Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

1:03a.m. eastern time

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug 3 Sellouts in Manhattan, NY

Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas - 0 Sellouts in Manhattan, NY

Catching Fire - 3 Sellouts in Manhattan, NY

Frozen - 0 Sellouts in Manhattan, NY

Edited by B J
  • Like 2

Age old rule. Make a movie that disappoints, the folks won't show up for the next one. Simple as that, and they were smart enough to smell a cynical cash-grab like this. And before anyone whines about "hating," I love the LOTR trilogy and actually liked Desolation of Smaug. But it deserves this reception.

Deserves? It's better than TH: AUJ and it deserves 'this' reception?

1:03a.m. eastern time

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug 3 Sellouts in Manhattan, NC

Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas - 0 Sellouts in Manhattan, NC

Catching Fire - 3 Sellouts in Manhattan, NC

Frozen - 0 Sellouts in Manhattan, NC

27m Friday for Catching Fire confirmed.

• Like 1

Age old rule. Make a movie that disappoints, the folks won't show up for the next one. Simple as that, and they were smart enough to smell a cynical cash-grab like this. And before anyone whines about "hating," I love the LOTR trilogy and actually liked Desolation of Smaug. But it deserves this reception.

I don't think it's a cynical cash-grab.

• Like 5

1:05a.m. eastern time

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug 4 Sellouts in Washington, DC

Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas - 0 Sellouts in Washington, DC

Catching Fire - 1 Sellouts in Washington, DC

Frozen - 0 Sellouts in Washington, DC

Apparently CF taught a whopping total of no one here a lesson about jumping to quick conclusions with OWs. This is the Holiday people, if a movie is liked it will have great legs. AUJ got a 3.6x multi, despite the haters here claiming it was so disliked. Considering DOS seems to be near unanimously preferred to AUJ so far, and has a smaller opening, a multi of 3.8x+ should follow.

• Like 2

1:06a.m. eastern time

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug - 4 Sellouts in Baltimore, MD

Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas - 0 Sellouts in Baltimore, MD

Catching Fire - 2 Sellouts in Baltimore, MD

Frozen - 0 Sellouts in Baltimore, MD

Edited by B J

1:07a.m. eastern time

The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug - 4 Sellouts in Houston, TX

Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas - 4 Sellouts in Houston, TX

Catching Fire - 0 Sellouts in Houston, TX

Frozen - 1 Sellouts in Houston, TX

Apparently CF taught a whopping total of no one here a lesson about jumping to quick conclusions with OWs. This is the Holiday people, if a movie is liked it will have great legs. AUJ got a 3.6x multi, despite the haters here claiming it was so disliked. Considering DOS seems to be near unanimously preferred to AUJ so far, and has a smaller opening, a multi of 3.8x+ should follow.

After, TA, IM3 and CF

I thought people would learn thier lesson.

I think Hobbit 2 will clear 250 with ease. 

Movies are front loaded these days but not every film is twilight now. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

Turning one tight kids book into a trilogy of near 3 hour films screams cynical cash grab.

No, not really. For reasons that have been endlessly belabored. Is PJ hopelessly entangled in his own gigantism of action sequences and over-plotted/developed arcs? Does he meander through digressions that entertain him but don't drive the story forward? Absolutely.

But that doesn't have anything do with cynicism or money; it just means the man loves to go out of control and (apparently) is unwilling to restrain himself when it comes to telling a story. If anything, it's the opposite of cynicism.

And honestly, he's been drifting down this path since '05 at least (I know some would say since '03, though I disagree).

• Like 3

But I don't think it was done for those reasons.

It wasn't. It was done because PJ can't ever edit stuff he wants in his movies out. With how huge the LOTR trilogy was, the man could shit $20's for the rest of his life and still be rich. He doesn't need the money, rather he's obsessed with cramming everything he wants into this adaptation.

• Like 1