baumer

American Hustle (2013)

83 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Quite enjoyed it, although I did find it a bit long (Seems to be general concensus) all the performances are great , Liked coopers character and JL almost steals the show

Jennifer Lawrence performance hardly stole the show, Amy Adam, Christain Bale and Bradley Cooper were all much more compelling.

• Like 1

Cooper was probably my favorite (as he was in SLP, though by a much more noticeable margin). I have a thing for characters who become completely unhinged.

Great movie. I did notice how long it was but I honestly wouldn't have had it any other way. Once the movie kicked into full gear in the second half it never really dragged and I didn't really want it to end. The ending didn't leave me floored but this type of film usually doesn't have the most compelling endings, just a "and that's that" type. Which is fine.

I can't say I put it above Pines but of the movies I've seen this is my second favorite. I also certainly wouldn't classify it as a comedy. It was absolutely hysterical in a few scenes, but it was definitely just another in a long line of dramas with really great humor in them.

It's a lot different than I expected going in. I'm going to say right off any BP talk is an outright joke. This is an uneven film that really could have used some depth.That being said, it's still a good film with good performances. You do definitely feel the length though.In the end, I'd describe this as a silly, fun, and funny film with great acting and good dialogue. Nothing more, nothing less. I prefer both The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook.B+/B

• Like 1

After sleeping on it the grade is actually more of a B/B-. It's actually a very slight film that doesn't really leave any kind of impact. A couple of times in the film you feel like it's about to get going, but never really does.Good film, but sadly somewhat shallow and forgettable.

After sleeping on it the grade is actually more of a B/B-. It's actually a very slight film that doesn't really leave any kind of impact. A couple of times in the film you feel like it's about to get going, but never really does.Good film, but sadly somewhat shallow and forgettable.

I feel exactly this way

Bale is great. He really creates this character just by motions and speech patterns. Renner and De Niro are also good. Louis CK is very well cast. And the makeup/hairstyling work is obviously excellent. 

That's all I really have to say about it. The film left no impact with me. It needed a stronger edit and script revision. Felt like they were rushing it out in time for Oscar season and they needed more time in the oven. Also- controversial statement coming up- I think Lawrence and Cooper are terribly miscast. 

• Like 1

"American Hustle is a bustling ball of fun and thrill, and a mainstream film that is very refreshing to see in a cinema world that uses an abundance of CGI action to entertain their audience and American Hustle proves you don't need to explosions to be thrilling, you don't need gags to be funny, and you don't need an over the top, unique premise to be smart and original." 
Read more at 
http://thepandaflicksreviews.blogspot.com/2013/12/american-hustle-review.html

Bale is great. He really creates this character just by motions and speech patterns. Renner and De Niro are also good. Louis CK is very well cast. And the makeup/hairstyling work is obviously excellent. 

That's all I really have to say about it. The film left no impact with me. It needed a stronger edit and script revision. Felt like they were rushing it out in time for Oscar season and they needed more time in the oven. Also- controversial statement coming up- I think Lawrence and Cooper are terribly miscast. 

Aside from Cooper, who I think along with Adams, were very good; pretty much agree with you. Louis CK is definitely a bright spot.

The movie's script is so-so to me, and it kinda felt empty. The story isn't really engaging.

I don't think JLaw is miscast, but she wasn't as great as the hype make it out to be IMO. 

What grade would you give it? Mine is probably a B.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

I gave both The Fighter and SLP a B+, and this one a B; so yeah, definitely the least interesting out of the 3. Also, American Hustle just cemented for me that I'm not much fond of DOR's styles/directions in general  ^_^

I will say this Russell is a damn good filmmaker.

Adams - she was great but shes just adams being adams.

Cooper - Loved him in it, he just has a great time and presence on screen. 

Bale - Deserves an Oscar nom, he is another level. Top 3 actor working today, be blew me away, he's not even acting.

Renner - Surprised me the most, he needs to do more roles like this, 2nd best only to Bale.

J-Law - I love her to death but I think she was miscast maybe, she's good but something always felt off. 

B+ (89)

Edit: Also I thought only Bale's inner monologue should be heard. Didn't like anyone else's. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood