left on the cutting room floor

These scenes that didn’t make it into the film, I hope we see them on the DVD at some point. It sounds like it wasn’t more action, it sounds like it was character-building.

There was a scene where Malekith was in a certain area of Svartalfheim and remembering his children, his wife and children bathing there, and they had been lost to him. And some of the actions of Odin’s father, Bor, also. There was an extended scene with Anthony Hopkins where they discussed what had caused this ancient grievance between The Dark Elves and themselves. That kind of material. More character-related, yeah. 

I’m actually kind of disappointed that didn’t make the cut. That sounds like it would have given you more of a connection to Odin.

Yeah, yeah. I would think it’s probably for complex reasons to do with Odin and Frigga’s relationship, I think. And the implications of possibly making Odin more brutal.

The only "serious" moment which the movie let breathe was the 

funeral

. But even there it cut to a joke right after. 

Why not, it's still going to make 200m/500m+ WW.

Because the potential was so much bigger. They will never in puplic but i think they are sligthly disapointed with the domestic gross. IMO this could have been a potential 100/300 mill. But its just not good enough

They frenzied overreaction to TDW's Monday number is a bit funny. Last week already set the tone, it's a weekend film.

The eagerness by some to write it off cause that's what they wanted 6months ago, to fulfill their own prophecy is hilarious.

It's doing $200m+ which is what it needed. 

The fact that this site has plenty of people who don't know how to set reasonable expectations and thus falsely give haters perceived reasons to say "see, see, look what some wanted...this is horrible" does not in fact make it so that TDW is doing, will do poorly. 

Cause it's not doing poorly.

How many Cars 2 and STiD examples do we need? Come on now people, get it together in these talks. Know what the extremes are, cut those off at both ends and then look at the bell curve. 

• Like 4

So today in film theory, I finally snapped and told the class why they were stupid for predicting BMH at only 9M; it has an African-American ensemble cast and African-American movies nearly always do well at the box office thanks them being underserved in Hollywood. I was then promptly called a racist despite the fact that I cited data... <_< I hate that class.

• Like 5

So today in film theory, I finally snapped and told the class why they were stupid for predicting BMH at only 9M; it has an African-American ensemble cast and African-American movies nearly always do well at the box office thanks them being underserved in Hollywood. I was then promptly called a racist despite the fact that I cited data... <_< I hate that class.

The "you are a racist" card seems to be getting pulled a lot for BMH's box office. Ray Subers has a lot of people accusing him of the same due to his 20M OW prediction. The guy has tried defending himself a lot already on Twitter.

The "you are a racist" card seems to be getting pulled a lot for BMH's box office. Ray Subers has a lot of people accusing him of the same due to his 20M OW prediction. The guy has tried defending himself a lot already on Twitter.

Ray should have known a tweet worded like that would provoke some reaction.

Against white people for saying they were stupid?

• Like 3

Should have called them racist for underballing Morris Chestnut.

Identity Thief and now BMH. He can't be stopped

• Like 1

Yeah. But look at the bright side E.Marvel needs to up their game. They know they cant just throw anything down our throats.This was just mediocre and legs will show it

I don't know. I liked it. No it wasn't Avengers level and it was kind of stupid and cheesy and the script was a bit of a mess, but the characters were engaging and the actions scenes were fantastic. Sure there's room for improvement but most SH movies can.

Ray should have known a tweet worded like that would provoke some reaction.

The tweet in question:

Posted Image

I agree that it could be worded differently. He should have made it clearer by saying "targeting the same audience" or something.

• Like 1