lilmac

Monday Numbers (Actuals: Hunger Games-$3.4m, FRZ-$2.4m, Thor2-$0.53m, Homefront-$0.503m)

Hey, RTH, thanks for the info, I never knew this. I have a question though, how are cents figured in? Like say a movie ticket costs $8.75, yet grosses are like $10,032,202 - do they just round up to get a whole number? And kind of a more out there question - do you think every ticket is being accounted for? Or are there possibly some theaters, etc. that end up not being counted at times?

OK.....boy I'm just going to say I've had a lot to drink...Brain not quite functioning :)

For what they call "flash reporting" which is what you get with estimates/actuals....well actuals aren't really actuals on a Monday morning for example just close enough to it (not all theatres report or are collected).. it becomes actual once the official BO comes from every single theatre that has run a film and revenue collected during this process the money is counted to the cent.

When the theatre sends in their BO reports the GBO may match what was reported at the time of "flash reporting" or it may vary +/- the general rule of thumb is if the various is above certain % it may be investigated as to the difference.

So if you see  a film stop reporting at say 90mil and them you see a later cume update of 91m its because of the difference between "flash" and "actual plus BO collected after they stopped offically reporting (some studios will stop reporting a title that could still appear in say top 30, as an example Sony quite often do this)

When you see the MPAA report come out around March for prior years BO it is including what is the actual BO collected from every theatre for the prior year

International market in general has much better flash reporting than domestic and closer numbers to the final actual

• Like 13

OK.....boy I'm just going to say I've had a lot to drink...Brain not quite functioning :)

For what they call "flash reporting" which is what you get with estimates/actuals....well actuals aren't really actuals on a Monday morning for example just close enough to it (not all theatres report or are collected).. it becomes actual once the official BO comes from every single theatre that has run a film and revenue collected during this process the money is counted to the cent.

When the theatre sends in their BO reports the GBO may match what was reported at the time of "flash reporting" or it may vary +/- the general rule of thumb is if the various is above certain % it may be investigated as to the difference.

So if you see  a film stop reporting at say 90mil and them you see a later cume update of 91m its because of the difference between "flash" and "actual plus BO collected after they stopped offically reporting (some studios will stop reporting a title that could still appear in say top 30, as an example Sony quite often do this)

When you see the MPAA report come out around March for prior years BO it is including what is the actual BO collected from every theatre for the prior year

International market in general has much better flash reporting than domestic and closer numbers to the final actual

Wow, okay ive always wondered that. Thanks RTH.  :D Last question, when studios stop tracking the gross, do they stop getting the money? Like if Lionsgate stops tracking CF at $6,000 in 50 theaters, does that mean they dont get the remainder and just let the remaining 50 theaters have it all?

Edited by Jandrew

Wow, okay ive always wondered that. Thanks RTH.  :D Last question, when studios stop tracking the gross, do they stop getting the money? Like if Lionsgate stops tracking CF at $6,000 in 50 theaters, does that mean they dont get the remainder and just let the remaining 50 theaters have it all?

Oh god no they'll still get it , if CF is playing say somewhere in 2 years time the money is collected and the cume total changes now even if they report the change in cume , reporting agencies may/may not reflect it.

Heres another tidbit

there was about 80 or so titles "reported" on for weekend but there were several hundred titles playing (for example Smurfs 2 earned money on weekend but it wasnt "reported" on)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 11

Oh god no they'll still get it , if CF is playing say somewhere in 2 years time the money is collected and the cume total changes now even if they report the change in cume , reporting agencies may/may not reflect it.

Heres another tidbit

there was about 80 or so titles "reported" on for weekend but there were several hundred titles playing (for example Smurfs 2 earned money on weekend but it wasnt "reported" on)

Awesome! Thats crazy how they still get money but isnt reported, and yeah I figured the studio wouldn't give it up just like that haha. $6000 may not be alot to them, but thats enough to pay the donut boys and stylist haha.

You need to write a "Did You Know?" box office book. Hell I'd buy 2 copies.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

Just watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", starts off slow but picks up really well halfway through. Beautiful movie to look at. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Stiller has done a really good job directing it and the cameos are brilliantly handled.

• Like 2

Awesome! Thats crazy how they still get money but isnt reported, and yeah I figured the studio wouldn't give it up just like that haha. $6000 may not be alot to them, but thats enough to pay the donut boys and stylist haha.

You need to write a "Did You Know?" box office book. Hell I'd buy 2 copies.

:), they don't publicly need to report week on week beyond certain point maybe its films been out X weeks now and gross isn't really significant or if film drops under say 50k we won't bother putting the number out anymore, film reaches a certain threashold etc also like when some distributors decide to not bother reporting individual days just put out weekend/week totals . Titanic for example ran for a year or close in number of countries but some stopped week on week reporting after couple months, however regular intervals would update cume figure (and any further revenue earned in the last 15+ years)

• Like 7

:), they don't publicly need to report week on week beyond certain point maybe its films been out X weeks now and gross isn't really significant or if film drops under say 50k we won't bother putting the number out anymore, film reaches a certain threashold etc also like when some distributors decide to not bother reporting individual days just put out weekend/week totals . Titanic for example ran for a year or close in number of countries but some stopped week on week reporting after couple months, however regular intervals would update cume figure (and any further revenue earned in the last 15+ years)

Ive wondered sometimes why they just do the weekends and not the weekdays. I'm like "doesnt that mess up the gross?", but it makes alot more sense now.  :D Man I need to work where you do haha, this is the kind of math that I like.

Edited by Jandrew

I've always wondered how long some movies run even after they stop being reported. Like how cool would it be to find out if some random theater in Arizona or something was still playing The Avengers.

I've always wondered how long some movies run even after they stop being reported. Like how cool would it be to find out if some random theater in Arizona or something was still playing The Avengers.

:) TA not this week, His Girl Friday (1940) played this week along with many other titles earlier this year and back decades
  • Like 2