baumer

American Hustle (2013)

83 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

Every single person in the main cast was exceptional acting-wise. The DeNiro cameo was totally brilliant as well. Even though I really DO NOT like Bradley Cooper as an actor, I still respected how well he played his role in the film. I was totally loving what happened to his character at the end.

In particular, Bale, Adams and Lawrence had the most incredible performances in the film, just wow!

A+ for me, the best film of 2013 in my eyes.

Finally got around to seeing this and boy what fun movie AH was. The acting was excellent all around , but more importantly I thought the movie was fun and it held my interest from start to finish. American Hustle could have had a 4 hour run time, and I would have happily sat there and watched all 4 hours.

American Hustle and Silver Lining's Playbook have really made me a fan of David O' Russell and I look forward to seeing what he does next.

Just saw this again to finally make up my mind. I could only get through about half of it before giving up. The direction by David O. Russell is outstanding, the acting by the entire cast is amazing (especially Amy Adams), and the dialogue is well written (for the most part). The issues I had with the film have to do with its plotting and characters. In terms of plotting, I feel like Russell used too much voice over to tell us things, as opposed to showing them to us. For example, we are told how Irving relates to both his wife and his mistress from voiceover, but we rarely get to see them interacting in actual scenes. Irving tells us that Edith is unlike any woman he has ever met, but we don't get a lot of moments showing us how she is so different. The same is true for Edith and Richard in this film. We are told everything about their characters, but rarely shown it (and when we are shown it, it's only for like a moment, as opposed to the entire film).As a result, the characters feel thin and uninteresting. I have no interest if Irving or Edith get out of their predicament, I have no interest in what happens to Roslyn, and I have no interest in what happens to Richard. And with little interest, I don't really feel like watching anymore of the film.I won't grade it because I didn't finish it fully. But if I had to grade it, it would be around a C+ 

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007

I had to visit and bump this thread out of morbid curiosity. I feel like my opinion of this film will be quite controversial, so be warned.

I saw this movie about a year and a half ago and it was that first movie for me that I noticed the artistry in. I don't know, some people call DOR almost directionless, but this movie fully made me realize there were whole crew behind the camera.

First, energy. This movie gets compared to Scorsese-- this is why. It is loud and even when it is soft, it is still loud. It has great intertia and forward momentum. I was fully encapsulated by everything happening on the screen throughout.

The acting is obviously phenomenal. I'd rate them:

Bale, Adams, Renner, Lawerence, Cooper. I will defend Lawerence casting though. Everyone says she is too young for the role, but I think that was the point. She's immature throughout the movie and clearly is in over her head. The fact that she was able to create a complex character out of what she got is kind of astounding. I followed her ups-and-downs do well and got emotional when she told the mobster "I hate change." Tbh, that is a scene I'll remember my whole life. She was in the weakest category for awards and I think she really did deserve a second Oscar that night.

Another complaint people have is the pacing and self indulgence. I think these two go hand-and-hand. I really like how the film has this convoluted story and doesn't know how to always convey it. I feel like it is an intentional flare and helps with the energy. I think DOR was actually trying to create an unevenness and a sort of banter to the story telling.

I can't put into words how I feel about this film properly. It is too late and I'm too in my head, but I love this movie and am very passionate about it.

A+, masterpiece. One of the best films of the decade so far.

I enjoyed it - thought the acting was fantastic & the 70s was portrayed very well.  Liked Christian Bale & Jeremy Renner's characters the most.  Amy Adams is always terrific & Jennifer Lawrence was very good - made me laugh & drove me crazy at the same time.  Not a fan of Bradley Cooper so he really annoyed the hell out of me in this movie - I really hated him & was so glad he got his at the end.  Honestly don't think it deserved an Oscar nomination but it was a fun ride.  

Watched it a second time this past semester with my ex. Did not enjoy it as much as my initial Christmas viewing. Bale is still incredible and Renner is a standout. Cooper and Adams are totlly good, and Louis is a star. Lawrence, didn't buy it after watching Robbie in WOWS. All that said, this movie feels much more like a collection of scenes then a movie. It has no cohesion or rhythm. Its like DOR got a bunch of buddies together and shot some great pieces for their acting portfolio, and then decided to release it as a movie. That said, I don't hate it like some do, because Bale is just so infinitely watchable.

Watched it a second time this past semester with my ex. Did not enjoy it as much as my initial Christmas viewing. Bale is still incredible and Renner is a standout. Cooper and Adams are totlly good, and Louis is a star. Lawrence, didn't buy it after watching Robbie in WOWS. All that said, this movie feels much more like a collection of scenes then a movie. It has no cohesion or rhythm. Its like DOR got a bunch of buddies together and shot some great pieces for their acting portfolio, and then decided to release it as a movie. That said, I don't hate it like some do, because Bale is just so infinitely watchable.

According to Christian Bale much of the movie was improvised. So, during the shooting of the film he noted to David O. Russell, "You realize that this is going to change the plot greatly down track." To which the director replied, "Christian, I hate plots. I am all about characters, that's it."
Edited by Goffe

I liked it better than the first time, the characters are really fun to watch and I have no idea, among its 10 nominations, how it wasn't even nominated to best cinematography 70/100

Really? I thought the cinematography was nice but nothing spectacular.

I think Joy looks lovely so far. Woozy, wintery and dreamy looking.

Really? I thought the cinematography was nice but nothing spectacular.

I think Joy looks lovely so far. Woozy, wintery and dreamy looking.

It is so vivid, it exhales so much energy and playfulness, all at once.

Some moments that are simply orgasmically good.

from 31 to 59 seconds

from 14 to 34 seconds

from 2:07 to 2:11

the entire fucking clip

I think AH should have been nominated over at least one of them (Nebraska), it was also better than Llewyn Davis, and just as good as Prisoners.
  • Like 1

It is so vivid, it exhales so much energy and playfulness, all at once.

Some moments that are simply orgasmically good.

from 31 to 59 seconds

from 14 to 34 seconds

from 2:07 to 2:11

the entire fucking clip

I think AH should have been nominated over at least one of them (Nebraska), it was also better than Llewyn Davis, and just as good as Prisoners.

Maybe I'm wrong, but those seem more like direction things rather than cinematography no?

Watching these clips makes me remember how much I love this movie. Wow.

Maybe I'm wrong, but those seem more like direction things rather than cinematography no?

Watching these clips makes me remember how much I love this movie. Wow.

I could be 101% wrong, but directors don't have any particular function other than telling other people what to do, giving them directions (no pun intended :lol:). The director comes with a vision and the crew comes with skills, sometimes both.

A cinematographer takes care of the lighting, composition and camera motion. His job is to think how and what we are going to see it.