Dementeleus

Nov 22-24 #s CF: $158,074,286 actual | Dark Knight triumphant after all

I am aware of that, but what I am saying is that comparing them in only dollars paints a misleading picture.  50M in 2007 is not the same as 50M in 2013. Well, the whole idea was to not include the midnights/previews.  To say that there was a Saturday drop is wrong, as there wasn't technically a drop from Friday business.  There was a drop from Thursday + Friday business, which is an entirely different thing.  By definition then, to say that the Saturday "drop" is the same is also incorrect. What can be said is that the 8PM previews allow for more spread out business.  This seems logical, as what else would you expect by adding on 4 extra hours to the weekend?  The natural expectation is that business will be more spread out, particularly between Thursday and Friday.  So then a slight increase in overall weekend demand (which was displayed by the 2.7% attendance increase) would explain a larger Saturday than THG.  That would then lead to a similar "drop" on Saturday from Thursday + Friday.

That's what I thought you were saying. And I understand what you mean.
  • Like 1

I don't understand why previews are deflating Friday though.  If anything, they're more convenient and should inflate Friday, leading to a bigger Saturday drop but we've been seeing the opposite.

If they're more convenient, then why would the inflate Friday?

To be clear, I'm talking about actual Friday business (the 45M CF made on Friday), not Opening Day business (70.9M).  More convenient shows on Thursday evening would mean some Friday evening demand can be burned off early.

• Like 1

That's what I thought you were saying. And I understand what you mean.

Cool.  Just to be clear again (as I think Iceroll showed some confusion on this, though I may be mistaken), when I am referring to Friday, I'm talking about actual Friday business, exclusive of preview/midnight business.  So for CF that would be the ~45M, not the 70.9M (which includes business from what is technically Thursday).