baumer

American Hustle (2013)

83 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Really enjoyed this one.  The performances were top notch (especially Bale and Adams).  Though I felt something was missing to put it over the top to greatness, it's a great addition to Russell's resume. Look forward to seeing it again after watching the ending.

Also, the scene where Cooper is celebrating is hilarious!

B+

• Like 2

Soooooo much better than SLP. Easily Russell's best. I didn't think the script was "messy" at all, I thought it was well paced, and every actor was excellent. Definitely one of the best of the year--either my #2 or #3 after 12 Years A Slave and Gravity.

9/10, A

American Hustle: What can I say except that Hustle will no doubt be nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Screenplay. Seriously to me what Christian Bale looks like in this movie is what he should of looked like in the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises. That is how you look when you been out of combat for 8 years. Jennifer Lawrence again knocks it out of park in her role. Amy Adams is just amazing in this movie. The music selection in this movie is also top notch. There was lots of music that was in this movie that I really wanted to go home and listen too. The only negative thing I have to say about the movie is that its a little too long. If they shorten the character's back story segment and cut the film 15 minutes the film would of been at a perfect length. 

Grade: A-

American Hustle: What can I say except that Hustle will no doubt be nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Screenplay. Seriously to me what Christian Bale looks like in this movie is what he should of looked like in the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises. That is how you look when you been out of combat for 8 years. Jennifer Lawrence again knocks it out of park in her role. Amy Adams is just amazing in this movie. The music selection in this movie is also top notch. There was lots of music that was in this movie that I really wanted to go home and listen too. The only negative thing I have to say about the movie is that its a little too long. If they shorten the character's back story segment and cut the film 15 minutes the film would of been at a perfect length. 

Grade: A-

I really hope you are wrong about this. This is not one of the best films of the year.  It's good but not worthy of all that praise.

This is one of those films that is going to live off its hype and the prestige of those involved. The reception of this film would have been very different if it had been a quiet project with a no-name director going in.I really need to see The Wolf of Wall Street, Her, and Inside Llewyn Davis to get this "BP" candidate vibe out of my mouth.

Right now I will give it a B+. The actor brings this film to another level but the screenplay was average. Bale and Adams both are fantastic. Renner is great and Copper is also great. I like Jlaw but her character did not seem that important and her story was bit as interesting as the other characters. The makeup in the film is also great.B+.

• Like 2

D 5/10

So this is the one of most overrated films of 2013 so far I have seen. Your nostalgia, I dont get it.

Too American. If Hollywood keep making more and more American friendly films like those, they will eventually lose international markets.

No wonder when domestic box office is breaking records in 2013 while OS box office has decreased at least 10% from 2012.

D 5/10

So this is the one of most overrated films of 2013 so far I have seen. Your nostalgia, I dont get it.

Too American. If Hollywood keep making more and more American friendly films like those, they will eventually lose international markets.

No wonder when domestic box office is breaking records in 2013 while OS box office has decreased at least 10% from 2012.

While I understand what you are saying, there are films that don't have to appeal to an international audience.  There are stories that are just plain American.  You can't ask them to stop making those.  

• Like 1

D 5/10 So this is the one of most overrated films of 2013 so far I have seen. Your nostalgia, I dont get it. Too American. If Hollywood keep making more and more American friendly films like those, they will eventually lose international markets.

Yes, let's take a film based on real-life American history and spice it up for international audiences with some epic CGI and fantasy elements. That will surely ensure huge international dollars for this movie!!!Nah, we only do that to other countries' stories, like 47 Ronin.
  • Like 2

Not saying studios should not make these at all. Just dont make too many ...

But really, they don't.  But there is a market for just American stories.  Many of them get released at Oscar time.  :)

• Like 1

Yes, let's take a film based on real-life American history and spice it up for international audiences with some epic CGI and fantasy elements. That will surely ensure huge international dollars for this movie!!!Nah, we only do that to other countries' stories, like 47 Ronin.

C'mon man, that's uncalled for. What are you saying, that we're only capable of enjoying silly CGI fantasies? I enjoy good stories, period, no matter the location.

C'mon man, that's uncalled for. What are you saying, that we're only capable of enjoying silly CGI fantasies? I enjoy good stories, period, no matter the location.

You know I was joking. But it is a true story. Over-fantasized, over-CGIzed shit that flops domestically still makes a bundle overseas.Like Eragon (2006) or The Golden Compass (2007).
  • Like 1

You know I was joking. But it is a true story. Over-fantasized, over-CGIzed shit that flops domestically still makes a bundle overseas.Like Eragon (2006) or The Golden Compass (2007).

And that is natural. Few non-Americans are interested in pure American stories.

Why Hollywood can dominate the world film industry ? Because they are the best, technically (visuals, sound, entertaining storytelling ...). For Hollywood blockbusters, less America-centered = more OS gross.

Well, I can't say it was a great movie or a bad one, so I'll just go with saying that it was okay. Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of make up and clothing, and certainly not of that story (I don't know, it was pretty... simple, I guess), I can say that Cooper and Bale were pretty great in it. I was kinda neutral about Jeremy's and Amy's performance, whilst I thought that Lawrence's character was a dumb bitch, which she fit perfectly. I didn't like her at all in this movie - she just had those moments where she tried, but failed.

I noticed that the movie tried more to get into characters, but never managed to make you actually care for those characters. I mean, I didn't care for Cooper's character getting screwed over, or for Renner's character freaking out.

It's considered a Comedy, which I don't think so. The only scenes that were actually funny were the ones with Cooper (especially him celebrating - that was hilarious), but the others lacked that funny side a bit. They didn't try to make them likeable.

Whilst I think Cooper deserves a nomination without a doubt, I wouldn't expect Adams to get one. Bale does deserve one, especially for that transformation and his convincing acting, whilst Lawrence doesn't deserve one, but of course, her farts smell like a summer breeze so she'll get one probably... I still think Cooper is the most talented guy in the whole movie - he just came late to the party and didn't really have a chance to prove himself yet. He only had two movies that were actually Oscar worthy, both of which he pulled off without any kind of problems. Really hope he wins an Oscar in the close future.

B+