CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

I understand, but the fact is, the first 2 Hobbit movies are nowhere near as well received critically or commercially. I'm not saying it ONLY because of all the extra padding, but it is having an effect. One three hour movie would have been more than enough to tell this story and I think it would have had a chance to be a legitimately great movie.

It would have been impossible. You would have to cut a lot of events, reduce the dwarves group, kill the sense of a journey... Not showing Dol Guldur...
  • Like 3

The LOTR trilogy is 3 books(obviously) weighing it at about 1350-1400 pages. It was made into 3 movies that totaled a little over 9 hours(theatrically). The Hobbit is one book that is about 275 pages. It is being made into 3 movies that will total roughly 7.5 hours. I don't want to blame Jackson, WB did set this trend with HP first after all, but I've seen his King Kong. At this point, they're just enabling him.

Oh, it's definitely all Jackson (any creative successes and failures). My point was only that the intent wasn't a cynical cash-grab -- if anything, it's the opposite: he's so in love with the material that he can't let go, and so he loses perspective on making the leanest, best movie possible. I'm actually fine with a trilogy, but IMO both movies should've been closer to 120-130 minutes. (I can't comment on TABA, obviously).
  • Like 4