CoolioD1

Weekend Estimates: The Hobbit - 73.6M | Frozen - 22.2M | Madea - 16M

It's still far too early. Aside from Rth's original big range most early numbers (which were a couple hours later than this) last night had Hobbit below 30 million at the highest, and potentially as low as 26 also. I fully expect these numbers to jump a couple million by night's end.

If DOS matches AUJ's Friday-midnights increase, it is at 25.7m.

The inital rough est I did was done 3-4p WC time 26-31, others came in later at around 27 mark from memory then quite a few hrs later I updated 31.5-32.5 I then did 31.5 (can't recall if posted that here) came in at 31.1 but that looks like it will increase with actuals

• Like 9

5:45 :) and it was done earlier than that.

Basically look at sample data so far add in some historical data and few other things and extrapolate from that

Thanks for the explanation.  I think the number makes perfect sense. 

• Founder / Operator

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure that out when it's only 6:45 on the West coast? 

As Rth pretty much answered, sounds like he does what we do here when we project weekend numbers based on Friday estimates. With his access to that gold mine of box office information that goes far more in-depth and into detail than the studios would ever be willing to report publicly, he can do on a microcosmic scale what we do here when we project daily or weekends numbers based on the combination of official numbers and past historical performers/dates.

I'd love to see real-time box office data coming in across multiple geographic locations just for one Friday night. *drool*

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Kinda with Numbers on this one, I'd wait and see what it looks like later. East coast business is a bit more depressed than west coast this weekend due to winter weather (possibly being a factor in last night's uptick).

• Like 2

Kinda with Numbers on this one, I'd wait and see what it looks like later. East coast business is a bit more depressed than west coast this weekend due to winter weather (possibly being a factor in last night's uptick).

Wait, we don't wait, we react to every minuscule change. ;)  I want meltdowns now. :lol:   

• Like 3

Keep in mind, for whatever this is worth, there is a massive snowstorm and cold front from Detroit/Windsor to Newfoundland/Massachusetts.  So that's a massive amount of dollars that will be muted Saturday.  Sunday doesn't look much better in terms of weather.  So at least the loonies can use this as an excuse.  :)

• Like 2