lilmac

Weekend estimates: CF-$74.5; FRZ-$66.7; Thor2-$11.1

As of 1:16a.m. eastern time

Catching Fire - 16 Sellouts in Seattle, WA

Frozen - 15 Sellouts in Seattle, WA

BJ's sellout reports make it seem like election day with Queen Katniss and Queen Elsa running a thrilling neck-in-neck presidential race. Which queen will come out ahead for Friday and the weekend? Doesn't matter as it is the biggest win-win situation ever!  :bop:

• Like 5

But Ron and Hermione bickered all the time, that was supposed to be the tip-off that they were truly meant to be! :rolleyes: I can't say Rowling didn't leave clues about where the ships were headed, but for me, the main pairings are the least interesting option done in the least interesting way. When there's the attitude that they're too young, the romance has to be "lighthearted" and not "too gritty", well, okay, but you've kind of shaped the audience's thinking to discount romance as being really important to the story. So when that card is pulled with Snape in the end, and you want to say, this is the reason for everything, you have fans who were mad and couldn't deal with a Potter book using that angle, because they were trained to think that HP wasn't that kind of story.

It honestly would have been fine if she left romance out, although that would be unrealistic in any story involving teenagers. I personally liked Snape's backstory though, he was the best character in the books.Honestly it was nearly Snape's story more than it was Harry's. Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Except, of course, he was named Neville.

There are cool people with the name Neville....like Timothy Dalton in the Rocketeer and Aaron Neville.

I don't knooooooooow much. But I know that I love you....

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

It honestly would have been fine if she left romance out, although that would be unrealistic in any story involving teenagers. I personally liked Snape's backstory though, he was the best character in the books.

Yeesh, I don't know. Rowling telegraphed that turn so goddamn hard it was hitting you upside the head way back in Book 1.
  • Like 1

But Ron and Hermione bickered all the time, that was supposed to be the tip-off that they were truly meant to be!  :rolleyes:  I can't say Rowling didn't leave clues about where the ships were headed from the start, but for me, the main pairings are the least interesting option done in the least interesting way.

When there's the attitude that they're too young, the romance has to be "lighthearted" and not "too gritty", well, okay, but you've kind of shaped the audience's thinking to discount romance as being really important to the story. So when that card is pulled with Snape in the end, and you want to say, this is the reason for everything he did, you had fans who were mad and couldn't deal with a Potter book using that angle, because they were trained to think that HP wasn't that kind of story. So I kind of wish Rowling had gone for it a bit more with the romance, not been scared to make it a little less innocent. I mean, I don't even like Ron and Hermione together, but when they were camping for months and had no adult supervision, they never got around to kissing for all that time because...? IRL, come on, Harry would've walked in on them about to screw at least once.

Ron and Hermione were pretty clear from GoF for me at least. It was Harry and Ginny that was the biggest WTF?

Yeesh, I don't know. Rowling telegraphed that turn so goddamn hard it was hitting you upside the head way back in Book 1.

Yeah, what were the odds that he was really going to be a bad guy after all? Also, I guessed the twist for the real reason he and James hated each other so much after Sorcerer's Stone, Azkaban sealed it for me. It was so obvious what the death was going to be in Book Six, because that type of character always dies at that point in a story, but you also knew that Snape was still going to turn out to be a "good" guy. Did people really think Book Seven was going to be all about how Snape was really evil the whole time and pulled the wool over Dumbledore's eyes? So the last two books were kind of lacking suspense for me on that front.

I preferred the idea of Ginny really moving on to the whole "she just said she moved on but was really holding out for him to notice her once she got hot" angle. The Ginny build-up started in OotP when she started talking around him and was the secret Quidditch star and she caught the Snitch under Cho's nose and Ron was trying to push them together at the end when he heard she was dating Dean. What Ron wants, Ron gets, because what is Harry Potter all about but making the Weasleys the heart of everything? :rolleyes:

I think maybe the triangle in The Hunger Games is so dry because Katniss isn't the most sentimental character and they're all struggling in a dystopian universe. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1