baumer

Saving Mr. Banks (2013)

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A beautiful magical film and Emma Thompson arguably gives the performance of the year. Disney work their magic yet again. Giamanti, Wilson and hanks were other standouts and all the actors I have mentioned should be nominated for acting oscars. A

Glad you liked it. So I take it you are in the UK somewhere? That's the only place it is released thus far.

Yep, uk. Saw it opening day. Hopefully it does well in America/Canada and the rest of the world Edited by HairsprayFilmsCatchingFire
  • Like 1

Pretty much agree with the general consensus so far. It's a very enjoyable movie. Emma Thompson was fantastic. I would be happy if she pull out a win, though it's not likely. Hanks was great also.

It's a bit cheesy at times, but deliver well emotionally. Seems like a perfect movie, fitting for Christmas season cause the it gave you fluffy feelings (if that makes sense, lol)

A from me. 

Fantastic movie and I give it an A

As a Disney freak and big Mary Poppins fan I was real interested to get more detail on how the movie came about.  

While I knew a bit about Travers I did not know she had such a hard childhood.

The movie was very emotional with the flashbacks.

Hanks and Emma were fantastic.... I hope they win awards for this.

I have read the books and saw the stage play.  

In the stage play Banks was cruel... borderline abusive.  The books.... not much better.  In the movie he is more neglectful.

Now I understand why.

However  Disney did provide a more happy ending then what really happened.

Travers did cry during the premier.  But it was because she was unable to stop the animation from being in the film... not from receiving closer as the movie suggests. . 

Not feeling sorry for her... she received 5%.

Still a great movie.

I really enjoyed it as well.  I just don't quite understand why she was such a bitch.  Thompson was one dimensional for 90% of the film and nothing that is shown in her flashbacks excuses her from being a completely nasty and insulting woman.  She had nothing good to say to anyone and nothing she saw, smelled, heard or read seemed to be to her liking.  What a horribly unlikable woman.

The film itself is enjoyable and while this is not Hanks' best performance the monologue he has about having to deliver papers as a kid was his shining moment.  If he gets nominated for best SA, and he probably won't, but if he does, that's the clip they show.

8.5/10

I really enjoyed it as well.  I just don't quite understand why she was such a bitch.  Thompson was one dimensional for 90% of the film and nothing that is shown in her flashbacks excuses her from being a completely nasty and insulting woman.  She had nothing good to say to anyone and nothing she saw, smelled, heard or read seemed to be to her liking.  What a horribly unlikable woman.

The film itself is enjoyable and while this is not Hanks' best performance the monologue he has about having to deliver papers as a kid was his shining moment.  If he gets nominated for best SA, and he probably won't, but if he does, that's the clip they show.

8.5/10

To be fair though, it sounds like she actually made Travers more likable than she even was in real life (at least concerning the development of Poppins). If you read about it online you can see that she pretty much hated everything about the movie until the day she died, even stipulating in her will that Disney could never have the Poppins rights again. She walked up to Disney on the red carpet of the premiere and demanded the animated sequence be taken out. That's just the kind of person it seems she was. Basically she needed the money or else no one would have ever gotten their hands on the movie rights. Reading about her, it sounded like she was very possessive of her writing and didn't want it in the hands of anyone else, not just Disney's.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

To be fair though, it sounds like she actually made Travers more likable than she even was in real life (at least concerning the development of Poppins). If you read about it online you can see that she pretty much hated everything about the movie until the day she died, even stipulating in her will that Disney could never have the Poppins rights again. She walked up to Disney on the red carpet of the premiere and demanded the animated sequence be taken out. That's just the kind of person it seems she was. Basically she needed the money or else no one would have ever gotten their hands on the movie rights. Reading about her, it sounded like she was very possessive of her writing and didn't want it in the hands of anyone else, not just Disney's.

I didn't like or dislike the movie because she was a horrible person, I just commented on her being a horrible person.  Thompson did a terrific job of bringing her to life.  I just think that's a terrible way to go through life, being about as warm as the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.

• Like 1

The film did a good job balancing the relationship between Travers and Walt because I think it would have too easy to make Travers the villain when essentially she was reluctant to let her creation go to Disney and she was a damaged individual as seen in the flashbacks. The film has loads of light moments, the scene where Travers was is her hotel room and it stuffed with Disney Toys and treats was great as was the Let go fly a kite sequence.

It's simply the best flavor of cheese out there.Doesn't really do anything great, but oozes personality and charm. I know Thompson will get a lot of praise (it's deserved) but credit needs to go out to the entire cast. I thought this was the definition of an ensemble performance.Sit back, get manipulated as fuck, and enjoy the show.B

• Like 1